NBC's Community

Yea, this season's been more "cute" than "funny". And while I don't mind cute, and still like the show because I have such goodwill toward the characters and the actors, I miss how outright hilarious the show used to be.
I still think it's a good deal better than most comedies on the air right now. Jeff's been having some interesting moments this season, really liked his bits in the Halloween and Thanksgiving episodes, and a weekly dose of Donald Glover as Troy is always welcome.

I'll keep watching, just with tempered expectations. After all, I gotta see the episode I was on. ;)

It's crazy - before the season started I was really wondering if you'd be able to notice his absence, and now it's pretty obvious. The episodes just all seem so "light" for lack of a better term, like a watered down version of what the show used to be... Bummed too...

I've liked this season too. It kind of adds to the hilarity that you're watching Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes in March.

Me too! Love it so far!

Though, just to quote Abed, "I remember when this show used to be about a community college..."

Only becomes an issue if they get renewed. Quality is down, but with Dan Harmon fired, Chevy gone and Ken Jeong doing a pilot the show may be cheap enough to still fill a slot in NBC's schedule.

I keep waiting for a showdown with City College over the whole, "Kevin" thing (which the whole Chang/Kevin thing is getting really old). :behave
Yea, this season's been more "cute" than "funny". And while I don't mind cute, and still like the show because I have such goodwill toward the characters and the actors, I miss how outright hilarious the show used to be.
Agreed. The show was anything but a mainstream sitcom and sadly that is what season 4 has turned into. Where are the "Civil War," "Law and Order" or other style mashups? The over-the-top silliness? That is what made the show to me, that it went places no other comedy ever had. Right now it's like all the other sitcoms out there. It's hard to believe this is the same show that once did a stop-motion animated Christmas episode!
I still think it's a good deal better than most comedies on the air right now. Jeff's been having some interesting moments this season, really liked his bits in the Halloween and Thanksgiving episodes, and a weekly dose of Donald Glover as Troy is always welcome.
There's been very little of the "Troy and Abed" wackiness. I miss that.
After all, I gotta see the episode I was on. ;)
Nobody can blame you there. You have to let us know when you show up and tell us any behind the scenes stuff you can once it's aired!

I actually haven't seen anything funny this season yet. I laughed out loud countless times in the previous seasons but can't recall one really funny moment yet.
It's almost like a soap opera now. The Inspector Spacetime convention episode was funny to me to a degree, but not 'laugh out loud' funny. It was more funny for how it portrayed the fan worship within the hobby. Tricia Helfer was a surprise, but I'm sure she loved the idea of mocking the fandom in general (or revelling in it, I'm not sure which)...

I totally agree with you. It seems that great Tv show that we used to love is gone, we haven't any great episode this season, all of them is average at least....this is sad because I love Community

Last edited:
Nobody can blame you there. You have to let us know when you show up and tell us any behind the scenes stuff you can once it's aired!
For sure! It's the next episode to air, not this week, but the next one. If I can spot my mug, I'll let you know.

I think the most recent episode summs up this season so far; Troy and Abed want to take part in hyjinks, but it seems 'off' and improper to do so. Abed tries to do a movie staple (two dates to the same event and keep both of them ignorant of it, then falls for a thrid girl who helps him out) but feels his heart isn't in it.
It's like they're phoning it in now. Amazing how different the show is...

Fair enough. But you've got to admit: that combination Sadie Hawkins/Sophie B. Hawkins dance sure looks like it must have been a good time. ;)

This was indeed the episode that I worked on. I played one of the Greendale students who attended the double dance. Well, technically I attended the sock hop, and only moved over to the 90s party when Sophie showed up to save the evening and unite the party guests, eventually ending up as her biggest fan.
If you rewatch the episode, I'm the guy in the leather jacket who's as skinny as Abed, as pale as Annie, and with a forehead that's bigger than Jeff's. I also apparently learned to dance from whoever instructed Britta and Troy. This is me up front with the collegiate smarmy facial hair.
FinalFrameSS_zps07b54af7.png

I don't know how clear it came across the way the cafeteria was split down the middle with a yellow boundary, but they show me toeing the line towards Chang's DJ corner in the shot where they establish the space.
EstablishingLineSS_zps1d247e74.png

