1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hi Gang,

Despite having to redo most, if not all, of the lower panels... all is not lost! I got my hands dirty again with some 3D! Thanks to Maruska for the tip on Fusion 360!

Greeblie 1
20150715_205642_zpsdcdlcybd.jpg

Greeblie 2
20150715_203639_zpsvvlwcl9c.jpg

Mystery Greeblie!
20150715_205624_zps7mglfix4.jpg

More to Follow!

If you could sketch out what you are envisaging as the final exterior look (a side on view, etc), that would help us get an idea of the problem.

Hey W,

So here's what I'm looking at right now...

Issues_zps452arzpn.jpg

As you can see the lower side panels in the red circles will be angled too far toward the center and will more than likely not carry the weight of everything above it. Right now, only the door frame and main canopy arch (and the nuts and bolts) are keeping everything in place and preventing the panels from pushing outward. The further you go into the cockpit the more flex there is and the panels begin to sag down. The "cutoff point" (where I've decided to stop the build) is basically the nav chair platform. This is just below the front window leaving just a tiny bit of lower nose cone exposed - this wont be an issue as everything will bolt directly to the platform. My thought is that a skin frame can bolt directly to either the main platform or the nav chair platforms. BUT...

When I find the "mystery" outer diameter of the canopy arch - which does extend JUST past all the panels above, this will tell me whether or not the skin frame will or will not interfere with the lower panels. As it looks now on paper, everything should be OK... but with all the flexing and warping and good old fashioned gravity... I really have no idea what I'm going to find.

As you can see here... we did skin the cockpit down to the platform. We know the upper and side panels are clear of the future skin frame - note the canopy arch
20140525_211508_zps8e489e52.jpg

Hope that made sense. If you got it... could you explain it to me? ;)

Indeedy, tho I think Ep7 has them in the darker steel tone Humbrol - the paint you buff up.

Think I'm getting the picture on the issue SK, we will have to mull it over.

Very well made replica of the Toro Handle, great find!

Last edited:
Sofa, those two points that you've pointed out on your blue-print, can't you strength them from the inside?... if you have the room at the bottom of the platform of course.

Have this one?
(facebook sw rare vintage photos page)

Hey T,

I have NOT seen that pic - Thanks for posting! I'm seeing a whole lot of details I have not seen before. Dang... back to the laser cuuter... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

On this forum there is no such thing as a silly idea! Love the concept. That would be a heck of tour bus! Love it! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Indeedy, tho I think Ep7 has them in the darker steel tone Humbrol - the paint you buff up.

Think I'm getting the picture on the issue SK, we will have to mull it over.

Very well made replica of the Toro Handle, great find!

It's one of those issues that appears to be a real show stopper! But as I mentioned, I have a few ideas that I think might work. Also, if the canopy and rear arches do in fact clear the panels (as the drawing proves) we're good as gold! I'm going to CNC new arches so they are exactly where they need to be. If all works out then just the nose panels would be addressed.

Fingers crossed!

Sofa, those two points that you've pointed out on your blue-print, can't you strength them from the inside?... if you have the room at the bottom of the platform of course.

Hey Jo,

I have a few ideas. I dont want to extend too far into the cockpit as that would take away room for eventual nav chairs. One of the ideas is creating a cross brace that would also act as part of the new console platform. The brace would essentially act the same way the back wall panels (creating a stable mounting point for the lower body and nose panels) but would be limited to just the platform "front" face and extend up to the shelf.

BUT... if the arches turn out to be ok - then I can leave well enough alone. Although, I do think a brace at the body/nose transition might be a good idea.

Have this one?
(facebook sw rare vintage photos page)

HOLY CR_P! Those silver vertical greeblies on the back wall panel (one near the door padding) are grab handles? WOW!!!!

Also... just noticed a new set of panel lights (new to me) in the lower back wall panel AND unless that image is slightly skewed... it would appear the extension panels are more than 15 inches wide.

UGH :facepalm

Last edited:
:D:eek:popcorn:sick:D:thumbsup So Many emotions hitting me right now, me and my fiancé just went through all 262 pages of this thread, started about 4 days ago. I'm willing to leave her for you Sofa, she completely understands lol. All Joking aside this is so Amazing and Awe-Inspiring, I've never seen such dedication and detail in my entire life. We are now officially Full Scale Falcon Project Fans! I cant wait to see what lies in store for this project, I'm certain whatever it may be it will be Amazing! Cant wait to see where this project goes!!!
Thanks Again SofaKing for this awesome thread, and my the Force be with you!

:D:eek:popcorn:sick:D:thumbsup So Many emotions hitting me right now, me and my fiancé just went through all 262 pages of this thread, started about 4 days ago. I'm willing to leave her for you Sofa, she completely understands lol. All Joking aside this is so Amazing and Awe-Inspiring, I've never seen such dedication and detail in my entire life. We are now officially Full Scale Falcon Project Fans! I cant wait to see what lies in store for this project, I'm certain whatever it may be it will be Amazing! Cant wait to see where this project goes!!!
Thanks Again SofaKing for this awesome thread, and my the Force be with you!

Hi MB,

WOW... LOL Thank you so much for the very kind words and I do apologize for the emotional rollercoaster you've been on. It was never my intention. Well... kinda. ;)

We're just as excited to see where this project takes us and we hope to continue to inspire and entertain as many of you as possible. Our real goal is to reach out and touch as many people as we can so they can experience a little bit of the SW universe and sit behind the wheel of our favorite space hotrod.

Thanks again and as I always say "Stay Tuned" for more!

EDIT! WHOOPS.. I read that wrong. You're leaving her for me? :confused Wait what, huh? LOL

Last edited:
To hang the panel, my go-to is almost always a French Cleat. Nothing better for hanging stuff. I've got 13-foot-long, custom double-layer CD shelf held up by four screws in two french cleats - probably holding a couple hundred pounds. No screws visible from the front, super easy, level, and strong.

Once you wrap your head around which piece goes where, you'll never use anything else.

Here's a page with a good schematic and a video showing how easy they are to make: http://www.generationhbc.com/http:/www.generationhbc.com/helpful-hints/why-i-love-the-french-cleat

Hi BBD,

I just noticed this post - my apologies for not seeing before. If you're refering to the cockpit entrance wall, I think there is enough greeblies, tubes and wires to hide all the mounting points/ Also, exposed bolts in an area as detailed is this would more than likely get lost in all the greeblie goodness.

I'm really leaning toward the simplisitc look of the cockpit corridor I linked above... but who knows where this build will take us. :)

Hi BBD,

I just noticed this post - my apologies for not seeing before. If you're refering to the cockpit entrance wall, I think there is enough greeblies, tubes and wires to hide all the mounting points/ Also, exposed bolts in an area as detailed is this would more than likely get lost in all the greeblie goodness.

I'm really leaning toward the simplisitc look of the cockpit corridor I linked above... but who knows where this build will take us. :)

No worries! I was actually referring to the old panel that's becoming "wall art" - you were working on it and I thought you said something about having to figure out how to hang it.

No worries! I was actually referring to the old panel that's becoming "wall art" - you were working on it and I thought you said something about having to figure out how to hang it.

AH... that's actually a GREAT idea. The instrument panels are going to Stinson. I'll def suggest it to him. They are not light by any means. But there are 3 or 4 more other panels that will DEF benefit from the French Cleat!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back