3d printed Iron Man MK 1.5/ Flight Test 2.0/Mech Test build *first boot done*

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by drumguy560, Mar 1, 2015.

1. drumguy560

drumguy560 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all!

In between paint coats on my Ant-Man Helmet, I'm going to try printing out this entire suit to have it ready for Planet Comic-Con in Kansas City the 14th of March.

Can I do it? We will see!

Here's a render of the finished boot. I'll begin printing it today. The cool thing about the files is that all of the ball joints are made to be printed in one piece, and be able to move. So theoretically I should have full range of motion.

I do plan on releasing the STLs after the suit is done, as it would be literally impossible to mass produce these, due to differences in sizes between folks. So here ya go! What do you guys think?

bootnew.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    8bitAlex, George and Murdoch like this.
  2. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Re: Iron Man MK 1.5/ Flight Test 2.0/Mech Test 2 week speed build, 3D Printed

This is amazing!

3. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool! You've been busy

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love it...GM

5. drumguy560

We have an Iron toe!

IMG_5671.JPG

George likes this.
  6. NoMaybeYes

NoMaybeYes New Member

Awesome model! I cant wait to be able to print these once you release them. A cosplay that doesnt feel like a ton of bricks!

7. drumguy560

Half of the Iron Boot Heel completed! Other half is printing now. only 10 hours to go! ;)

IMG_5683.JPG

George likes this.
  8. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

YUMMMMM

9. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks fantastic! What a great idea. What printer are you running?

10. drumguy560

Gordon Gekko - I use a reprappro prusa mendel i2. Really not the top of the line haha, but I've upgraded the snot out of it, and now it prints quite well!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  11. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No kidding, nice prints. I run an I3.

12. MorbidCharlie

MorbidCharlie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome stuff! Are you confident you can walk around in that boot with out damaging it?

13. drumguy560

MorbidCharlie - I am "semi" confident haha. I won't really know until I actually suit up in them and walk around. I am going to be putting in a foam insole, which should help distribute some of the weight on the boot, but the way that it's printed and held together, it should hold up fine!

14. drumguy560

Finished one shoe!

But......

When i started the shin print, I saw a spark from my thermistor, and then my temperature readings stopped......

I have a spare pack of thermistors I'll try to get installed tomorrow so I can get back printing on this thing again.

IMG_5691.JPG

George likes this.
  15. Warmachine2000

Warmachine2000 Active Member

I've always liked the mech tech armor, great job so far! I can't wait to see more

16. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

I love this build and I'm really glad to hear you'll be releasing your 3D models!

Are you making the arm parts as well, or just the boots? It would be awesome to see high detail arm parts made available!

17. GhostMinion

GhostMinion Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I'm having thermistors go after several long prints, too. Finding that keeping extras is a critical!

18. drumguy560

msleeper - I am doing the arms as well! and the arc reactor harness. I want this build to be everything except for the cloth parts.

msleeper and Bogleo like this.
  19. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Nice prints! Where did you buy your printer, and how much did it cost? What upgrades did you do to it?

20. drumguy560

Bogleo - I traded a guy on craigslist for my printer, I traded him straight across for a desktop computer. I've upgraded the hotend to an e3d (best decision anyone can make), upgraded the z stage to lm8uu bearings, upgraded the z couplers, switched to an aluminum bed, changed the filament fan for a centrifugal fan, upgraded the stepper motors to .9 degree motors, upgraded the electronics to ramps 1.4, and upgraded the stepper drivers to DRV9225 drivers with 1/32 microstepping.

Got the printer running again with a temporary thermistor setup! Printing the shin now, should be done in the morning!

George likes this.
  21. GhostMinion

Ugggh! All that reminds me of how much work I should be putting into mine. You're always making fun of my z wobble! :lol

After all, that's what bondo is for.

George and Kevin Gossett like this.
  22. drumguy560

GhostMinion -

Yeah, well....scratch that, printer oozed from the hotend, because the nozzle wasn't tight enough. Tightened the nozzle, and my thermistor went crack......So i'm waiting on a screw in, stud type thermistor from eBay right now, HOPEFULLY, will be here tomorrow...I'm going crazy in between paint and bondo drying on ant-man!

What upgrades would you want to do to your printers? I've heard aluminum z arms, and a glass build plate for the rep 2 may be good, and maybe a heated bed too? I think the taz supports automated bed leveling (not that it would need it haha), and the m2 seems pretty darn well near perfect already!

23. GhostMinion

Yeah, all of the above for the Rep 2. I'd say the heated bed isn't critical, but is something to be desired. But yeah, that gantry is very wobbly, so stiffening it up would be a plus. I do actually have a glass bed for it, though.

The Lulzbot need to be stiffened as well. Funny thing is that while I've modded the hell out of it for best PLA printing, I never installed any of the stiffer parts I printed. I need to get on that.

The M2, well I sure hope so. That's what all the reviews say at least. It is supposed to be very rigid, and they say this is where the super sharp resolution becomes possible. I guess we'll see, it should arrive on Monday.

Really, what it amounts to with my Taz is it's like having a really nice Camero. It's awesome, and really nice...........but it could be so much more if you put the time into it.

24. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Switched from what? A glass bed? I'm putting together the last parts for my printer, I've considered doing a aluminum bed but another person in my hackerspace bought one for a printer he is making, and the aluminum plate is far from machined level. I've not heard any first hand experiences with an aluminum bed, how do you like it? Do you print on kapton or just straight on the aluminum?

