32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 16

Wow ! I'm really flattered guys, thanks for all the advise and kind words..:$
That streaking technique looks great, just what I needed. Thanks a lot..

I bet ya all thinking..yeah yeah wotever, but now I'm concerned about the splatter at the end, it seems such a random thing to have to do, when all that's gone before is well controlled...:wacko..

Cheers

Phil

Wow ! I'm really flattered guys, thanks for all the advise and kind words..:$
That streaking technique looks great, just what I needed. Thanks a lot..

I bet ya all thinking..yeah yeah wotever, but now I'm concerned about the splatter at the end, it seems such a random thing to have to do, when all that's gone before is well controlled...:wacko..

Cheers

Phil

The splatting is the falcons crown and glory

Phil the spatter looks nothing more than black wash, just a VERY thinned out black to me.

lee

Wow....this is....just....AMAZING...no words. Unbelieveable Phil...truly. This is just so awesome, it makes me wanna go sit in a dark corner, cry, and rethink my life. Haha! EPIC job!!!!!!!!!

This is the latest pic, I think all the panels are kinda done now, I need to add the streaks and splatter, but then should be able to call the topside done..

falcontoplatest.jpg

You might be able to see that I lightened up the front of the mandibles, I think I went a bit too dark and too far back with the weathering there. Looking at pics the fronts of the mandibles don't seem to be as dark as I was thinking they were..

Might start the belly paneling next, I need to practice that streaking technique a bit more before I try it out on the actual model..

This pic makes it look lighter than in real life, it's a bit odd. This paint is strange because it looks a lot darker from some angles, then almost white in others..
Also I went over the red panels with a mix of the red/rust and added a bit of yellow to it too, they look a bit better now I think..

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:

Hi Phil, the paintjob is absolutely wonderful. I read and re-read your build and look at the build photos over and over. You never used any putty in making the hull. The plate spacing is so even - you're amazing.

When learning to paint with gouache in my industrial design classes we used to use these architect's rulers to run the brush along in order to make straight lines with paint. It's very easy to do. The triangular section of it ensures only the handle of your brush touches it further up than the bristles. I recommend it for your streaks.

Guys, thanks very much for the compliments :$:$:)

Scott, thanks for the ruler advise, I just placed an order with amazon (y)thumbsup

Cheers

Phil

Guys, thanks very much for the compliments :$:$:)

Scott, thanks for the ruler advise, I just placed an order with amazon (y)thumbsup

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

A wooden ruler with a metal edge will provide the same results, just keep your four fingers between the ruler and your artwork, then run a "Rigger Brush" along the edge.

Awesome work there, it is just astounding, you have done an immensely fine job on the falcon, and I am in awe of it.

I have been reading back through this thread and have 1 question..

Am I correct to say that your base colour is Floquil grime??

Cheers,

Jase.

Hey Jase, yep the base colour is grime, but it's a very thin paint, so I put it on over a coat of a mix of tamiya white and deck tan..

Hey Scott & Scratchy do you have a pic of this technique please ?

Thanks guys,

Phil

Excellent, thank you very much for your help. That paint sequence is going to be one thing I am going to try very soon.

Again, excelent work ans thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Jase.

This is an awesome model and everyone on this board as far as I can see does excellent work. Just have one question for the 32" falcon people. How many pieces of 24" x 48" .060(1.5mm) styrene are needed to do a complete model. Just looking for a ballpark figure.

Brian

Just got my delivery of Floquil Grime and Floquil Primer....

Thanks again for the info,

Cheers,

Jase.

Wow, that looks awesome.

It's always tickled me the way they painted the exhaust residue radiating from ship center instead of straight aft.

Just remember the Falcon is probably on the ground for maintenance and modifications more than it is flying. To me I see the Falcon as bit of a "Hangar Queen", a term derived from WWII aircraft that ALWAYS had something wrong with it.

I'm curious to know about how people do the weathering on the underside. Do they make the mistake of having the staining eminating FROM the centre or TO the centre? :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back