1/350 Pacific Rim model kits by Max Factory/PLAMAX

Gypsy Danger parts detail:

http://special.goodsmile.info/gipsydanger/

5a5NxqZ.jpg

More at the above link

Meanwhile modelers who have been given early test shots of the kits are already going overboard

https://twitter.com/mash1588/status/784065154157727744

iy46iB6.jpg

ThOFtbt.jpg

pi5oWML.jpg

Ul8srKV.jpg

Wasn't initially impressed when the first pics of these came out.....i.e. didn't immediately think "got to have these....now!" But since I've been following this thread, they are definitely growing on me :thumbsup :thumbsup.
Gypsy (Gipsy?) Danger would look really great with a slightly metallic sheen to the blue paint I reckon.

just ordered mine today! anybody know of any good feeds to follow for instructions on painting? I'm relatively new to modeling and i want to learn the best ways for painting and detail.

Got my Cherno Alpha about 2 weeks ago and extremely happy with it, just going overboard with adding extra lights and will post some pics once I got enough progress.

Gipsy Danger should be arriving any day now. Going by average shipping times from Japan to my house it could have been here last Friday :(

I was actually really surprised they didn't included a paint guide like model kits usually do.

I wasn't gonna think about it until I was done with the mods, but then Mr. Color released the Russian Green Color Modulation Set and I'll probably use that for Cherno, look pretty perfect: http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=1874

As for Gipsy Danger I'll probably look through the various WWII US Navy aircraft colors. They had a ton of blues that I'm assuming were the inspiration for the color scheme.

I got both kits just the other day, looks good! As for painting, I'm going with different Vallejo Air: Russian Green 4BO for the Cherno A and Steel Blue for the Gipsy D. I'm basing it on the color schemes of russian tanks and the Vought F4U Corsair

Ah, thanks for the inspiration guys, didn't think about looking at aircraft colors in specific, was just looking at all the blues.

My Cherno came a few days ago was surprised how big the box was might not touch this just yet still have some projects I want to clear first before I tackle this guy, but nonetheless awesome model.

what do you guys think, these are the two colors I picked up for GD, both model masters, lighter one is intermediate blue, dark one is dark sea blue. I'm thinking the dark sea is the better choice of the two but not sure how weathering would show up on it.

20170208_114441.jpg

I've finally received Gipsy Danger last Friday and I must say I'm a lot less happy with it than I am with Cherno Alpha.

Gipsy has a full ABS frame and that really annoys me. Here's the thing, Max Factory is still relatively new to injection plastic kit. As a company that made resin, vinyl kits and pre-painted figures they've been around since the mid-80s. However their first injection kit came out just 3 years ago. Still, the kits they've made so far have been really fantastic for someone who just got into it and I'm really glad they did. I'm just not happy that they chose Gipsy, the hero bot of the movie as the experiment for full ABS frame. Cherno Alpha on the other hand is fantastic, full polystyrene kit, zero complaints.

ABS frames are an interesting subject in tiny plastic robots. Bandai started experimenting with ABS frames at the start of the millennium. Back then it made sense for their Master Grade kits because they wanted more and more internal detail and ABS allowed them to slowly phase out polycaps which at that point could be pretty huge and take up lots of space. It also allowed them to make much smaller kits. They eventually made the tiny F91 and Crossbone MGs which were only made possible by the full ABS frame. They even started making polycapless joints in the 1/144 kits. However at the end of the last decade they started phasing out ABS. One of the main reasons for this is because it became brittle when painted with lacquer hobby paints and those are by far the most popular in Japan. Mr. Color website even has a warning about this. The tiny robots they make now are back to being majority polystyrene with polyethylene polycaps. So in the end Bandai tried ABS and decided against it. At the start it allowed them to make very mobile kits without going insane with tolerances but now that they got the tolerances down with styrene they no longer need ABS.

One great benefit Bandai has is in-house production. It's very easy for them to go between the design office and the actual injection machines and technicians and fix up all the issues. Max Factory on the other designs their kits in Japan but they're produced in China. This no doubt significantly hinders the development process with test shots taking time to ship back and forth. Also if you look closely the released kits have the occasional difference from what the parts look like in the manual so there certainly was a lot of iteration, no effort spared. Kotobukiya is another company that designs kits in Japan and has them made in China, but they have 11 years mode experience than Max Factory doing this. They also have a similarly protracted announcement and development cycle and also rely quite a bit on ABS. Maybe China just like injecting ABS more? Either way Kotobukiya still makes some fantastic kits.

This is probably a bit ranty but I needed to get it out of my system. I'm really happy these kits exist. I'm really happy Max Factory makes injection kits. I love their Dougram line, I love their Minimum Factory line and I really love Cherno Alpha. I just wish Gipsy Danger had a PS frame. It really did not need to be an experiment. Crimson Typhoon on the other hand has some really skinny arms and that would have probably been perfect for an ABS frame experiment. I look forward to how they improve in the future because they no doubt will.

Oh well, back to stuffing Cherno Alpha full of fiber optics and extra LEDs :D

You made some good points TM. Hopefully we'll get more models in the PS.

Would love to see what you're doing with Cherno, I started with GD and realizing how many leds are possibly missing out of it. I'm a little disappointed the gun arms don't light up so already working out a plan to add some leds to them.

what do you guys think, these are the two colors I picked up for GD, both model masters, lighter one is intermediate blue, dark one is dark sea blue. I'm thinking the dark sea is the better choice of the two but not sure how weathering would show up on it.

View attachment 705403

My vote is on the lighter intermediate blue. Being a HUGE fan of the movie and seeing it a gazillion times, once you weather it I think it will look very accurate to Gypsy's on screen look. Just my 2 cents.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back