3 foot tall lego minifig ... Making Frank an Operation Game, and adding animatronics

Re: 3 foot tall lego minifig

Loving this so much! I’d love love love to have a 80s lego spaceman like this.

This is going to be awesome. I have really enjoyed following this project.

Thanks guys, I have really enjoyed the build so far, and sharing my progress. My friends are trying to convince me to try and make a few more to sell them. I'm mulling it over, and if I can find an easier way to make the hips and legs, I might do a limited run.

My silicon and smoothcast should be getting delivered on Wednesday, but I won't really be able to work with until the weekend. I am really excited to try casting.

Just a small update today. I routed the edges of the torso and started priming them. I still need to fill in the nail holes and edges, but they are looking pretty good.
DSC04184.JPG

DSC04189.JPG

Started making the shoulder joint to attach the arm to the torso. Started with some PVC and filled it with fiberglass resin (tip: sand the inside of the pvd so that the resin sticks) However, these two pieces warped out of round, so I tossed them and made some new ones (not pictured) that are longer, and I will cut them to size when they are fully cured.
DSC04185.JPG

DSC04186.JPG

DSC04188.JPG

These are turning out great, can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks, and me too. I hope I can get them done in time for Halloween.

Fantastic!
Thanks.

Whew, long day.

First I got the shoulder joint mounted to the arm:
DSC04191.JPG

Then I assembled the Megafig just so I could see what he looked like with arms .... Awesome:
DSC04192.JPG
DSC04193.JPG

Then I started working on a box mold for the arms, but quickly realized that it would use up ALL of the silicon that I had, so i decided to go a different route. I'm not sure the name for this molding process, but basically I clayed up what i want to be silicon, and then made a jacket out of plaster (the mesh type they use in casts). I wish i would had planned for this type of mold from the beginning so then I could have used some proper jacket material instead of the plaster. Tomorrow (pending on if i can get the mold halves apart without destroying them), I will clean out one side and get some silicon poured.
DSC04199.JPG

DSC04202.JPG

DSC04211.JPG

SUCCESS!!!!

I figured I would do a mid-day update since the molds are curing.

Woke up this morning and successfully separated my plaster mold jackets without destroying them. I forgot to take a picture before i started removing the clay from the master, oops.:
DSC04214.JPG

Smoothed out the clay seam and added some registration divots to line up the molds:
DSC04218.JPG

Replaced the jacket, clamped the 2 halves together and finally ready for molding:
DSC04232.JPG

Sculpted the box mold for the hand:
DSC04220.JPG

DSC04225.JPG

DSC04227.JPG

While I was working on the molds, my lovely assistant filled and sanded:
iMr3Wv5NZIyns1RJe3IeFxEYHrQO18HMnYhDrLH3288=w395-h700-no

Finely ready to pour that pink goo. This was my first time using silicon and was surprised at how thick it is. I always thought it would be thinner. So far, I have really enjoyed this process, I just hope the molds turn out decent. I don't expect perfect molds, sine this is my first time, but decent molds would make my day.
DSC04236.JPG

DSC04237.JPG

Now, its back to work.

SUCCESS !!!!! My molds came out great. Better than i expected. I'll let them cure for another 5 hours, and then pour the second half.

DSC04249.JPG

DSC04250.JPG

DSC04251.JPG

DSC04252.JPG

In the future, don't demold the silicone until both halves are poured. When you place that first side back on the master, it won't fit 100%, and there's a chance that rubber from the second half will seep around the edges and bond to the first half. I'd spray release all over the inside of that first half before you put it back on the master to minimize the chance of boning the sides together.

In the future, don't demold the silicone until both halves are poured. When you place that first side back on the master, it won't fit 100%, and there's a chance that rubber from the second half will seep around the edges and bond to the first half. I'd spray release all over the inside of that first half before you put it back on the master to minimize the chance of boning the sides together.

Yeah, i was not attempting to release the part, but apparently the clay was stickier than the silicon, so it just kinda happened. And i will definetly coat the entire mold with release. Thanks.

While waiting for paint to dry, I started working on the monster's hat.

Figuring out the bottom of the hat:
DSC04246.JPG

Transfer that to paper and the transferring that to styrene:
DSC04248.JPG

Cut and Bend styrene for the basic shape:
DSC04253.JPG

A little structure to hold it all together:
DSC04254.JPG

Capping the Top.
DSC04255.JPG

And finally, sculpting the details:
DSC04256.JPG
DSC04261.JPG

This is so cool my kids are going nuts over this! Thanks much foe sharing!

Thanks, I'm glad your kids are enjoying this :)

Thanks

This is awesome! can't wait to see the finished product
mike

Thanks, hopefully I have them done by Tuesday night, since I have glass blowing classes on Wednesday nights. If I don't have them finished by Tuesday night, I might have to take off Thursday from work to knock them out.

Just poured the second halves of the molds, and it took every ounce of silicon I had, I was literately scraping the bucket. With any luck, I should be able to cast the hands and arms tomorrow afternoon. I have decided to forgo the hair on the Mad Scientist, there just isn't enough time :( I'll make sure to create the hair piece after.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back