1:1 Thor Build - COMPLETED!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by CaptainSuperman, Dec 25, 2011.

1. CaptainSuperman

CaptainSuperman Well-Known Member

I am finishing my 1:1 TFA Captain America in the next few weeks and I am starting to look ahead to my next project. I had decided to do an X2 Wolverine, until my buddy pointed out last night that I have a 1:1 Ironman, Hulk and Cap and that he thought it made more sense to stick to an Avengers theme to the room and not just Marvel.

His point made a lot of sense to me and got my wheels turning. I have looked around and have been impressed with a few individual accomplishments but I have not seen much in the way of costume/armor for sale.

So I wanted to put out this thread to enlist your help in finding quality pieces to purchase (as I don't have the skill to make this myself yet).

Also I will have one bonus money coming in towards the end of JAN, so if needed I may be able to commission someone to make one for me if the resources do not already exist . Any suggestions are appreciated on that also.

My goal is to collect the best quality possible, both in workmanship and material, please help if you can. Thank you

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. ironspider

ironspider New Member

Re: 1:1 Thor Movie Costume (Help Needed!!!)

im building a hulk very soon and am working on ironman just waiting to see what they doing with his suit for the new movie ive seen thor and capt in various pics online but none of ironman im also starting to airbrush sum stuff
    as well let me know if you would like to work together or get me to make ur stuff im pretty novice but could use the motivation to get better as well as the practice

3. Hermes

Hermes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, I could help out with some parts as well, should that be the case. What version would you want? The Avengers one or the regular one seen in Thor?

4. CaptainSuperman

My Cap is from TFA and my Ironman is the Mark III from the first ironman film, the Hulk was based off the Edward Norton Hulk, so I wanted to stick with that theme and have this display be from the Thor movie, not the avengers version.

5. Hermes

Hermes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, let me know if you need any assistance :)

6. CaptainSuperman

Thanks, I just sent you a PM. I also sent out a few E-mails to some respected prop builders I have worked with in the past to see if they would be interested in contributing to making the armor, shin guards and gauntlets.

I also have not figured out the hammer and helmet yet. Any suggestions on who makes any of these thhings, or who could be commissioned to help would be appreciated still.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  7. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

All I have is this. Never made the pep file for it though. Just have the 3D Model for it, and the full 3D Model for the entire character.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

8. ironspider

ironspider New Member

i am here i work with foam and leather sculpting as well

9. CaptainSuperman

Thank you for this... I have never done a pep project, but if I can't get this project commissioned I may try my hand at it. It has alway interested me.

To Ironspider- thanks I sent you a PM

10. doc

doc Active Member

That model is amazing, im sure someone on here could hook it up. Great find

11. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

you should hit up graphicjordan, he made one out of foam that is amazing.

12. CaptainSuperman

Thanks, I have actually sent him a couple PMs... I'm sure he is busy and will reply when he has a moment. I do think his suit looks great so far.

13. cole1999

cole1999 New Member

What application did you use to make the Thor suit? :confused :confused

14. CaptainSuperman

So here is where we are:

I have think I have lined up someone to make the chest armor. It will be full front and back, rubber with resin components. I will take a day or two to sleep on it, but I think I will go that route.

I plan on taking a swing at doing the cape and pants myself. Any advice or reference material would be greatly appreciated.

I have lined up to buy the chainmail arms that I want (when they come in I will start posting pics) and I have the perfect mannequin here for this project.

Now the biggest thing I am worried about is the gauntlets, shinguards and leg brace. Other than Graphic Jordan (who's stuff looked amazing) dose anyone know someone who makes these or does anyone have good reference material on these (pep files etc). I bought the concept art book and Blu ray, but neither were very helpful on these items.

Please let me know if you all have any suggestions, advice or things you can share to help this project get off the ground.

15. Captainjaze

Captainjaze Active Member

Nice idea!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  16. CaptainSuperman

Re: 1:1 Thor Movie Costume (WIP)

Update:

I bought the chainmail arms, helmet and hammer. I also may have figured out the gauntlets, shinguards and leg brace. Should start having some of these items arrive soon so I can start posting som pics.

Since this thing is starting to one together and is solidifying so fast I am thinking head to what the display stand should look like and what facial expression the bust should have. (open to suggestions for both)

17. Radion

Radion Member

What arms did you end up getting that's the major sticking point for my build

18. CaptainSuperman

Here is a look at what I have been able to find so far.

This is the mannequin I will be using:
    [​IMG]

I am getting these arms from darthchiro.
    [​IMG]

I am getting the helmet and hammer off eBay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Radion

Radion Member

Re: 1:1 Thor Movie Costume (WIP) pics added 1-14-2012

That's amazing how much did the arms set u back darth said he wasn't going to do the arms unless he had the Numbers or coin so can imagine were expensive =s

20. Captainjaze

yes please share how much???

21. CaptainSuperman

I think he actually made these out of foam not latex like he had intended to in his interest post.

To be honest I am not sure how much he charges just for the chainmail because I also bought a muscle shirt from him, but he was very reasonable.

22. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool! This will be the most challenging one to put together I bet. Arms look incredible. What are the origins of that helmet and hammer though? Fan sculpts?

23. CaptainSuperman

Yeah, this one has been a challenge but it has been coming together in miraculous fashion.

