1:1 MSE-6 Mouse Droid

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by minifig, Feb 12, 2012.

1. minifig

minifig Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello Everyone

I thought I'd show you what I've been doing whilst taking a break from the Death Star tiles!

After doing the 1:1 clone trooper blaster I wanted to contribute to my friends Star Wars group some more, and thought that an r/c mouse droid would be both neat and achievable, and would fit in well with their rapidly expanding collection of costumes and replica props!!!

I tried to make it as look as accurate as I could with the reference I could find, but the construction is completely unauthentic!! the body is fabricated from sheet styrene rather than vac formed ( I don't have access to a vac former big enough) and most of the greeblies are scratch built.

I haven't the first clue about r/c so cobbled the workings together from old cars and components off of ebay. An authentic car chassis from the '70s is ridiculously expensive so I was only really concerned about getting the wheels roughly correct, you know, the bits you can see.

Anyway, here's some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like it :O)

Once I've figured out how to do it, I would like to put some sounds into it, but that might have to wait until after the next batch of Death Star!!!!

minifig

Shredhead74 likes this.
  2. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

It looks terrific. And your photos are most excellent as well.

3. J Scorn

J Scorn Sr Member

that is incredible detail for something that was on the screen for 6 seconds lol, if it helps, ive see the mouse droid sound board on a star wars sound board for the i phone.

4. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

That's a mighty fine looking droid. Great work!

5. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

That looks ridiculous. Ridiculously awesome!!!

6. Logan Cade

Logan Cade Well-Known Member

Impressive.....most impressive.

ghettojedi likes this.
  7. DOGFOX2109

DOGFOX2109 New Member

Quality droid!! is it full size or the scaled one?

8. minifig

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

@DOGFOX2109 - Its what I 'believe' to be full size; I scaled it off the things I could be sure of - the ic chips and valve sockets, but with all the distortion you get on photos I have no way of knowing the actual dimensions. At some point I must try a photo-overlay just to see how far off I am ;O)

minifig

9. ComedicHistory

ComedicHistory Active Member

Great job, I'd buy one if you were ever interested in starting a run.... ;) :-D

Shredhead74 likes this.
  10. Snowmann

Snowmann Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

amazing pics, well done :thumbsup

11. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome job on the cylinder details on top....how did you do these???

Markus

12. minifig

I would love to do a run, but like I said, I didn't vac-form the body, so don't have the means to replicate the main shell.

I did cast some of the parts, like the ic chips and the resistors and capacitors on the greebly bit as well as the rf socket and screw heads, but again, just fabricated the chassis of the amps. It also worked out cheaper to just buy certain components that are still available today...like the little capacitors on the side motherboards and even the valve sockets!

But if anyone wants some info on what stuff I bought, or really wants me to cast them some of the components I scratchbuilt then just let me know and we can try and work something out :O)

If there is enough demand for certain components I'll set up a junkyard thread or something!

13. Dragontomb

Dragontomb Active Member

Awesome build. I was wondering when I would see somebody build this droid.

14. minifig

It really is a great droid for a 'beginner', or somebody working up to something more ambitious.

The question is...what to do next????

minifig

15. masterstumpy

masterstumpy Active Member

Love it!!! I want to tackle one of these one day!!!

16. minifig

@masterstumpy - Do it!!! It's really quite simple really, I probably only spent about 40-50 hours on it...and a big chunk of that was trying to work out the dimensions...and an even bigger chunk was muddling my way through the r/c stuff :O)

minifig

17. jamiemcshan

jamiemcshan Member

Do you have any construction photos of your top greebles? I would like to see what you used to make them from.

Thanks,
    Jamie

18. catch

catch Member

Absolute great job!!!

19. JasonCash

JasonCash Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to build one of these....

20. Logan Cade

Logan Cade Well-Known Member

Would really love a kit of this...and what's this about the next batch of Death Stars?

21. Fezman92

Fezman92 New Member

That is so cute!

22. minifig

@jamiemcshan - I am notoriously bad at doing progress shots, so no, I don't have any :O( but I do still have my scratchbuilt patterns so I'll take a photo of them for you in the next couple of days and post them up here.

A few people have also shown some interest in buying some of the greebly components, so a photo will also show what I would have available!

@Logan Cade - It's not Death Stars I've been making!!!! At least not directly ;O) I've been making the surface tiles!http://www.therpf.com/f11/death-star-surface-tiles-48049/
    I've got two more modules to do and I'm currently researching and IDing kit parts and the like!

minifig

23. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is one of those props I've always wanted. About ten years ago, Richie's Armor made a vacuformed shell. I never pulled the trigger on it because I never had any idea where I could locate the top and side details to complete the project.

You did an outstanding job with yours.

24. minifig

Cheers MJF

Must say thanks to Toromodel for the shots of the mousedroid. Also whoever it was (sorry) who took the close up shots of the landspeeder details which showed me the underside circuitry of the top racks!

I've taken a photo of the components I made for the amp rack.

