1/16 King Tiger...done

takevin

Sr Member
I finished this up awhile ago, other then the electronics I'm trying work it out lol. This started as a Heng Long tank as seen by the first few pictures. The guts ie motor and crap gearing were replaced with some very robust heavy duty motors and gearing. I added a 8 channel radio along with a controller/sound unit that sounds just like the real deal with two speakers. It's quite loud when turned up and has dynamic control just like a real tank would move and stop. I applied zimmerit to the body, added a bunch of detail pieces, finalized by various weathering: salt technique, dry and wet washes, charcoal and textured spray paint. This was done as working model when I scratch build a 1/4 scale King Tiger down the road.

DSC05029.jpg

DSC05037.jpg

2012-01-05191149.jpg

tiger19.jpg

tiger18.jpg

tiger16.jpg

tiger15.jpg

tiger12.jpg

tiger9.jpg

tiger7.jpg

tiger2.jpg

tiger1.jpg

tiger22.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0093copy.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

Last edited:
Man that's a massive improvement over the stock tank. I looked into RC tanks before but I knew i'd get myself into trouble chasing the pets with it lol.

How did you get the zimmerit texture? Not something I've seen done by many folks, but then I don't get to look at military scale stuff too much.

I bought green putty and used a rc enginr gear mounted on a metal rod. You want to small sections at a time. I trowled on the zimmerit first with a piece of plastic and then rolled with the gear leaving a slight space going up and down. :) I did some practice first on a piece of plastic before I applied it to the tank. The one pic above shows the tank partly covered in the green putty. Practice first because there is a learning curve to it. A lotof people can be intimidated by it but I found it be pretty easy with a little work.

ooooooooh whats the big tank in the backround in the 3rd pic down????

abrams?

-z

Thank you. Yes Zorg ts the 21 century 1/9 scale rc abrams tank. Currently its gutted and being rebuilt from the ground up. Same control/sound sytem, 8 ch radio, new motors and gears and reworking and beefing up wheel mounts and lower body too. It will be fully detailed also. Hope to have it done this summer. Also I redid a 1/6 stuart tank from the ground up. I have a post with pics on here, just do a search on here and you'll see it. :)

Wow it originally looked like a toy with that horrid paint job, but man this looks like a museum model after you gave it the Pimp my ride treatment Lol, beautiful job! (y)thumbsup.

Thank you. Yes Zorg ts the 21 century 1/9 scale rc abrams tank. Currently its gutted and being rebuilt from the ground up. Same control/sound sytem, 8 ch radio, new motors and gears and reworking and beefing up wheel mounts and lower body too. It will be fully detailed also. Hope to have it done this summer. Also I redid a 1/6 stuart tank from the ground up. I have a post with pics on here, just do a search on here and you'll see it. :)

thanks for the info, it should be huuuuuuuge when finished

well done on rescuing the king tiger btw

-z

Really nice.

Gotta ask though, is that figure bigger than 1/16? If that's an MG34 on his cupola it seems kinda small.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back