1/15 scale Landspeeder with Luke

Scott Graham

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This was a fun little project. A seller on ebay named darksidemodels, from Spain, sells painted and kit forms of a landspeeder in 1/15 scale-ish. I thought the painting on the painted version looked nice, so I bought one.

Then when I got it, I noticed many differences between the graphic paint job and the actual model and full scale prop from the movie. So I ended up spot repainting the model with some help with accurate color mixing info from the seller. The paints were tamiya and were mixes of 3-4 colors. One of the inaccurate areas was the big round dark red-brown arc on the top in front. Although better, mine still seems a bit off. It needs to be rounder. Close enough...

It also had a normal steering wheel placed on the left side. So I made a steering wheel more like an aircraft wheel used on the full sized prop and put it on the correct right side.

One last thing that needs fixing, but I wasn't able to do anything is the van-formed windshield. It has a lip on it instead of being a straight sheet, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the extra material.

The rear center engine vane was also too thick, so that was cut down and sanded and repainted.

Then when I was working on it I wanted a scene to put it into. So I thought of a simple base with some kind of machinery from the family farm in one corner of it and luke standing off to the side. An 11x14 metal picture frame with sand and putty placed directly on the acrylic, after sanding, were added.

The seller recommended a resin 1/15 scale figure of Luke for sale. That figure ended up having a very flat body. I added lots of miliput to fill out the back of the chest and elbow areas of the arms. The rear belt area also got some pouches that were missing, also made from miliput.

So it ended up that I repainted parts of the landspeeder and modified some parts. With a modified and painted resin figure. And made up base. It was fun!

The only problem is and was that the speeder has a nasty bow in it that I don't think would come out without heating it up and unwarping it. That would wreck the paint job. Oh well...

Thanks guys! I was kind of stuck with that Luke pose...LOL

I'm thinking of adding a rifle and maybe macro binoculars in the future. Rifle on the landspeeder and microbinocs maybe sitting in the passenger seat.

Thanks! I kind of want to make macrobinoculars to sit in the passenger seat and put the rifle on the speeder too - if I can figure out how to model them.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back