1966 TV Batmobile

trekriffic

Sr Member
"DADA DADA DADA DADA DAT! BATMAN!!!"

I bought the reissued 1/32 scale 1966 TV Batmobile a while back after Polar Lights reissued it. I had the original Aurora kit as a kid.
Since then Polar Lights has come out with a larger 1/25 scale version in both a snap together and glue version. I've been tempted to get it too but right now I'm husbanding my modeling funds to buy the aftermarket parts coming out for the 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise kit which is on its way to me now.

Anyway, I started this build on the Monday after Thanksgiving as a simple build straight OOTB... yeah... right...

The box is made from sturdy heavyweight carboard and looks much like the box I remember from my childhood.
One nice thing PL has been doing with their reissued kits is to glue a peel away sheet on the underside of the box with additional artwork and a one word blurb describing some defining characteristic of the vehicle along with a paragraph or two about its capabilites and mission.
Here's what was on the underside of the Batmobile box:
IMG_3044.jpg

The back of the instruction sheet also has a two page background story about Batman and Robim and their spectacular nuclear turbine powered Batmobile:
IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

The first thing I did was attach the grill to the front of the body.
I must be more discerning now in my middle years because I don't recall this piece being so ill-fitting when I was a boy.
I must've spent a good hour puttying and filling gaps with AVES and Tamiya polyester putty before sanding and brushing on a coat of Mr Surfacer the next morning:
IMG_3046.jpg

Several parts on the chrome parts tree had to be soaked overnight in Super Clean to remove the plating.
The seats for one are meant to be black leather along with the attached center console.
Same for the steering wheel although I will need to paint the center of it silver.
The dashboard, rollbar beacon, and turbine nozzle are silver (but not bright chrome) with red and black accents components.
The plastic is black under the chrome so I will go back in with aluminum and red enamels after spraying them flat black after a shot of Taniya grey lacquer primer.

Here's the car body after priming:
IMG_3053.jpg

You may (or may not) notice I cut off the blade from the front of the grill. Most of the photos on the internet show the car without the blade and that's how I remember it so... it just looks better to me without it.

Moving along...

Did I say I was going to build this one straight from the box?
Sorry. Couldn't do that with the rocket lauch tubes.
The kit part tubes are a one piece solid chromed plastic affair which just doesn't look right so I cut three sections of hollow aluminum tubing which I'll need to glue into the three holes behind the cockpit individually once the body is painted:
IMG_3056.jpg

The Batman and Robin figures had to be assembled; Batman needed his arms glued on and Robin came with an upper and lower torso that needed to be glued together and puttied. Both figures had to be files and sanded along their sides to remove parting lines from the molding.

Here they are after priming:
IMG_3061.jpg

Batman was the first figure I finished painting; Robin is still a WIP as he has more colors to his costume:
IMG_3062.jpg

I printed a picture of Burt Ward and Adam West in their costumes off Gooogle images and am using that as a guide:
batman-1966-482x298.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

Closeup of the Batman figure:
IMG_3064.jpg

The figure is small but I was able to "dot the eyes" and give his cowl the characteristic grey "eyebrows" as seen on West's Batman.
To do the eyes I painted the whites first, trimmed a toothpick to a fine point, and dipped it in black paint before using a light touch to "dot" the pupils. Then I painted the cowling, cape, gloves, and boots with a mix of dark blue and purple enamels being careful when painting around the eye openings and eyebrows.

That's it for now.

Tune in tomorrow ... same Bat Time... same Bat Channel...

Nice work! The Batmobile is iconic! Would be cool to see a batcave diorama too.

I wish the show would come out on DVD. Another show in DVD legal limbo I read recently.

:rolleyes
Jon

Cooool! I always wanted that model when I was a kid. I had the Corgi Batmobile instead :)

Excellent work!

Poor Robin. Before you painted him, he looked like a chimp. Oh, cruel Powerball. I would have bought a real 66 Batmobile had I won, or bought a ticket to win for that matter.

Today's update...

Finished painting Robin:

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

The Dynamic Duo:
IMG_3079.jpg

I painted the rest of the parts too. Once they are cut from the trees they'll need a little touchup:
IMG_3080.jpg

The rocket launcher tubes were glued in with CA.
IMG_3094.jpg

I also glued inthe dashboard with steering wheel and the parachute packs:
IMG_3093.jpg

More to come!

Today's pics from the past few days...

