30 foot long, walking, armored dragon

Bossk

dragon build 064.jpgcincyexpo3.jpghead munching.jpgwardragon.jpg This is my latest giant walking costume/prop using and expanding on what I learned from making the 25 foot long walking Star Wars Dewback lizard some of you have already seen here. Like the dewback this creature has a pvc tubing skeleton, and scales made from army surplus foam sleeping mats. The dragon can actually walk on its own power by means of the hind legs which are actually the knight's real legs mounted on dry wall stits over which the dragon feet have been made. The knight's armored legs are simply foam covered in real steel armor and held in place by the stirrups. The dragon's head can be raised and lowered, and moved from side to side by use of the armored reins, much as one would control a real horse. Through hidden cables in the neck, the dragon's mouth can also open and snap shut. Lound roaring sound effects are now in the works. The wings can be raised an lowered through another control, and the tail can also be thrashed from side to side. The chain mail skirting hides tires which makes it possible for one person to 'walk' this gigantic prop. All of the armor is made of real steel, and based on original German Gothic armor for man and horses from the latter 15th century. All of the dragon's claws are made from real cow horns. The creature was first display at the Cincinatti Comic Expo last year, and I am planning to lead the Dragon Con parade with it in Atlanta this Summer as I have done in the past with some of my smaller dragon props/costumes in the past. Based on the new film Smaug, I am now working to mount the wings on the forearms in a more realistic 'pterosaur' configuration and will also be able to move the front feet in a walking motion.

Last edited:
Dan at Castle Satzvey front.jpgThank's jsher. One of the reasons I put the dragon in 15th century German Gothic armor was to be able to display my second set at events and displays. I am actually a historical reenactor at heart but have fun doing fantasy and sci fi things as well. Here you see my other set of German Gothic armor, this one copied from the excellent set in the Royal Armouries Museum now in Leeds (formerly in the Tower of London). The set seen on the dragon was originally intended to be worn on a war horse, and is also based on a German Gothic armor of the latter 15th century -- this one from the Wallace Collection. and if you are a modeler, it is the armor depicted in the old Aurora "Gold Knight" kit.

Bossk, are there castor wheels on the dragon's fore limbs too or just wheels on the back?
How much does it weigh? It looks like the perfect 'beast' for a parade.

Bossk, are there castor wheels on the dragon's fore limbs too or just wheels on the back?

Yes, there are wheels on the front too, though completely hidden by a 'dragging' band of chain mail. Instead of typical caster wheel, there are four 6 inch pneumatic tires to make it easier to roll, even "off road", but when not on a smooth surface, the 'rider' needs help moving this monster. Also, on a long parade having a person on each side to help pull the dragon with nearly invisible, thin steel cables is a big help so the rider won't get exhausted. The real steel armor alone weighs about 100 lbs, and the complete dragon probably another two hundred. Yes it was designed primarily for the dragon-con parade in AtlantDCparade3.jpga which I started marching in this much smaller, 'draconian', which also incorporates real armor. This got to be a killer too, as the costume with real armor weighs over 100 pounds, and the parade is about 2 miles. As I mentioned, and inspired by the design of the new Smaug, the new design will have the front feet actually walking too, attached to wings that the rider will also move, though wheels will still be necessary to support the beast. They will be invisible though, hidden under loose folds of leathery wing membrane.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, there are wheels on the front too, though completely hidden by a 'dragging' band of chain mail. Instead of typical caster wheel, there are four 6 inch pneumatic tires to make it easier to roll, even "off road", but when not on a smooth surface, the 'rider' needs help moving this monster. Also, on a long parade having a person on each side to help pull the dragon with nearly invisible, thin steel cables is a big help so the rider won't get exhausted. The real steel armor alone weighs about 100 lbs, and the complete dragon probably another two hundred. Yes it was designed primarily for the dragon-con parade in AtlantDCparade3.jpga which I started marching in this much smaller, 'draconian', which also incorporates real armor. This got to be a killer too, as the costume with real armor weighs over 100 pounds, and the parade is about 2 miles. As I mentioned, and inspired by the design of the new Smaug, the new design will have the front feet actually walking too, attached to wings that the rider will also move, though wheels will still be necessary to support the beast. They will be invisible though, hidden under loose folds of leathery wing membrane.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back