3D printed Models - Aetherium 3 Starship

Hagoth

Sr Member
Figured I'd share an experiment with designing and printing a custom model kit. In this case the Aetherium 3 design is not mine. I have simply started with it and turned it into a simple two piece model kit. The Aetherium 3 was designed by Edwin Pangman. You can find more of Ed's prolific work on Shapeways at the following link including the original versions of this design. Future Imports by ancientsoul - Shapeways Shops

Ed has very graciously given me permission to upload my kit conversion of his creation to Thingiverse for all to enjoy.
So, for anyone who wants to join in building one you can find the files here:

This project came about during the process of printing a 3" version for the Ed. After completion I scaled it up to 6" long and turned it into a 2 piece model kit.

Here is the progress I've made so far.

Original.jpgOriginal 2.jpg
This is the original model created by Ed.

Supports.jpg
I added supports under critical corner overhangs around the landing gear to eliminate the need for slicer generated supports.

Kit 2.jpg
I opened up the engine exhaust nozzles for cleaner printing.

Kit Split.jpg
Then I split the model in half and added in alignment pin holes. The alignment pin holes are sized to accept 4.4mm long pieces of 1.75mm filament.

With the design work finished the next step is printing.

Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for updates.
Jeff

Watching the print materialize on the printer bed is always fascinating to watch. Here is what I watched form.

IMG_5685.JPG
Using 0.05mm layers to produce a smooth surface quality.

IMG_5691.JPG
Massive overhangs! Looking very nice.

IMG_5703.JPG
IMG_5708.JPG
Almost done!

IMG_5712.JPGIMG_5711.JPG
30 hours later I had raw parts ready to work on.

Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for updates
Jeff

It kind of reminds me of the Lost in Space "Joey from friends" Jupiter 2. I always liked that ship for some reason. There is something pleasing/calming about an egg shape. Cool print. How come you didn't print any supports? I know they don't help much with quality, but it would minimise some risk. Still impressed with your print.

It kind of reminds me of the Lost in Space "Joey from friends" Jupiter 2. I always liked that ship for some reason. There is something pleasing/calming about an egg shape. Cool print. How come you didn't print any supports? I know they don't help much with quality, but it would minimise some risk. Still impressed with your print.
Thank you! Yeah, I had a similar impression of a Jupiter 2 flavor. I also see hints of voyager and some classic UFO saucer mixed in. I agree the egg shape is really pleasing to the eye.

I went with no slicer generated supports because of the mess they caused with the original 3" print. The surface quality was really crappy and took way too long to clean up. Even tried to print it on its nose (massive brim to keep it stable) and while that came out better it still had a small shift line in it and it took a long time to print.

I have a really good part cooling fan duct on my printers and can handle 15 degree overhangs with no issues at 0.05mm layer height so there was little risk of a failure with this split halves method. The only thing I had to do was support the overhung corners around the landing gear. Typically anything over 30 degrees off horizontal for me doesn't get supports.

All things considered I'm very pleased with the print. The pictures don't really show how smooth the outer surfaces feel to the touch. Looking forward to a primer coat to really see. There was a minimal amount of clean up and after a bit more detail work I think this will turn out a nice little display piece.

Progress for the day.

IMG_5729.JPG
Supports around the landing gear removed and parts cleaned up. Cut the pins. 4mm long

IMG_5730.JPG
Sanded the matting surfaces for a flat fit and inserted the pins.

IMG_5731.JPG
Test fit. Always test fit. Turns out the pins needed more clearance so I trimmed them to 3mm long.
Huh, the holes are designed to be 5mm deep.

IMG_5732.JPG
Glued together and clamped.

Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for updates.
Jeff

Haven't had much time to work on the physical model but here is a quick update to share renderings of the color concept I'm zeroing in on.

I think it looks pretty cool emphasizing that the engine nozzles are integrated into the shell of the body instead of the typical attached look.

Color Scheme Below.jpg

Color Scheme.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back