Anyone ever make a smoke effect?

Urbanmx

Has anyone made a smoke effect before? Like the smoke coming out of a rocket, I was thinking cotton balls on a wire? Any thoughts or tips?

when i did ww2 re enactments i used to use

sodium chlorate weed killer, sugar, flour, equal amounts and sieve it, and light it with magnesium strip

I think he means for a static model!

I used cotton wool dipped in superglue on a wire the last time I needed a smoke effect.

Cotton works well. You can airbrush some light gray onto it to give it more realism.

I used to make holes in the side of a plane model and string out some cotton from a cotton ball. You can stick it in the hole and it looks pretty good.

What size model is this for?

I saw someone use the expanding foam for rocket exhaust. It looked very cool.

FB

I know I saw some tutorials on YouTube somewhere. Look for how tabletop wargamers make their terrain. I'm sure the fundamentals are the same.

If I find them again I'll let you know.

EL04-wingtrooper.jpg

FB

Try looking through the archives over at StarshipModeler. I can't remember when I saw it or which vehicle it was (I think it was a shuttle) where the model builder used cotton batting stretched out out in a realistic dispersal pattern from the rocket motors. For further realism, he painted the inside of the smoke plume orange and yellow only near the rocket motor, then darkened the outer area of the smoke plume with gray's and blacks. He might have even added LED's inside the rocket motor but I can't remember. I wish I had bookmarked it, the effect was very realistic.

It's for a 1:48 scale A10 plane. I got the kit used, and it has no canopy so I was going to have the pilot ejecting. Just trying to learn some modeling skills.

Do a google search for "Richard Taylor halo Xbox 360".

He did a sweet Halo character shooting at the xbox. The fire out of the gun is a great effect!

FB

use expanding insulation foam from a can, it takes a little practice to get the texture right
(short bursts, building around then upwards to a point) then airbrush white, then yellow highlights finally topping off with some orange

there are examples here:
Toy Traders | Digital Doodles

Try looking through the archives over at StarshipModeler. I can't remember when I saw it or which vehicle it was (I think it was a shuttle) where the model builder used cotton batting stretched out out in a realistic dispersal pattern from the rocket motors. For further realism, he painted the inside of the smoke plume orange and yellow only near the rocket motor, then darkened the outer area of the smoke plume with gray's and blacks. He might have even added LED's inside the rocket motor but I can't remember. I wish I had bookmarked it, the effect was very realistic.

Like this?

Attachments

• img_0.jpg
    img_0.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 580
  • img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 548
  • 74870.jpg
    74870.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 620
  • img_1.jpg
    img_1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,482
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back