1:72 FM Falcon - modified to match the 32" studio model

Marko@Rockvoice

... the Falcon... THE Falcon!
I always loved the 32" studio model, but felt that the Fine Molds kit was missing something. So I tried to find out... way too much wrong... FAR FAR away from the 32" model... anyways...
After a lot of research and hours of cutting and sawing and re-attaching...
I was able to bring the Fine Molds kit a lot closer to the 32" studio model - besides the size...

Still, it is not 100% since a lot of parts are scaled incorrectly,... however...

72-falcon-53.jpg

72-falcon-54.jpg

72-falcon-55.jpg

72-falcon-56.jpg

72-falcon-57.jpg

72-falcon-58.jpg

72-falcon-59.jpg

72-falcon-60.jpg

here some detail shots, note the markings all over the place and the hidden names
72-falcon-61.jpg

72-falcon-62.jpg

72-falcon-63.jpg

72-falcon-64.jpg

72-falcon-65.jpg

Some chipping + the little 2 commas all over the hull
72-falcon-51.jpg

72-falcon-52.jpg

Just to give you an idea of what I did to the kit - here a comparison photo with the kit OOTB
72-falcon-35.jpg

72-falcon-36.jpg

72-falcon-34.jpg

72-falcon-37.jpg

Thanks for watching![/quote]

Marko, can you outline some of the changes you've made? I see the jawbox has been narrowed and the mandibles toed-in, but it also looks like you moved the cockpit access tube and lowered the 3-sided docking port sections, right? I'm just finishing my Fine Molds and made some similar modifications, but your paint job is blowing mine away. So I hate you. :D

Great job on the improving the accuracy! You can really tell the difference when compared to the 'starting point'... I just hope I can do 1/4 the job on the Hasbro that you've done with this one...

Regards,
Robert

Marko, can you outline some of the changes you've made? I see the jawbox has been narrowed and the mandibles toed-in, but it also looks like you moved the cockpit access tube and lowered the 3-sided docking port sections, right? I'm just finishing my Fine Molds and made some similar modifications, but your paint job is blowing mine away. So I hate you. :D

Yes, exactly - good eyes!
The jawbox has been shortened, narrowed and flattened. If I were more consequent, I would have scratched a new one. This one is still not 100% but all the upper details would have looked ridiculous, since they are all scaled too big.
The whole dish shape was altered to get a different curvature.
To increase the height in the middle, I installed some spacers
72-falcon-14.jpg
72-falcon-18.jpg
... and I narrowed the edges by 1,5 mm

The escape pod rings were expanded to increase the diameter
72-falcon-28.jpg
And yes - position and angle of the cockpit tube had to be altered; it did not line up with the rest. As you can see, it is slightly off
72-falcon-12.jpg

Where can we see your progress on the FM Falcon?

Great job Marko ! Modifications are great as well as your paint job ! :)
Thank you Julien!
Can't wait for your 32" falcon!

Awesome mods!
Thanks! Maybe you are familiar with the radar dish I used... :)

Great job on the improving the accuracy! You can really tell the difference when compared to the 'starting point'... I just hope I can do 1/4 the job on the Hasbro that you've done with this one...
Gladly, the Hasbro Falcon is quite correct, compared to the Fine Molds counterpart. It needs some detailling and a good paintjob and thats pretty much it with the Hasbro "toy".

uh oh... no pics! :(
Still no pics? Tried to refresh your browser?

Where can we see your progress on the FM Falcon?

I'll post some pictures later tonight. On my version I tried to make a hybrid of the 32", the 5-footer and the new CG Force Awakens version. It has a detailing touches from all three. My biggest change was to increase the hull curvature using internal braces to be similar to the "fat Falcon" look of the 5-footer. I think that helps make it look like "The Falcon."

I'll post some pictures later tonight. On my version I tried to make a hybrid of the 32", the 5-footer and the new CG Force Awakens version. It has a detailing touches from all three. My biggest change was to increase the hull curvature using internal braces to be similar to the "fat Falcon" look of the 5-footer. I think that helps make it look like "The Falcon."
.......Ahhhhhh,.....stop teasing!!.....can't wait to see some photos!!!:D

J

A few more. Here you can see more of the hull curve and some of the hybrid details. I also shorted the cockpit tube and the cockpit cone. The bow headlight pieces are modified from the MPC Falcon to match the 5-footer. HunkajunkFM4.jpgHunkajunkFM5.jpgHunkajunkFM6.jpgHunkajunkFM7.jpg

And more. The model is lit with TESB headlights, cockpit lights and blue/teal engine lights to mimic the look from the Force Awakens trailer (though it's hard to see in the photos). Obviously, I'm still working on the dish. Thinking about scratching the new rectangular one. HunkajunkFM7.jpgHunkajunkFM8.jpgHunkajunkFM9.jpgHunkajunkFM10.jpg

Okay, here's mine. It's a work in progress. Still adding details and painting. My main goal was the hull curvature. I like me a FAT Falcon. View attachment 434929View attachment 434930View attachment 434931

HaJ,.....That is exciting to look at,.....it IS a hybrid and has moved away from the shape of the 32".........but that is a good thing,......it has the shape and curves of THE Falcon

I love it,....did you photo any WIP,.......do you not have a thread for your build?

J

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back