1/2500 Enterprise D - First project in 10 years...

Aoxomoxoa

Been lurking for a while, now it's time for my first post.

Small scale kit, big project for me. Trying to get into the swing of things again. Actually had to get my old tackle-box-o'-modelling-stuff out of storage and also buy a lot of new stuff.

I started again with the AMT 1/2500 Enterprise D kit. At first I was going to nail it together, paint it, and decal it. Then the old modeller came back and that wasn't going to be good enough. Now I plan on lighting it using fiber optics and LED's. I've worked with fiber optics before, but didn't have a clue on LED lighting. In the past few weeks, I've learned a lot. YouTube is a wonderful thing..

Anyway, here are some WIP pics. Yes, I did remove most of the raised panel lines. I just don't think it looks right at this scale.

Any helpful hints and suggestions are welcome.

IMG_1761.JPGIMG_1688.JPGIMG_1685.JPG

Welcome aboard and welcome back to the hobby! Have fun with this project. Seems like you have a good plan going. Just make sure to post lots of pictures!

A few more pics: Fiber optics in the secondary hull and primary hull halves together.

I know there are four lights on the rear of the secondary hull (two top, two bottom), but I think I can pull that off with some good masking and some canopy glue. Rough light-blocking on there. Everything's in its awkward phase right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Update that's been too long in the works.

Corrected the primary hull impulse engines by scratch building the ports and modifying the surrounding area.

IMG_3009.JPGIMG_3006.JPG

Beefed up the spine on the engineering hull and scratch built the impulse engine there as well.
IMG_4705b.jpgImpulse Lit.jpg

Testing out the nacelle lighting. I hogged out a set of blue resin nacelles and vacuum formed the top and bottom halves. This lighting is using only one LED. The styrene hasn't been painted yet.
New Nacelles 4.jpg

Lighting for the dish.
Dish2.jpg

And finally some paint.
IMG_5387b.jpgIMG_5388b.jpg

There's a lot more to it, I'll post some more pics of the progress.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back