You can see me loitering behind the Dean when he has his dark little speech about Greendale students being crushed and losing hope in life being worth living.
DeanSpeechSS_zps61b17499.png

And of course, I got ridiculous on the dance floor, behind Abed's quirky manicpixiedreamgirl date. They had us match to a temporary music track that played before each take and be as enthusiastic as possible, but of course they swapped out the music for a completely different song on the final mix that results in whatever discordant nonsense I'm up to in the aired episode.
DanceFloorSS_zpsd14dba0e.png

You can also spot me passing through at various points whenever they needed to keep the frame active with some background crosses. We had a bit with a flask where I was repeatededly spiking the punch and giving people drinks that Joel liked, but I don't know if any of those moments made it into the final edit.
PassingthroughSS_zps706a5274.png

Like I said before, we had tremendous fun shooting the episode. I think we all expected the story to have.a bigger scope; it's tough to get a sense of the arc of the plot when you're only involved in certain scenes and everything's shot out of order over the days you're working. Scheduling was a little hectic with Sophie only being available on one shooting day and the fact that Ken Jeong (Chang/Kevin) was simultaneously in the middle of shooting The Hangover 3.

There's some things that were shot that didn't make it to air, I remember there being more with Donald, including this complicated sequence of him pushing through the "concert" crowd to find and talk to someone. I think there were longer exchanges involving Annie; I remember Allison going off on this improvised rap about British accents in between takes for some scene by the snack tables.

I think one of the reasons I was feeling so hopeful about this season was that you could see the energy and love and talent on display everywhere on set, from the gifted crew, the director and ADs, and the almost mythical charisma and chemistry of the cast. The heart and soul of the show is in the misfit characters and their collective weird energy, and that still exists in the performers who have come to embody their essence. It's just, we've seen what they do when working with scripts that let them fully explore and inhabit and play with that essence for the first few years, and we can tell it's not being showcased or utilized the same way now. That essential Community "thing" is palpable in the room, the way Joel teases Allison or the way Yvette delights in defying expectations by running against the immediate response to her sugary sweet demeanor. Heck, I saw Jim Rash and Danny Pudi get into an interpretive dance battle while we were waiting for a lighting setup to be adjusted. It was incredible.

I ran into Joel McHale at the bank a few weeks later and thanked him for making Community and said how much the show meant to me and other people who are huge fans. He said he's never been a part of something that was so enthusiastically and earnestly loved,and that we were the people that deserve thanks. Whatever they make on the show, they make for us.

Maybe it's sentimental of me, but I feel a bit sad to see how unforgiving many of those same fans seem to be now that this latest bit is underway. This season isn't the show it was, but it's not so bad that it merits scorn or disdain. It's really hard to make a show as amazing as Community, which I think the new season, with all its behind the scenes upheavals, new runners, new network support, but many of the same writers, the same crew, the same cast, is proving. I'm glad they still gave it their all, even if it can't measure up to what it once was.

"Dan Harmon was able to build this in a cave! With a box of SCRAPS!"
"Well, I'm sorry. I'm not Dan Harmon."

Falling short of my hopes? Absolutely, no question.
Being phoned in? No way. Not on that campus.

Last edited:
nice. thanks for the insight man. although i agree this season is falling short of it's usual luster, i still have hope for it.

This is me up front with the collegiate smarmy facial hair.
FinalFrameSS_zps07b54af7.png

PHOTOSHOPPED!!! :)

J/K - I imagine it would be fun to be an extra on that show, and your description pretty much confirmed it (imagine being on one of the paintball episodes!!!).

Maybe it's sentimental of me, but I feel a bit sad to see how unforgiving many of those same fans seem to be now that this latest bit is underway. This season isn't the show it was, but it's not so bad that it merits scorn or disdain. It's really hard to make a show as amazing as Community, which I think the new season, with all its behind the scenes upheavals, new runners, new network support, but many of the same writers, the same crew, the same cast, is proving. I'm glad they still gave it their all, even if it can't measure up to what it once was.

Falling short of my hopes? Absolutely, no question.
Being phoned in? No way. Not on that campus.

You make a very important point here. It's one of my "pet peeves" when anybody says an actor (or anybody for that matter) "phoned it in". It's not only insulting to those that worked on the episode, but to those of us that liked it as well.