[​IMG]

The yellow tube is the large capacitor (x6 per rack)

Then there is the rf socket (x1 per rack)

Then the white tube which houses the power resistor (x8 per rack)

Next the little brown pieces are for the metalmite capacitors (x18 per rack)

On the very right is the little screw heads for the top of the mounting poles (x2 per rack)

Last in the middle is the extra ic chip with resistor and holes for capacitors that goes on one of the side motherboards (x3 per droid)

The capacitors are in two parts so that I could drill a small location hole in the rack chassis and then sandwich the two 'halves' around it.

minifig

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  25. tk2647

tk2647 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow, looks really nice....yesterday I got my stuff from MC to finish my MSE... :)

26. jamiemcshan

jamiemcshan Member

Wow... very nice work... can I asked what are these made of? I am guessing these are resin that you cast up?

Jamie

27. modellbaubert

modellbaubert New Member

Just incredibble!! I've no words.
    The details are great!! Wonderful work!!

28. minifig

Jamie,

The 'yellow bits' and the 'brown bits' are made from two different grades of tooling board.
    The 'white bits' are inevitably styrene (plasticard)
    The 'grey bits' are things I'd previously cast in resin (including an IC chip in its mounting socket)

All the IC chips in the sockets on the side panels were castings- actual IC's are just a bit too expensive not to make casting them worth while, though the empty sockets are actual sockets.

29. davros

davros New Member

Cracking Droid Build.

What size are those wheels ? ? ?

30. minifig

@davros - I haven't got the droid to hand at the moment, its currently doing the rounds with a friends costume group, but I would guess that the front ones are about 65-70mm diameter and the rears about 75-80mm? I can find out for you if you need some exact measurements :O)

m

31. Faillen

Faillen New Member

wow that's lovely! hahaha I'd love to have one of these spinning around my house XDD

Anyway, can I ask you how you made the painting? I love these non-shiny industrial look but I never managed to get it...

32. minifig

Cheers, the painting is really basic, its just straight from the can satin black, I think the actual paint I had to hand was Games Workshop Chaos Black. I wanted something that I ccould just spray on quickly to repair the inevitable damage it would suffer from bumping into things!!!

m

33. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Awesome job. That came out great!!

34. Faillen

Faillen New Member

wow, thank you!!! I usually paint with citadel, so I'll have some of this spray over there hahaha. I'll try! You barnished it? thank you very much!

35. minifig

No, I didn't varnish it, just to make re-touching easier and believe me, after a spell of letting my kids drive it round the house it often needs re-touching!!!!

In theory though, I think the side motherboards and possibly the racks should be slightly more glossy so you could try a gloss paint or varnish on those pieces before you attach them to the body.

m

36. xingshen

xingshen Active Member

37. minifig

Yeah I joined that group (but a bit after the fact!) The sound files are great, but I'm still not sure of the best way of getting them into the droid and having it make the sounds I want, when I want. I'm probably overcomplicating things and will end up with just a little mp3 player, constantly playing the sounds on shuffle!!!

minifig

38. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

If you have a smartphone, you can put in a blue tooth speaker and use your phone to play whatever sounds you want. Trooper Trent covered it recently in his R2 build I think.

39. Margh

Margh New Member

awesome work !!!

40. skibble

skibble New Member

Nicely done.

Though i've been thinking of how to conceal the remote in an e-11 for trooping.

41. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo New Member

Have you considered putting in an iPod with some speakers for sound? One of the guys in my garrison did this and it was awesome! It would randomly scream and make noises.

42. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did that for my jawa and Trooper display. I used a old Shuffle and loaded it with sound files and put it on the shuffle setting. I got the sound clips from the soundboard on StarWars.com. They do have one clip of MSE Droid.

StarWars.com | Star Wars Soundboards

Unfortunately, it also has Chewie growling a well. :(

43. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Cool!!

Dbbt-dbbt dbbt-dbbt!!

44. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work! The mouse droid is currently at number 3 on my projects list. I have some parts already. If you need more sound files PM me. I have on old star Wars screensaver cd with about 6 or 7 sounds on it.

-Eric

45. minifig

@hdtheater - PM sent

I do think that the speakers and little mp3 player set to shuffle is the way i'll probably go!

I am half way through fitting the pistol grip controller into a chopped-up toy stormtrooper blaster!

Minifig

46. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Looks killer, you did a great job of replicating the "costly" on road RC chassis, ive seen many plonked on a basic Tamiya chassis and they look awful, this is a super build, with super photos to show it off!

lee

47. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

And just for grins.... I use a mousedroid ringer for one of the ringtones on my iPhone. Jimmymac, who does our Forcecast.not co-hosting, and is an audio engineer by profession, put the 30 second clip together for me.

http://rebelscum.com/2012/mouse-droid.zip

48. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet! I use the Star Tours Chime.

-Eric

49. minifig

Yeah for me I just wanted to get the aesthetic look of the wheels right, I wasn't too bothered about the authenticity of the 'insides' but its still a tricky thing! the biggest problem I had was to not have any workings visible under the shell, I failed at this a bit, but went for the easier route in order to get the project finished!!!

m

50. Jedi Berdo Bumar

Jedi Berdo Bumar New Member

Looks great! Very good work.