1/72 Bandai B-wing. Finally got to tackle one of my favourite ships.

Hedonist Farmer

Just finished what is arguably on of my favourite spaceships ever on the star wars universe. The kit is from Bandai and it's been in my stash for a while now, but i really wanted to light this model, at least partially, and having no experience with LEDs whatsoever i was too afraid to screw it up. Now thanks to some youtube videos and some trial and error i was able to work on this beautiful kit and present to you the final result.
Here are the glamour shots:
1661248083637.jpg

1661248083656.jpg

1661248083839.jpg

1661248083704.jpg

1661248083817.jpg

Here some more in depht pictures of the process of painting. I used all Tamiya acrylics with an airbrush, trying to match as close as possible the reference pictures of the original model i had. No exact mix ratios, i just eyeballed the thing until i was satisfied, i wasn't going fot the 100% screen accurate look anyway.
The main colors are XF-82 Ocean Grey - XF-50 Field Blue - XF- 23 Light Blue and a mix of XF-19 Sky Grey and flat white for the base.

1661248083927.jpg

1661248083944.jpg

1661248083970.jpg

For the engines i decided due to my limitations in space and skills, to use the lighting module that is already meant to be used on this kit. It's a teeny tiny button battery led unit Bandai sells for their Gundams models and such. It's not super powerful, but it snaps right on the kit and using a clear plastic diffuser, lights ups all 4 engines. To help light diffusion i painted the inner "bells" of the engines with Molotow liquid crome, wich is consistent with the look i've seen on the screen used models, and also really helps to spread the light. Might not be the brightest to the naked eye, but still looks amazing on camera.

1661248084035.jpg

1661248083996.jpg

1661248084016.jpg

As for the cockpit all the lighting is done with a singular white led glued inside the main body that lights a bundle of fiber optics. I kept things simple since this was my first attempt at lighting a kit.

1661248083906.jpg

Then for the fun part, i applied decals and proceeded to weathering. I'm a big proponent of oil paints when it comes to weathering, you can do pretty much everything with them and have an incredible amount of control, but i know from experience that the plastic Bandai uses for their kits can react pretty badly with oil solvents, even when sealed properly, causing to become brittle and potentially break away, so i didn't want to risk it and went the old fashioned way using only my airbrush, sponge chipping and acrylic washes. I particularly loved using the bright orange wash you can see in many star wars models, that really gives that old ILM model shop look to spaceships.

1661248083795.jpg

1661248083680.jpg

1661248083864.jpg

1661248083771.jpg

1661248083884.jpg

1661248083727.jpg

1661248083750.jpg

And that's pretty much it. I had a lot of fun and as always Bandai kits never ceaze to amaze for the level of detail and accuracy. For any questions feel free to ask, thanks!

Excellent work! very ILMish

I'm a big proponent of oil paints when it comes to weathering, you can do pretty much everything with them and have an incredible amount of control, but i know from experience that the plastic Bandai uses for their kits can react pretty badly with oil solvents, even when sealed properly, causing to become brittle and potentially break away, so i didn't want to risk it and went the old fashioned way using only my airbrush, sponge chipping and acrylic washes.

You can use "Artisan" Oil paints ( aka Water MIxable OIls). They thin/clean with water instead of solvents but otherwise they work just like regular oil paints

I use these myself

Occasionally I will give a bit of a surface rub with a rag using Weber Odorless Turpenoid if I need a little extra muscle in cleaning off f I stained too much, but almost always stick with water

Really fantastic build, looks just like the original. Inspirational, it makes me want to tackle my B-wing.

Question: did you apply a primer, or did you put Tamiya acrylics directly onto the naked plastic?

Really fantastic build, looks just like the original. Inspirational, it makes me want to tackle my B-wing.

Question: did you apply a primer, or did you put Tamiya acrylics directly onto the naked plastic?
Thank you! In this case i applied a flat black primer on everything before applying the base white coat, it helps with shadows and highlights.

Awesome job!! Restrained, ILM-type weathering is spot on. Makes me want to pull out second B-Wing from stash and build. Still looking for a good scheme/profile, though. Something different. Hm.

This looks amazing! I wish I had been more ambitious when I started my B-Wing; I only applied the decals to the plastic. Later when I get a chance I’ll go back and touch it up with some paint.

Did you use the copper tape method on the drum to get the lighting to work and yet allow the cockpit to turn 360? I am debating this right now, attempt using the copper tape, or go with a static cockpit. This is my first attempt at fiber optics and have only just starting lighting kits.

Absolutely beautiful job, fantastic weathering

Only one thing & I don't like to say it, the lights behind the pilot.
Lights in the cockpit were placed beside & in front of the pilot

The logic is the pilot would have no need to have lit instruments or switches behind them

Your build is beautiful

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back