3D Printed Stargate model kit.

Muzza

Sr Member
Here is my build of the 3D printed Stargate I purchased the other day.
The centre is 13" in diameter and has a working Chevron.
The kit can also be fitted with stepper motors to run the symbols and a second motor to work the chevron. Plus a multitude of LED's
IMG_5967.jpgIMG_5968.jpg

Which Stargate is this? It's neither the Tau'ri nor the Atlantis Stargate.

Edit:
Nvmd. It's the backside of the Stargate. :lol:
What you are seeing is the detail on the back of the gate, I need to get this all glued up to give the model some rigidity, you will just have to keep watching to see which gate I will be making.

Dammit! spoiling my lime light...... Im actually about to start a stargate working miniature.... I wasnt going to announce it till after my upcoming video... Im actually doing a little work in cad on it right now as i have a few days free between waiting for bits....

Nice print though :D

Dammit! spoiling my lime light...... Im actually about to start a stargate working miniature.... I wasnt going to announce it till after my upcoming video... Im actually doing a little work in cad on it right now as i have a few days free between waiting for bits....

Nice print though :D
I bought it as a kit of a local War gaming terrain printing company.

Very neat! I do love seeing anything Stargate and this project is great to see progress.

Now if MGM would bring Stargate back........

What size LED are you thinking of?
There is about a 6mm flat on the inside face.
I don't know really, I was thinking maybe something along the lines of those LEDs on a wire, although they're pretty dim. I really don't know much about LEDs so I'd go with the smallest pre-made set, preferably in a string, that I could find.

You can leds in VERY small packages..

I wouldnt bother with EL...

You can them so small, that they are almost impossible to solder by hand!

I would look into maybe some 1206 SMD (surface mount) LEDS and see if those work..

You could also get some RGB or even 'neopixel' leds..... (the later require a micro controller, but if you are going to be using a stepper you'll need a driver and brain anyways) .. and that way you can control the color (individually) and any sort of pattern(s)..

Since I don't know squat about electronics, much less making my own LED set, if I were to light something like this up it would have to be with a pre-made LED. Something with everything all hooked up, no soldering or anything needed, just plug in or put in batteries and I'm good to go.

Riceball

ahh.. but you can! :)

I mean I guess there will ultimately be SOME sort of assembly.. (these arent kits for specific models or anything... so you'd have to place them we you need them.. and ultimately connect to a power source... in its minimalist form)...

From there.. you can add a micro controller.. (and there are people here who can help with that if interested ever!) :)

I'm surprised there are 0402 sized leds pre-wired.. they are sooooo small! thats literally 4mm x 2mm in size!

Also.. (and I know its not for everyone).. but those who are interested in taking the next step into this world.. I highly recommend getting started with an Arduino UNO board..

Follow any of the 1000000000 tutorials.. and you'll be making your own stuff in no time at all. Its designed for people like me (who dont know electronics like a real EE...etc) to make it easier to bridge the gap.

Always here to help as well! :)

I was thinking of something more like this, but not necessarily this specific product.

Something that's all pre-wired and ready to go out of the box.

They also make small LEDs specifically for going inside Gundam models that might work if placed in the base.

The led strip you posted is used by MANY who just want some static lighting type effects.

However those are 5050 sized leds and are also a flexible strip.. not as small as the others posted, and not using 'wires' which lends to more/better placement.. however it really depends on the project.. if its big project and lots of space.. not an issue. :)

I still recommend any 'maker' to throw a few hours of time at Arduino to totally expand your props skills/abilities and offerings.. but also to open a whole new world of things you can do!!.. I consider myself a hobbyist at best.. but I can now make my own pcb's for custom projects..etc.. and write my own code to do (more or less) whatever I want to do..

I enjoy bringing static props 'to life'.. and helping others achieve that with their 'holy grail' props.. (or help on runs with others here..etc)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back