1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - DONE!!

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - MOVING AHEAD!

Wait - your brain what now?! You okay?!

Hehe yeah unfortunately I suffered a stroke and aneurism a little while ago. Recovery is coming along, just slowly. My wife and kids are my heroes, they've taken care of me since it happened.

I might! Also, if it's too cost prohibitive, I'll just do a couple pulls in the vac plastic for myself and a few others, and call it a day... dunno what the "breaking point" is for people with this one. Probably low :p

Hehe yeah unfortunately I suffered a stroke and aneurism a little while ago. Recovery is coming along, just slowly. My wife and kids are my heroes, they've taken care of me since it happened.

Wow! Glad you are doing better man. My doctor is always warning me about this happening to me because of my issues. The Brett Michaels incident scared me too. Good luck with the recovery.

And Jason, awesome work so far on this. Keep it up.

Andy

Wow! Glad you are doing better man. My doctor is always warning me about this happening to me because of my issues. The Brett Michaels incident scared me too. Good luck with the recovery.

And Jason, awesome work so far on this. Keep it up.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

It's crazy, the whole Brett Michaels incident didn't faze me at the time, but it definitely resonates now. The crazy part was that all of my blood work and indicators showed me as fit as a fiddle, no high blood pressure,good vital stats... Except for the whole exploded artery and stuff, hehe! Damn genetics, hehe!!

Really looking forward to working on this Jason!

Glad to see this one coming along. I'm definitely interested in one. My studio is all Japanese and the blimp was always one of my favorite things from Blade Runner.

and pics! LOTS of them!
Blimp | Douglas Trumbull - Immersive Media and Visual Effects
click on each image
then right click and 'view image'
then remove the word ".preview" from the file name
and...
blimp_screen5.jpg

Ahhh...thanks. I had a hard time navigating the site to even get the movies to work. Thanks for the tip. Some AMAZING pics there!

I just went back there and can't see any way to see more than just the poster for each movie. I've got a flash blocker - maybe it's blocking something. That's why I missed most of the pics the first time around. Frustrating site, but a goldmine.

Ok, just edited post again: found 67 pages of photos.

Last edited:

Great tip Lee. I was able to get a bunch of pictures from your link and open them in the larger size. I haven't been able to navagate to get other pictures though. The Videos are all great too.

Andy

Thanks Lee! Had the majority of those pics, but there were TWO shots I really needed... sweet.

Now you guys will know if my kit will be accurate or not, LOL!

Thank you, Lee for spilling the beans, and thank you, Nick, for scooping up the beans and sharing them :)

My vacformer is getting ever closer to getting some pulls into my hands. He estimates they will be around $150 a set (upper, bottom, nest-able upper for access panel).

I'll start an interest thread in the Junkyard when I have something to show!

While I eagerly await the vac pulls, I am assembling the Geisha footage I have, so I can add it to the Offworld Ad, and make the video "seamless" and feel real.

geisha.jpg

Once I get the pulls, I can start building the armature, gondolas, etc. People who get pulls will get access to buying the other stuff I generate...

... including exact photoetch generated DIRECTLY from the original art made for the production of the film! You cannot get more accurate than that!

Sounds good Jason! I love the blimp. And it would help so much to get more than just the vacformed pulls.

I've been approached to build more than a couple of these, so yeah, it just makes sense to have the parts cast. I'm not calling it a kit, because there will be a fair amount of problem solving and kit bashing that people will have to do on their own, including brass rod braising. But it will be a HUGE help to get you to a finished model.

I've been approached to build more than a couple of these, so yeah, it just makes sense to have the parts cast. I'm not calling it a kit, because there will be a fair amount of problem solving and kit bashing that people will have to do on their own, including brass rod braising. But it will be a HUGE help to get you to a finished model.
Count me in, I will be watching the junkyard for the post. It has some many lighting effects I cant pass it up! Nice job Moff, keep up the great work! Randy

LOL I've been visiting the Trumball site more than I care to admit since I saw the Hades video on Gizmodo.

Some of those spinner shots of the process interior are gold! I've been looking for pics like those for YEARS... and some of you know this cuz I've bugged everyone about them, hehe!

Thank you Nick for gathering all of the shots, saved me a ton of time!! although those first files with the "._blimp1" filenames you can probably remove from the zip file as they aren't actually images.

Great to see the progress on this Jason! Looking forward to seeing more of the goodness! Oh and if you could please PM me with where to find the LCD panels you plan on using?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back