R2-D2 in Sketchup

SWeet work, how long did you spend on it.

I stumbled upon Sketchup recently, when trying to show the boss a problem with some furniture.
After checking R2 D2 out will have to have another look at it:cool

Very Nice! There's a discussion wondering who generated this on the Yahoo R2-D2 group "r2builders" e-mail list.

Very nicely done. I was taking the pieces apart and measuring them and such, amazing work and very accurate.

Thanks for the kudos everyone. :) i had a blast drawing him. I've posted on the yahoo board re: this now. Had a bit of drama to deal with last week and honestly forgot all about posting it there as intended. Sorry.
it took me about 6 weeks, off and on, and I did it while I was making patterns for some of the styrene parts I needed.

Is this different than the program Sketchup Pro?

I just got Sketchup Pro and haven't seen anything for making hemispheres. Wondering if that's an add on.

Nope. Same program. If you did not buy Sketchup Pro and are using the free download, it will revert to the "Make" version after 8 hours of use I think. Only difference in make and pro version is the additional file importers and exporters and the additional program called "Layout", which allows you to produce professional style blueprint type documents and construction drawings.
As for the hemisphere, Its a combination of the circle and follow me tools. Check out all the tutorials on youtube and be sure to give the extension warehouse a look. Its available inside the program under the window tab I think.

I looked over the extension warehouse.... it's pretty overwelming, especially when you don't know what Pro is already capable of. Like, I saw an extension for Bezier, which looks like you can make all kinds of contoured surfaces. I'm guessing you could do a lot of that in Pro, but maybe not the same way and probably more labor intensive than using the extension.

I have Pro... but I am literally learning as I go. The tutorials for this program seem to be very well done so I'll definitely have to set aside some time to watch them. I tend to be a learn as I go in the practical environment, which means I stumble through it and mess things up before learning the right way.

Last night I imported a flate .PNG image of a gun and was basically building up shapes off the image... kind of tracing it and then pushing/pulling (more like raising/lowering) to give it the depth. It'll take some getting used to and figuring out what's built in to do something I might end up doing the hard way. Like rounding off corners and edges on the whole object instead of doing each surface separately.

Learn as you go is how I did it too. Go buy the Sketchup for dummies book. Best resource out there to learn how all the tools work. I found that SU is by far the easiest 3D program to learn if you have never done anything like it before. Another good video reference series is one done by the "Go-2-School" folks. https://www.sketchupschool.com/sketchup-tutorials.
As for your extension overload condition, you will find that most of them exist because, as you said, it takes way to long to do what they do, manually. There are NO tools in the pro version that do not exist in the free version, so don't worry about that. Only the exporters and Layout are different.
One of the biggest thing it took me to get used to is that fact that this is a surface or "face" based modeler. Everything you draw is composed of flat panels, some very small if you do really curvy things, and some pretty big if you have a lot of large flat area. If you are looking to round off your corners, then the plug in you want is called "corner rounder" I think. It was written by a guy that goes by the name of Thom Thom. Its in the warehouse. Its MUCH easier than using the radius tool and push/ pulling the edge of each intersection you want rounded.

If you want to see all the flat faces I was mentioning, take aloof at he R2 model and click on "show hidden lines" under the edit menu. You'll see that what once looked like a smooth surface, really isn't.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back