3D Printed Rita Vrataski Heliblade from Edge of Tomorrow

kalkamel

Master Member
The Heliblade from Edge of Tomorrow is one prop I've wanted to own ever since I saw the movie. Recently, I found a free STL on Myminifactory and I immediately downloaded it. I sliced the files at 0.15 layer height and printed them on my Anycubic Mega X using Flashforge PLA Pro filament. After about a week of printing, I had these parts.
rps20210826_010721.jpg

Here they are rough-fitted together. Cat for scale.
rps20210826_010741.jpg

I wasn't happy with the handle itself as it looked a tad short compared to the actual prop, so I edited the handle file and made it longer. Surprisingly the overall dimension is quite similar to the actual prop. Here it is after some gluing, filling and sanding.
rps20210826_010758.jpg

Had.to stop working on it for a couple of weeks due to a sprained wrist but once I got better, I started on it again. Here it is after I spray painted the base colors.
rps20210826_011557.jpg

The file itself came with the stencils for the blade. I also designed the ID label using the Propstore auction pictures. After a bit of weathering, this is what I got.
rps20210826_005912.jpg

rps20210826_005929.jpg
rps20210826_005941.jpg
rps20210826_005952.jpg
rps20210826_010000.jpg

rps20210826_010009.jpg

It was fun project that involved a LOT of sanding and filling but I'm happy with the end result. I'm gonna try and find a STL for a stand I can use to display it.

Thanks for reading.

The result was worth all the sanding I'd say.

I've wanted one of these for a while now, seeing how well you've finished yours might just tip me over into getting the printing started.

What paint did you use for the dark portion of the blade?

TazMan2000

Its regular spray can flat black which I sprayed Krylon Matte Finish over. I then scuffed it up with sandpaper and weathered it with Tamiya Model Masters. The silver portions are regular spray can silver with graphite powder rubbed on them.

Last edited:
Its regular spay can flat black which I sprayed Krylon Matte Finish over. I then scuffed it up with sandpaper and weathered it with Tamiya Model Masters. The silver portions are regular spray can silver with graphite powder rubbed on them.

It might be the flash or the weathering, but it looks like a parkerized finish. The painted lettering really looks authentic.

TazMan2000

The UDF Sticker looks amazing. Fantastic execution and finished sword. Love it. If you ever come across the UDF sticker I would be interested as i'm planning on designing one myself in Fusion etc. :)
Thanks for sharing this with everyone

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back