Original R2-D2 foot motors from 1977's Star Wars ANH

OpenR2

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The original John Stears' R2 Robot Manual, the fall special edition of Electronics Today, and the December issue of Electronics Today have some of the best shots of the construction of the R2 traction drive system.

Video.jpg

We've been able to identified the original motors used on R2-D2 as Lucas 17W windscreen motors.

Here is a link to an article we put together that shows a bit of history about tracking down the motor and a video disassembling the motor.

Forensic Archaeology - Lucas 17W

Man, I stared at those photos for the B-Boxes for ages when I was creating my "ANH detail sideplates" and never noticed that the side panels on the real droid were rotated, not mirrored.

Oh, well, I like symmetry, my boxes are done, and there's a half-dozen others with my design in the wild now. And I'm definitely going for more of an "idealised" build, as droid builders generally do. Still, a very cool detail to know.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen these photos… the battery boxes are interesting…
Who would have thought that promo photos for the Holiday Special could yield such valuable research? ;)

Man, I stared at those photos for the B-Boxes for ages when I was creating my "ANH detail sideplates" and never noticed that the side panels on the real droid were rotated, not mirrored.
Yes, it’s a detail that’s super hard to spot in virtually all the photos of the original ANH RC R2. We don’t see the robot from the back in a lot of photos, and few actually show the battery box sides.

Plus it’s easy to mentally discount something like this, even unconsciously, unless you’re doing what Robert is doing, and digging down really deep in terms of the original engineering of those droids! :)

we
Who would have thought that promo photos for the Holiday Special could yield such valuable research? ;)

Yes, it’s a detail that’s super hard to spot in virtually all the photos of the original ANH RC R2. We don’t see the robot from the back in a lot of photos, and few actually show the battery box sides.

Plus it’s easy to mentally discount something like this, even unconsciously, unless you’re doing what Robert is doing, and digging down really deep in terms of the original engineering of those droids! :)
Love the holiday special

Still trying to figure out what’s going on with those boxes though…

And these are the only ones done like this?

Still trying to figure out what’s going on with those boxes though…

And these are the only ones done like this?

Going on in what sense?

The ANH RC R2 aluminium foot boxes had hangers, and were thus not attached directly to the feet. The boxes also had large round holes cut into them. These were larger than was needed to accommodate the side of the Lucas motors protruding from them, so a sheet metal plate was installed on each side. The plates were curved over the top and had notches for the motors. (The landspeeder/stunt R2 had solid plates with chamfered lower corners over the boxes) The visible sections of the motors were painted white. And I think Robert/OpenR2 was the first to point out that the cutouts weren’t mirrored but were handed.

The fronts of the boxes had asymmetrical protrusions; the lower one being taller.

The Empire fibreglass boxes lacked the hangers and this altered the shape of the foot and box profiles. They were also smooth sided and had no holes except for the versions designed for Kenny, which had holes for his legs to go into.

I've written up more info here:

Last edited:
Going on in what sense?

The ANH RC R2 aluminium foot boxes had hangers, and were thus not attached directly to the feet. The boxes also had large round holes cut into them. These were larger than was needed to accommodate the side of the Lucas motors protruding from them, so a sheet metal plate was installed on each side. The plates were curved over the top and had notches for the motors. (The landspeeder/stunt R2 had solid plates with chamfered lower corners over the boxes) The visible sections of the motors were painted white. And I think Robert/OpenR2 was the first to point out that the cutouts weren’t mirrored but were handed.

The fronts of the boxes had asymmetrical protrusions; the lower one being taller.

The Empire fibreglass boxes lacked the hangers and this altered the shape of the foot and box profiles. They were also smooth sided and had no holes except for the versions designed for Kenny, which had holes for his legs to go into.

More info:

Thanks for taking the time and explaining, first I’ve ever heard of these plates that expose the motors!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back