My 16" Land of the Giants Spindrift.

MARK M3

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After spending a lot of time making someone else's, I felt like taking some pictures of my personal 16" SPINDRIFT from Land of the Giants.
Land of the Giants expert, Mark Joseph Dorais used files cast from the original HERO filming miniature. This 16"model was hollow cast with no interior. I fabricated a mock cockpit and did all the lighting.
The model was totally airbrushed using Tamiya and Vallejo Paints. I elected to weather the build (I am personally not a fan of the "new" car look).
It has all the flaws of the miniature, which I appreciate. A model of a model. Again, which I prefer. After all, it wasn't a real spaceship.(sorry).

eiPhYO.jpg

8LV2ab.jpg

TP0lVi.jpg

BoGv6Z.jpg

I totally forgot about this show. That and Lost in Space, watching the reruns in the late 80s early 90s for me. Possibly on Nick at Night, but might have been another channel. I watched more of Lost in Space then this, so I remember very little.
Cool build either way.

I've always loved the Spindrift, especially when the proportions are correct. Yours is dead on (obviously, based on the source material). Hopefully the rumors of a larger scale Polar Lights kit are true and they don't sacrifice the elegant arcs of the hull just to make the main door open like on the old Aurora kit. I need an accurate Spindrift, not a play set.

I've always loved the Spindrift, especially when the proportions are correct. Yours is dead on (obviously, based on the source material). Hopefully the rumors of a larger scale Polar Lights kit are true and they don't sacrifice the elegant arcs of the hull just to make the main door open like on the old Aurora kit. I need an accurate Spindrift, not a play set.
WOW! A Kindred spirit! Not a rumor, Moebius is indeed making a 20" 1:32 Scale Spindrift. However, as nice as it undoubtedly will be, I believe they will not incorporate the curves seen on the hero miniature...

Here is something you may also enjoy...

Not a rumor, Moebius is indeed making a 20" 1:32 Scale Spindrift. However, as nice as it undoubtedly will be, I believe they will not incorporate the curves seen on the hero miniature...
That's a shame. I understand the desire to offer an interior that matches the full-size sets, and that most people won't notice the difference, but I'd rather have a non-opening door with maybe the option of having the door open or closed if it means keeping the curve of the hull. The way the line of the hull arcs from the engines all the way to the top of the cockpit is what makes the design work, IMHO. It's like the difference between a fat or a flat Millennium Falcon. One looks right and the other just doesn't.
Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 12.18.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 12.16.42 PM.png

That's a shame. I understand the desire to offer an interior that matches the full-size sets, and that most people won't notice the difference, but I'd rather have a non-opening door with maybe the option of having the door open or closed if it means keeping the curve of the hull. The way the line of the hull arcs from the engines all the way to the top of the cockpit is what makes the design work, IMHO. It's like the difference between a fat or a flat Millennium Falcon. One looks right and the other just doesn't.View attachment 1730007View attachment 1730009
I love the curves on the miniature. The only straight line on the miniature is the tail. I too wish they would have made a copy of the Filming miniature. But it seems the necessary inclusion of a stage set is more important.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back