My big question marks at this point is the cape and pants. Then how I will raise the money for another fettster made bust ;)

The helmet and hammer are fan sculpts. I can't remember the name of the guy off hand, but I will get that when I get home tonight.

24. Captainjaze

25. CaptainSuperman

Yup, that's the right guy. He has been pretty good o work with. Has sent a few progress pics

26. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ah. I remember when he was working on that. He used to be a member here. Thanks for the info.

27. Captainjaze

Man I wish THOR wore this more in the movie or Id buy the helmet!

28. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool!

29. Judge Max

Judge Max New Member

Wow- this suit is starting to look awesome- cant wait to see it finished........
    Also- thats a proper superhero mannequin you got there Captainsuperman- where did you get that <10 times better than the standard shop ones you see>......

30. CaptainSuperman

Thanks

I was fortunate enough to find the mannequin on eBay. I search Nike mannequin once or twice a week. A couple times a year you can find some good stuff on there.

I will caution you that they cost a lot to ship. My seller tried to back out because shipping was going to cost $300 more than she expected. I was able to come up with some creative solutions to get the cost down and had to pay out a little more money to get it here.

31. CaptainSuperman

Here are a couple of close ups of the head of the hammer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. Captainjaze

SICK!!!!

33. lordtalon

lordtalon New Member

Love the helm and hammer!

34. CaptainSuperman

I got some more progress pics in on the arms today. He plans to finish rounding out the shoulders and adding some more muscle definition to them, but they are shaping up well so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, I purchased these pants today, I will make a couple alterations to them, but they should be close enough to work.
    [​IMG]

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  35. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The sleeves look awesome!

36. CaptainSuperman

I have been searching high and low to see if anyone on here has done a Thor cape with the wire mounting (arches).... But have not had any luck

Has anyone made one, or does anyone have any good tips or reference material I can use to make my own?

37. Survivalist

Survivalist Member

I gotta get some of that armor!!

38. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Fan-BLOODY-tastic!

39. CaptainSuperman

I am working with the person I commissioned to make the armor to find good reference material. I found this Hot Toys vest on Ebay.... I wanted to see if anyone was aware of any inaccuracies or had any better source material. Please let me know

[​IMG]

40. galmando

galmando Member

Re: 1:1 Thor Movie Costume (WIP) Cape/Armor Help Needed!!!!

For a second I thought that was your armor! I was like 'wow!'

Then I recognised it! Lol

I've drawn this suit a few times at conventions for people asking for Thor sketches, from what I can tell, the Hot Toys figure is very accurate

I'm going to be getting the Art of Thor book, but maybe someone on the boards already has a copy that may have good reference pics?

41. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Keep it up!

42. CaptainSuperman

Thanks for the info on hot toys, I thought the area were the cape connects looked a little off.

I have the art book... It's great concept art, but not great in regards to production reference.

UPDATE:

Helmet/Hammer: both came in and look good. I will need to repaint the helmet when the gauntlets get in so they match. The hammer seems too big, but when the arms, armor, head and cape are attached it may not be out of proportion.

Pants: The pants came in and fit perfectly... Not much needs to be done on these.

Gauntlets/Shinguards: Phantom Prophet is working on a set fir me. Should be done before March. Will have progress pics in a couple weeks.

Armor: I paid today for the armor to be made, should get progress pics soon. Will take about 3 months to complete.

Chainmail: The arms should be completed tonight or tomorrow. Will get pics up as soon as possible.

Bust: I am working on a run for the TFA Captain America bust Fettster is making for me. (Assuming I get enough interest) the money I make on this run will go towards a Thor bust

Cape: still wide open on the cape.... Could use some help in source material or someone to make this for me. (PLEASE HELP)

43. CaptainSuperman

Here are a couple updated shots on the arms. As you can see, more detail was added to the shoulders and the muscle suit sleeves under the chainmail and shading help give it a better effect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

44. siliconsaint

siliconsaint New Member

I've looked a variations on that cape. It's unclear the exact wire framework they're using to create the uplift off the chest piece. If you can give us an idea what your chest piece material will be (and perhaps some pics) we might be able to suggest some way to affix the cape a create the affect.

Thanks!

45. CaptainSuperman

The chest armor will be a thick rubber, but it won't be done for another couple months.

I was wondering if I would need to use the same tools used in bending conduit to build a wire frame or if there is an easier way. It looks like the frame would need to be made of a thicker wire to build the frame to hold all that material up,

46. ugameenough

ugameenough Active Member

yooooooo thats tuff! i want one of every tning lol good work man.

47. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

For my boyfriend's cape, we purchased some lovely red wool. We will be making foam supports for the shoulders - possibly coating in resin or something else volatlie smelling to give it the stiffness it needs and/or building up a wedge/arch on the inside so it rests on the shoulders. Then magnets or velcro to attach to the shoulder bits where it covers the front.

48. CaptainSuperman

Please let me know how that works for you. I was thinking wool seems like it would be really heavy.

I have been hitting the sewing stores a little, but have not seen anything that has just clicked yet. I need to make a choice soon though because the gauntlets and shinguards are almost done and will need the same red cloth for those that I will use for the cape.

49. CaptainSuperman

here are the finished arms.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

50. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

Probably won't get to draping the cape until at least next week. but it needs to be a little bit heavier fabric to hang right. the screen-used fabric is also a wool. twill will probably not drape right and billow incorrectly when walking, but it is lighter (and cheaper) than wool.