I actually liked this episode. Was it the best? No. It also wasn't the worst episode ever either. I REALLY liked Pierce coming to Britta's rescue - not only was it a touching moment for Pierce, but it was good to see Pierce call Jeff out on his crap. I liked Abed's new love interest and how they met - I hope it leads to some emotional growth for Abed.

Also, I thought there were a couple good moments:
- When the Dean went greyscale.
- I also thought the Dean was his usual comical self.
- Pierce/Jeff's line:
Jeff: "Pierce - Madoff cheated hundreds of people out of millions of dollars!"
Pierce: (worried) "Has this been confirmed?"

There are a number of folks (both here and IRL) who are ready to throw in the towel on the series. Personally, I keep in mind two things: (1) It's still WAY better than all those other sitcoms and reality shows out there and (2) when you loose the creative force behind anything, it might take some time to regain it's footing.

- Pierce/Jeff's line:
Jeff: "Pierce - Madoff cheated hundreds of people out of millions of dollars!"

Okay... that was Pierce and Britta...

Anyway... another great line (re-watching the episode).

Jeff: I'm surprised you shared the cafeteria with her.
Dean: I didn't want to, but when she guaranteed me a certain someone was going to be here...
Jeff: I wouldn't get your hopes up for - oh, it's me. <walks away>

nice. thanks for the insight man. although i agree this season is falling short of it's usual luster, i still have hope for it.

Welcome, and thank you! That's a good way to put it.

PHOTOSHOPPED!!! :)

J/K - I imagine it would be fun to be an extra on that show, and your description pretty much confirmed it (imagine being on one of the paintball episodes!!!).
Hahaha, thanks! And yea, that would have been insane. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, there's still paint in many of the nooks and crannies on all the sets. Gives you goosebumps.
You make a very important point here. It's one of my "pet peeves" when anybody says an actor (or anybody for that matter) "phoned it in". It's not only insulting to those that worked on the episode, but to those of us that liked it as well.

I actually liked this episode. Was it the best? No. It also wasn't the worst episode ever either. I REALLY liked Pierce coming to Britta's rescue - not only was it a touching moment for Pierce, but it was good to see Pierce call Jeff out on his crap. I liked Abed's new love interest and how they met - I hope it leads to some emotional growth for Abed.

Also, I thought there were a couple good moments:
- When the Dean went greyscale.
- I also thought the Dean was his usual comical self.
- Pierce/Britta's line:
Britta: "Pierce - Madoff cheated hundreds of people out of millions of dollars!"

There are a number of folks (both here and IRL) who are ready to throw in the towel on the series. Personally, I keep in mind two things: (1) It's still WAY better than all those other sitcoms and reality shows out there and (2) when you loose the creative force behind anything, it might take some time to regain it's footing.

Well said, and you pointed out many of the same things I enjoyed in the episode. That Jeff/ Dean exchange was hilarious on the day as well, those two just have great timing. Jim Rash always had the crew and background performers stifling laughter. He can make anything funny, and it's hard work not cracking up when he's in the room.

The whole cast was great like that. I mean, I knew I'd be a little wide-eyed seeing Allison Brie and Joel McHale in person and Chevy's obviously a comedy legend, but I was surprised by how fascinating and impressive I found everybody to be while they worked. Gillian and Danny especially made tremendous impressions on me.
There was a little moment in the hallway before Abed meets Rachel at the coat check that was cut and I was in the background of, but it was one of the first things we shot. Danny and I entered from the same doorway, me first, then him, so before each take we were waiting next to each other on the other side of the door. He just had the most friendly, magnetic demeanor, and it was amazing to see how socially adept and charming and welcoming he is (obviously one knows Abed is a character he plays that amplifies only certain aspects of his real demeanor, but it's still jarring to see him joking around with the lady from wardrobe that runs in to adjust his hat, and laughing earnestly and being all smooth and cool). Watching him transform and adjust and give his line readings at speed was just really wonderful, and he's the nicest guy and everybody, EVERYBODY adores him.

In the same vein, Gillian Jacobs has within her all the elements of awkward Britta, but radiates this friendly and charismatic energy that would make Britta's life a lot easier.

It was just pretty awesome being there.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back