2001: A Space Bone

Damn that is looking awesome sir! How much of the silicone was needed to cast it?

*cough* If you ever have a bad resin casting... *cough*

My mold box took almost a gallon of silicon. I probably could have made it smaller but there’s a lot of negative space around the bone. Also I suck at estimating.

Before and after paint. A little more touchup to do but I'm feeling it.

IMG_3022.jpeg

That looks really awesome man! What a great project, and a fantastic turnover time from start to finish! Been great to follow it from start to finish.

What's the monolith made from?

I built the monolith in Fusion 360 and printed it out with a hollow back (like an open face box. Then glued a 3/4" chuck of MDF in the back so the whole thing has some weight. I'll be drilling a couple pegs for the front that the bone will hang from.

Also, I made a video with a bone birthing scene at the end.

Okay folks. Wrapping this up. The finished bone is mounted to the monolith. Actually it rests on two posts coming off the monolith. I have a clear acrylic stand to balance it, but I can also mount this flat to a wall

Love it man! Absolutely fantastic!

That's awesome Valor! Just about to watch the video now!

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Life went a bit crazy. Excited to watch the video!

Edit: That prop came out absolutely amazing man! Wow. Great to see Adam's love for it in the video!

Last edited:
Also confirming it's a horse. The skull present in the bone smashing scene is ... A horse skull. I suspect the actor was placed in front of a bunch of bones from a single skeleton.
View attachment 1298112
The Actors's Name is Dan Richter. He was instrumental in the mask design and choreography of the Dawn of Man sequences. Deserves a lot of credit for making that sequence of the film so effective.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back