Tires were sanded where the seam halves joined then brushpainted with Testors flat black:
IMG_3104.jpg

The dashboard and sterring wheel were glued in:
IMG_3099.jpg

The seats were glued in:
IMG_3101.jpg

The lower chassis and body were glued together with Batman behind the wheel:
IMG_3103.jpg

The clear canopies were masked and the tape edges sealed with Future to minimize paint bleed:
IMG_3106.jpg

The canopy frames were brushpainted with Testors aluminum enamel after a prior coat of Mr Surfacer:
IMG_3108.jpg

The Batbeacon and rollbar were glued in place:
IMG_3109.jpg

The backend with Bat chutes, Bat turbo, and Bat license plate painted:
IMG_3111.jpg

Tune in later to see more exciting Batmobile developments!
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!

P.S. Assuming these guys don't get in the way that is...

Batman_villains_The_Penguin_The_Riddler_The_Joker_1967.jpg

Last edited:
I gave her a nice coat of Future last night followed by a good shot or two of Glosscote clear lacquer at lunchtime today.
Man is the body SHINY now! And the old soft flat black enamel finish is gone replaced by a hard shell of acrylic and lacquer. The only areas left dull were the cockpit and seats. I want the seats to look a little like worn leather rather than shiny vinyl. Also the treads of the tires will remain dull. The tire sidewalls will be unpainted.
Next step is applying the decals for all the pinstriping. Then she'll get another shot of Glosscote to seal followed by a final coat of satin semi-gloss.

Looking good! How did you apply the Future coat to the body?

The Future was applied with a soft-bristled brush in even strokes. I ended up applying 2 coats, letting dry overnight, followed by 2 coats of Testors gloss lacquer. I'll do the stripe decals today before letting those dry overnight. I'll also apply the bat decals to the rims. Tomorrow I'll gloss coat again followed by a satin coat on the body. The rims will be gloss coated to seal the decals before gluing to the tire hubs. Last thing will be gluing the clear canopies to the cockpit. I should be done by Sunday and then I'll take some finished pics.

Should we mention for folks that Future is now Pledge with Future Shine in case they go looking for it? I know it caused a panic before folks figured out it was the same stuff.

Those decals are going to require some patience that's for sure. it looks more like a pinstripe job on a full sized car as opposed to just decals.

Those decals are going to require some patience that's for sure. it looks more like a pinstripe job on a full sized car as opposed to just decals.

The decals have been a nightmare. They break up very easily even after coating with liquid decal film and do not adhere well even to a gloss finish. Also, on the tail fins they only give you decals for one side of the fin and photos clearly show the red striping covers the edge on both sides of the surface.
I am ending up painting most of the stripes hand with a fine brush using masking tape for the long strraight sections when possible. Luckily I have a very steady hand for the curvy bits.

Today was pinstriping day with Testors Italian Red and a 5/0 brush. For the long straight stripes on the top of the fins and the midline on the sides I used Tamiya tape. All the curves and scallops were painted freehand:

IMG_3120.jpg

Stripes finished :
IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

Still need to glue the rims to the tires and the canopies to the cockpit.
Here are the canopies with frames painted Testors Aluminum ready for attachment:
IMG_3113.jpg

No photos but the bat emblems decals on the doors and rims have been applied and are drying. Tomorrow I'll give it a gloss coat to seal the decals. Then I'll shoot Batman and Robin with flat. I'm thinking of a semi-gloss for the final body finish.

Made a teeny, tiny Batphone yesterday...

The real Batphone:
ckbatphone.jpg

I found cutting the end off a piece of the leftover chrome sprue made a pretty good base for the phone:
IMG_3128.jpg

I cut the handset from a piece of thin styrene sheet using scissors and an exacto knife:
IMG_3129.jpg

Then I cut the handset in half and glued it to the top of the base:
IMG_3131.jpg

Once the glue had set I took a toothpick and made the ear and mouthpieces out of dropletes of CA. Then I filed and sanded to shape. I painted it Italian Red:
IMG_3132.jpg

The Batphone installed in the cockpit, glued to the center console with CA:
IMG_3134.jpg

The Batmobile was given a coat of Testors Semi-Gloss over a coat of Dullcote giving it a nice sheen. The Dynamic Duo, the seats, the Batchute packs on the rear, and the tires, are all left flat matte.

I'd have gone blind making that phone lol. This is a great looking kit. I'm glad companies are reissuing these things now and then.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back