1978 BSG question...

gunnerk19

Master Member
I'm putting together a replica of the web belt worn with the snowsuit in the "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" episodes, my problem is I can't really tell what color the 30 round M16 magazine pouch was?
aZYDg5F.jpg

WRPnZmm.jpg

I've got a comparable web belt on the way as well as a Sam Browne belt buckle. I ordered an OD green magazine pouch from Amazon based on this listing photo, showing a blank front pouch.
EY3ETDO.png

The pouch arrived today, and it has the huge black US on it.
0Qn9DqN.jpg

Now I'm not entirely sure if the screen used pouch may have been black, or at least dyed? I didn't think black ammo pouches were a thing in 1978. If I can't find a pouch without the marking, does anyone have suggestions on how to remove the US on this one without completely fracking up the pouch? It's almost like a rubber paint type thing.

TIA

I'm putting together a replica of the web belt worn with the snowsuit in the "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" episodes, my problem is I can't really tell what color the 30 round M16 magazine pouch was?
View attachment 1615200
View attachment 1615201

I've got a comparable web belt on the way as well as a Sam Browne belt buckle. I ordered an OD green magazine pouch from Amazon based on this listing photo, showing a blank front pouch.
View attachment 1615202

The pouch arrived today, and it has the huge black US on it.
View attachment 1615203

Now I'm not entirely sure if the screen used pouch may have been black, or at least dyed? I didn't think black ammo pouches were a thing in 1978. If I can't find a pouch without the marking, does anyone have suggestions on how to remove the US on this one without completely fracking up the pouch? It's almost like a rubber paint type thing.

TIA
Well that pouch is indeed current military issue. You need the "older" style which had a stamped US on the material. I believe it was simply dyed or sprayed black. However it looks like that label might pull off in pieces as it does seem to be floating on top of that material ? Fun fact the side flaps held in grenades one per side but they just pushed them in and velcroed the gold markers in pairs in top of each of the side flaps.

If the original was black I can just exchange this one, I'd prefer to not have to deal with modifying it.

I'm not going for 100% accurate, I plan on removing the side grenade pouches and fixing the recharge cylinders with Velcro.

There was a version of this pouch made without the grenade holder pockets on the side ,but it was made early on when the first 30 round pouches came out and is quite rare now. It was part of the M67 nylon gear introduced for our boys in Vietnam. By the time it was ready for issue, our involvement was at an end so it was issued for a short time after the war.

That was the version I was originally looking for, they had simple sewn tabs for the grenade spoons to go into with small retaining straps.

rererere.png

They're rarely found, and if they can be (in decent condition) they're going to be pricey. The one above was part of an auction lot dated 1969.

This photo also explains what that hooked strap is hanging below Starbuck's pouch in the pic with Elke.

Last edited:
Well, got a good screenshot showing the pouch to be OD green...

goip0.png

So, I guess I'll have to try and find a pouch with minimal marking or no marking after all. I'm not sure I'd like the look of just painting green over the lettering.

Edit: Found one in good shape on Mercari for cheap.

download.png

Think I'm going to add the strap with the hook just to lend a bit more accuracy to it.

Last edited:
That was the version I was originally looking for, they had simple sewn tabs for the grenade spoons to go into with small retaining straps.

View attachment 1615411

They're rarely found, and if they can be (in decent condition) they're going to be pricey. The one above was part of an auction lot dated 1969.

This photo also explains what that hooked strap is hanging below Starbuck's pouch in the pic with Elke.
Yes that is the stamped variant (earlier) I was referring too from the 70s

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back