2001 Space Station docking bay WIP

Some more details/panels/greeblies affixed to the face.

1618168320265.png

1618168351949.png

Wow! A big step: all the imperfections disappeared and the sheer beauty shines.
Thanks Markus; I'll have to redo the recessed "Radar Dishes" located at the right hand side (don't like the look, compared to the original).
They are into some kind of a funnel shape with ridges. Don't know how those guys did it, but I'll try to replicate them more accurately ;)

Looks like you've made an incredible amount of progress in a short time. Hopefully you're not going blind from all that small detail work.

Nice job buddy!
If my math is correct, it should be about 15" wide?
The prop under construction is in the 'Andrew Birkin" chapter of my book "2001: The lost science" volume 1
I should have you make one for me! I'm tooooo busy these days.

-Adam

joberg,
Fantastic job so far. The detail is great and I know you fretted a lot at the start trying to decipher the photo reference.
But you’re a seasoned hand at this and it was always going to turn out well.
i always thought it needed a little lighting, you know some fibre optic detailing to sell the scale. I know it’s ”not canon”, but what are your thoughts?

BTW. The pod in the back is a beauty.

Thanks guys, it's appreciated. As for the Airfix Orion (I have an original from the era) it's way too big for the docking bay. There's a pic with the Orion and the Aries-1B docked, together, inside the bay...I scale should be way smaller:(

View attachment 1456338

Fantastic work! I am pretty sure that there´s an Orion 3D model out there, waiting to be printed and place inside the Docking bay ;)

Nice job buddy!
If my math is correct, it should be about 15" wide?
The prop under construction is in the 'Andrew Birkin" chapter of my book "2001: The lost science" volume 1
I should have you make one for me! I'm tooooo busy these days.

-Adam
Thanks Adam and yes, I have your 2 books which were a great source of info and pics. 15" for sure. Maybe I should offer the face (with the side) only? Put it in silicone and mold it. The only downside would be the absence of the docking bay itself...
Btw, are you still building the Discovery?

joberg,
Fantastic job so far. The detail is great and I know you fretted a lot at the start trying to decipher the photo reference.
But you’re a seasoned hand at this and it was always going to turn out well.
i always thought it needed a little lighting, you know some fibre optic detailing to sell the scale. I know it’s ”not canon”, but what are your thoughts?

BTW. The pod in the back is a beauty.
Thanks mate! Yes, the bay itself will have to be as close as possible (according to the pics I have) Some artistic liberties will have to be taken for the areas that are not as sharp or out of focus.

Yeah. i'd like a mold/casting of your model Joberg. I can do the docking bay and other small details pretty easy. PM me and we can talk details.!
I'm not sure which Discovery your talking about, but the Moebius one is finished. The Kaiyodo was rebuilt in the 'command sphere' area. i added a rudimentary interior through the front window. also the joints were redone - still airbrushing the outside and doing subtle artificial shadows. The expectation is that it will be 'Museum Quality' when finished. Maybe i'll post it when done. It's almost 6 feet long, so i work very slowly on it.

Yeah. i'd like a mold/casting of your model Joberg. I can do the docking bay and other small details pretty easy. PM me and we can talk details.!
I'm not sure which Discovery your talking about, but the Moebius one is finished. The Kaiyodo was rebuilt in the 'command sphere' area. i added a rudimentary interior through the front window. also the joints were redone - still airbrushing the outside and doing subtle artificial shadows. The expectation is that it will be 'Museum Quality' when finished. Maybe i'll post it when done. It's almost 6 feet long, so i work very slowly on it.
I thought you were building the Studio Scale Discovery main module in 1/6 scale...maybe I didn't understand. As for the casting, I'll have to study the feasibility of that one. Many pieces/greeblies may have to be molded separately and re-glued to the casting. Not as simple as to just pour silicone and voilà:(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back