How to make Vinyl Masks and PVC type masks?

jokemaestro

Hello there,

I'm new to mask making, and so far I've learned how to use 2 different types of materials for mask making; Polyurethane Resin being one, and Latex being the other. But I've seen masks out there that say they're made of Vinyl and then I've seen others say they're made of soft PVC, like ghostface masks for example since that's a popular one.

So my question is, what is the process to make a Vinyl mask, and what is the process to create a soft PVC mask so that I can more tools to my belt in terms of what materials I can learn to use, what types of molds they work best with, etc.

Any information is appreciated, thank you!

Well, I don't have any first-hand experience -- but I did search on YouTube and I found these …

Custom Made Model Decals, Stencils, & Masks with the Silhouette Cameo Cutter

The Cricut CHANGED MY LIFE - Make your own Paint Masks!

Those seemed helpful. Lots of other videos there as well, but these were among the top of the results I found. I hope it is helpful for you. If you take the plunge, I know I'd love to hear about your experience. This subject is appealing to me. As I say, I've never tried to make vinyl masks, But I am interested -- I do have almost 30 years experience with Adobe Illustrator, which makes this idea pretty enticing.

SSB

Yeah I saw those videos as well but they seem to be about making labels using the cricut. I'm curious about how how they've made masks similar to ghostface masks for example. Theyve been making those for over 30 years without cricuts so theres gotta be an actual method to their madness lol

Mostly injection molded if you're looking to do PVC and Vinyl, which I wouldn't recommend as the fumes from them when heated are quite toxic.

Mostly injection molded if you're looking to do PVC and Vinyl, which I wouldn't recommend as the fumes from them when heated are quite toxic.
Wouldn't it be fine if I have a full fask mask during? Would be interested in knowing if you have any resources to share that would show/explain the process

Injection molding small scale things is possible now but it still needs ventilation equipment. Larger things like facemasks, you're likely gonna need heavier, larger, equipment. Injection molding typically requires metal cut mold patterns that are then pressure filled with molten plastics. As those needs grow larger, commercially available things for safety and production just isn't going to cut it.

I also forgot to mention that PVC and Vinyl can be thermoformed instead of injection molded, but again, the fumes released are incredibly hazardous (the C in PVC is chloride)

You can look into it, there's plenty of things online about it, but trying to do it yourself with something that large (and that's just a face mask) isn't really feasible. Monetarily and safely.

Last edited:
Injection molding small scale things is possible now but it still needs ventilation equipment. Larger things like facemasks, you're likely gonna need heavier, larger, equipment. Injection molding typically requires metal cut mold patterns that are then pressure filled with molten plastics. As those needs grow larger, commercially available things for safety and production just isn't going to cut it.

I also forgot to mention that PVC and Vinyl can be thermoformed instead of injection molded, but again, the fumes released are incredibly hazardous (the C in PVC is chloride)

You can look into it, there's plenty of things online about it, but trying to do it yourself with something that large (and that's just a face mask) isn't really feasible. Monetarily and safely.

Googled "Thermoform" and it looks a lot like vacu-forming but with PVC/Vinyl instead of the usual thin plastic sheets they normally use.

So in reality its better and safer to stick to the most common types of reproduction materials like: latex, sillicone, polyurethane resin, etc ?

Appreciate the responses, you more than likely saved me from poisoning myself attempting to do some of this stuff XD

So in reality its better and safer to stick to the most common types of reproduction materials like: latex, sillicone, polyurethane resin, etc ?

Appreciate the responses, you more than likely saved me from poisoning myself attempting to do some of this stuff XD

For smaller scale things (anything you can do yourself); yes. That doesn't mean that any of what you mentioned is completely safe either. Be sure to always wear protective gear not just for your hands, but eyes, and lungs. Good ventilation is still a must for most applications.

For smaller scale things (anything you can do yourself); yes. That doesn't mean that any of what you mentioned is completely safe either. Be sure to always wear protective gear not just for your hands, but eyes, and lungs. Good ventilation is still a must for most applications.

Good call. Will be using a full face mask and latex gloves for protection during. Anything else safety-wise i should be worried about?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back