25. Kevin Gossett

Aluminum with kapton is good, but there's a chance the aluminum isn't perfectly level. Glass is better

kenlandrum and GhostMinion like this.
  26. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Yeah, that's what I have heard 9 times out of 10 of the time as well. The 2 printers we have both have a glass bed and I was planning on going that route for mine. I'm curious what experience with an aluminum bed is, or where you can get one as machined level as borosilicate.

27. drumguy560

@msleeper - I print straight on the aluminum sprayed with hairspray on pla. Kevin is right though, there is a chance you get an in level surface with aluminum. I was lucky to get a super flat piece. I ordered it off of eBay for about $10. A piece of 8x8 borosilicate glass will run about $30, or you can get cheap window glass cut to shape from the hardware store for much less. I used glass that wasn't very flat, and it chipped when I would pull abs prints off, so I switched to aluminum and have been very happy with it! Another upside to aluminum is that you can use a fostek inductive sensor for automated bed leveling.

Does your printer have a moving table? If so, you may be better off with glass, as it is lighter and easier to move around.

28. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

I have to get a piece of borosilicate custom cut. I wouldn't trust regular glass. We used a mirror on one of the printers at the hackerspace and it cracked from the heat eventually. And yeah my Y axis moves. I am building a big Mendel Max 2.

29. GhostMinion

Sounds to me like you are on the right track. I'd go borosilicate. Never printed on aluminum, though. But the glass beds for both of mine are as level as they come.

30. drumguy560

Got the shin printed up finally! Not gonna be ready by saturday unfortunately.....

IMG_5738.JPG

kenlandrum likes this.
  31. kenlandrum

kenlandrum Sr Member

Lookin' good! Can't wait to see this one finished.

32. drumguy560

Got most of the calf printed. Didn't have a big enough spool to do it all in one go. Although, it would have been able to fit on my print bed in it's entirety, if I had a large enough spool.

Should finish printing the calf soon, then all I have left to print on one boot are the ball joints! When I start printing the right boot, I will finish the gauntlet models, and while those are printing, will do the arc harness.

Thanks for keeping up guys!

IMG_5758.JPG

33. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

The amazing Technicolor flight test boot!

34. drumguy560

Welllll......

As you're probably aware by now, I didn't make it in time with this project hahahaha.

However, I got some time to work on it tonight, and have been messing around with the telescopic cylinders that tie everything together, and I've got them working pretty darn well!

The cylinders are 3d printed in 3 pieces, 2 eye holes, and one cylinder. Then the cylinder is tapered off with a soldering iron to 1.71 mm, then I use pliers to smush down one piece of filament on the end, then I push the filament piece into the cylinder, then use a soldering iron to attach the eyes to each end, then I solder the little "nubs" on the boot into a dome shape after pushing on the cylinders. If it sounds like a lot of work, that's because it is! But, as you can see in this picture, the effect is really killer !

IMG_5930.JPG

There is still some tweaking to be done for range of motion and durability's sake, but it's coming along, albeit slowly!

Here's a pic of the thing all attached and STANDING ON IT'S OWN WEIGHT!!!! WOO!

IMG_5931.JPG

God only knows when I'll actually be done with this thing. The plan is to start the arms after I've finished the boots. So ya know....

Keep it real!

Bright, stigmorgan and Westies14 like this.
  35. drumguy560

More progress.

Got a fairly nice metal finish on this, and got the telescoping cylinders worked out. Added a bunch of gack, still more to add though, printing a bunch of different pieces now.

IMG_6047.JPG IMG_6046.JPG IMG_6045.JPG IMG_6042.JPG IMG_6034.JPG

Tumbler, Bogleo and GhostMinion like this.
  36. Lobotomy

Lobotomy New Member

Holy S! That's AWESOME!!!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

37. JayCVenlo

JayCVenlo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

NICE!!!

38. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

It looks great!!! (y)cheers

39. bobbyh

bobbyh New Member

pretty slick, keep up the great work!

40. Warmachine2000

Warmachine2000 Active Member

Amazing!

EndGame94 likes this.
  41. drumguy560

this first boot is JUST about done. I need to add the braided metal sleeving ($$$), and the lighting, but after that I'd say this one boot is done! Then it's on to the next boot, then the arms, then the arc harness, then it's time to start shopping for clothes!

IMG_6075.JPG IMG_6077.JPG

Tumbler, Bright and stigmorgan like this.
  42. drumguy560

got my braided metal installed today, looks great!

I'm almost done wiring the lights up on this one, just waiting on a battery pack to get here.

Should be done this next week!

IMG_6137.JPG IMG_6138.JPG

GhostMinion and JWMines like this.
  43. drumguy560

Alright folks, looks like the first boot is done! Check out pics below

IMG_6156.JPG IMG_6158.JPG IMG_6161.JPG IMG_6159.JPG IMG_6162.JPG IMG_6163.JPG IMG_6165.JPG IMG_6166.JPG IMG_6164.JPG

and a video of a mobility demonstration, please ignore my shabby look, these are my "it's hot in the shop" clothes ;)

Yarooon, Bright, msleeper and 3 others like this.
  44. GhostMinion

Dayum! :thumbsup

45. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

46. kenlandrum

kenlandrum Sr Member

Looks great drumguy560... Nice work!

47. Belgen

Belgen New Member

Awesome work, well done!

48. Tumbler

Tumbler Active Member

That is just freaking amazing! I love it!

49. Kevin Gossett

Too. Good.

50. EndGame94

EndGame94 Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Astounding. Keep going.