2001: A Space Odyssey - "Discovery" cutlery

Right, so here's a few points that were raised by macropod80 in the last few replies.
The cup: here's 2 pics of my found cup; I've cut the bottom by 1 inch and, as you can see, the tapper is not as pronounced compared to the original/untouched one.
To make that tapper "look" straighter, you just have to place the cup into its cup holder (depth 3/4 inch). So that's why (my two cents) it seems that the cup has no tapper in the movie pics. Don't forget that the camera/pictures are always deformed and you cannot count on those to make clear measurements.
Now for the tray itself: clear measurements should be logical (see drawing).
The squares for the cup holders: 4"X 4"
Hole for the cup: 3"
Length and width of the cutlery trench: 8"X 4" Make sense, since the fork is almost 8" and you have to count for the slopes of both ends.
I think that a knife was also an option, but I think that since the food was oatmeal, that idea was ditched, hence the roomy width of the trench.
So the length of the trench is the width of 2 trays side-by-side.
Length and width of the small trays: 6"X 4" (length without the handles). You clearly see that the fork is not going to fit inside the small trays. It's simply to make sure that your utensil doesn't fall into your food, hence those measurements...
Now, I didn't calculate for the thickness of the material being used. Those measurements are a base to build the tray; those measurements are going to be different in a finished prop. Hope it helps; eager to hear from you guys;)

Attachments

• CIMG2808.JPG
    CIMG2808.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 85
  • CIMG2811.JPG
    CIMG2811.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 80
  • CIMG2815.JPG
    CIMG2815.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 82
  • CIMG2816.JPG
    CIMG2816.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 75
  • CIMG2817.JPG
    CIMG2817.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 82
Great thread! ...you people are doing some exauhastive research and development!
I just picked up a set of this flatware and my thought was what would the flatwear have been transported in ...
My project is to come up with some type of box to store the set in that would look 2001 .
I'm torn between an aluminum case/ white lacquered box or one of those pelican style cases
Any opinions ?

Difficult to say since I don't know how many pieces you have in that set; regular knife and fork + soup spoon, desert spoon or something else:unsure:
As a "box" I don't know what kind of design would "fit" into the whole Discovery design. A white plastic box with a sliding lid and some kind of text in a blue color band (same as the Panam food tray)? Plastic box should be at least 8 inches long and 1.5 inches deep. I'm sure others will chime in.;)

Difficult to say since I don't know how many pieces you have in that set; regular knife and fork + soup spoon, desert spoon or something else:unsure:
As a "box" I don't know what kind of design would "fit" into the whole Discovery design. A white plastic box with a sliding lid and some kind of text in a blue color band (same as the Panam food tray)? Plastic box should be at least 8 inches long and 1.5 inches deep. I'm sure others will chime in.;)
Thanks for the ideas ... the white box , and the Panam blue is a great thought !

...or the same type of box but with a capital D (for Discovery) on a blue band set on a slant near a corner of said box? Your imagination is the limit;)

Hi. I've been following this great thread for a while. Not seen this mentioned before but I'm fairly sure I've found the make of cup actually used - from a British company called Insulex who made these in the 60's - proportions look right together with the 'metallic' blue colour and the shape of the white lip.

Attachments

• cup1.jpg
    cup1.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 34
  • cup2.jpg
    cup2.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 29
  • cup3.jpg
    cup3.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 29
  • cup4.jpg
    cup4.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 31
  • cup5.jpg
    cup5.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 35
Hi. I've been following this great thread for a while. Not seen this mentioned before but I'm fairly sure I've found the make of cup actually used - from a British company called Insulex who made these in the 60's - proportions look right together with the 'metallic' blue colour and the shape of the white lip.
You've hit the jackpot with that one for sure(y)(y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back