2001: A Space Bone

The radius bone with the ulna still attached, while learning about smashing. . . . damn! We've gone full forensic archaeology xD This is why I love this site.

Casting the horse bone, then sculpting that cast might be the best way to go about it!

The camera shot of the Tapir skeleton for example is closer to the camera, with Moonwatcher in the background with the horse bone, to keep things in scale. Definitely the horse bone.

The part where I wonder if I know what I’m doing.
image.jpg

Alright, an hour in and I feel like I'm making progress. The basic proportions are getting there and I dove in one one of the tw ends, which are the most complicated. In addition to screen grabs I found a rendered 3D model that I can turn around, zoom in on, etc. This is helping fill in the blanks on details the screen grabs don't show.

IMG_2976.jpeg
IMG_2975.jpeg
IMG_2972.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.48.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.48.29 PM.png

a couple more hours and I feel pretty satisfied with the overall shape and form. The screen grabs don't show everything so the 3D mode of a real bone is filling in the gaps a bit. But, there are times I'm trying more to match the shapes I'm seeing in the screen-used bone. The way the light kicks in certain spots or has shadows that don't necessarily lineup with the medical 3D file.

Some of the dark/light you're seeing in the sculpt is discoloration in the clay. It's not that bumpy. Right now everything is pretty smooth. A little more aligning of some details and I'll do a pass to add the "rough" spots and texture.

IMG_2985.jpeg
IMG_2990.jpeg
IMG_2986.jpeg
IMG_2989.jpeg
IMG_2987.jpeg

Nice!

Not sure how crazy you might want to get, but you could do a quick waste mold of your sculpt to cast up a hard copy, which you could then refine even further, and then make the final mold from that.

From the book, Space Odyssey: Staney Kubrick, Arthur C. Clark, and the Making of a Masterpiece:

"...Knowing Kubrick's penchant for multiple takes, the prop people had acquired a seemingly endless quantity of horse bones and horse skulls from the local knacker's yard."

Getting some bone texture and details into the right spots.
8O5XE+dZT%eohUzIxZ6Y+g.jpg
i0bXGOGvTra471X4wPJXpw.jpg

Sweating details. Molding soon. Also. I have a plan for a monolith stand for this to sit on. Upright monolith and the bone sort of floats in front.

Attachments

• F3FBDD27-859F-4E24-B33A-8AA73379E354.jpeg
    F3FBDD27-859F-4E24-B33A-8AA73379E354.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 117
  • 926EF97D-8C52-49D6-A57D-DAD92BE6A673.jpeg
    926EF97D-8C52-49D6-A57D-DAD92BE6A673.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
My finished bone sculpt went into some silicon this week. After cutting the mold open to free my clay model, I was surprised how little damage there was. Didn't really matter, as I planned on scrapping the clay sculpt. I poured a rotocast cast in the mold and the first cast turned out great. I might do another one to see if I can hide some of the seam lines a bit more.

Also, I made progress on my monolith display stand. I built the monolith in Fusion 360 and printed it out with a hollow back (like an open face box. Then glued a 3/4" chuck of MDF in the back so the whole thing has some weight. I'll be drilling a couple pegs for the front that the bone will hang from.

Now I'm on to painting. I want to try to match the coloration, weathering and scratches of my screen grabs.

Y11IyMWHQla6bwEbR6EWcA.jpg
N+WnHzNjTVmCQbwtnYlcGw.jpg
2SnPzwqETm+UquNgQDwAKg.jpg
Ujk4gbs5TpaY+HZ8t1LBAQ.jpg
QW0OEjGZT3eW%iXL1pPB3w.jpg
y0YaBe+8T7iimf7ut20dvQ.jpg
24hT%aMCQo+qYW25abjJCg.jpg
37suYuHpROKcsxaV00SriQ.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back