NBC's Community

I would watch a "Troy and Abed in the MooOoorning" webseries with short joke-a-second episodes. They could interview guests, discuss current affairs. Kind of like Between Two Ferns, but not harsh. Don't think a full length spinoff sitcom thing would be my cup of tea.

Thanks for posting your experiences.
I know you have a different take on the show because you were there and saw what goes into it.
All that said, the energy you speak of isn't getting into the finished product, pure and simple.
It's not the actors, it's the writing. I content that they're the ones 'phoning it in,' and I stand by that line because it applies to a season that has yet to live up to the standard of the seasons before it. The most recent episode has been the best so far, but can anyone honestly say the finished product is anywhere near the level of seasons 1-3?

Thanks for posting your experiences.
I know you have a different take on the show because you were there and saw what goes into it.
All that said, the energy you speak of isn't getting into the finished product, pure and simple.
It's not the actors, it's the writing. I content that they're the ones 'phoning it in,' and I stand by that line because it applies to a season that has yet to live up to the standard of the seasons before it. The most recent episode has been the best so far, but can anyone honestly say the finished product is anywhere near the level of seasons 1-3?

For sure, and you're spot on with that assessment. It IS the writing that has fallen behind in quality (and the timing of the edit as well). But I don't think anyone's phoning it in, because that refers to a lack of effort or general carelessness. Everyone worked extremely hard, at times having to change and alter scripts the day before because they didn't know if Chevy would be available, before he finally up and left near the end, all kinds of stuff. Read some of the interviews with the writers this season, it's not a lackadaisical approach they were taking.

I agree that it's not as good. I don't agree that the writers were phoning in anything. These are the.same writers who wrote the documentary episodes, the bottle episode, Troy's birthday, all sorts of great episodes, but they didn't have their (at times megalomaniacal) captain this round, and new sitcom bosses to answer to. It's very very hard to write for a show like this.

These are the.same writers who wrote the documentary episodes, the bottle episode, Troy's birthday, all sorts of great episodes, but they didn't have their (at times megalomaniacal) captain this round, and new sitcom bosses to answer to.
Just goes to show you can have the same people but with a different person at the head end, you get a different product.
Must be frustrating for everyone to see the show slip like this when it could be so much better and no strong reason is isn't...

I'm a big fan of the show, but besides some really good episodes like the Paintball, Zombie out break, Christmas claymation special, KFC Space ship, dugon dragon, everything else just seemed decent to me. Go back and watch the other seasons and you'll see a lot of them are about the same quality as this season. A lot of hits and misses. When they hit, they hit big. When they don't you still love it for not only the actors but characters.

Anyway, I really liked last weeks episode with Abed doing the two dates at one time gag, and Pierces nice gesture at end. Its a nice breath of air for Pierces unlikableness. I think It just felt right, because he knew what Britta was going through, since he's been through that too.

Anyway, I really liked last weeks episode with Abed doing the two dates at one time gag, and Pierces nice gesture at end. Its a nice breath of air for Pierces unlikableness. I think It just felt right, because he knew what Britta was going through, since he's been through that too.
Yeah, the Abed thing was funny, but even he was admitting he was getting tired of all the TV plot gags he was doing. It was almost like the characters wanted to be what we liked about them from the start but someone, somewhere was keeping it from happening. Odd.
I like the female character, and I would say that would bust up the Troy/Abed nuttiness, but Britta already did that before now. Still, there was something charming about an aloof Abed who could get women if he wanted as they often approached him but somehow it wasn't a priority (sort of like a non-annoying and likeable Sheldon Cooper).
At first I thought Pierce being a nice guy all of a sudden was a huge cop out (and in a way, I still do), and thought such a reversal of the character was a bad thing. But I now see maybe it's good instead, because him being opposed to the group every single time was getting pretty old.
:thumbsup

At first I thought Pierce being a nice guy all of a sudden was a huge cop out (and in a way, I still do), and thought such a reversal of the character was a bad thing. But I now see maybe it's good instead, because him being opposed to the group every single time was getting pretty old.
:thumbsup

Yeah its an easy cop, :D but I think I just like seeing Chevy as an actor, be the hero character again.

This was probably posted already, but I didn't realize at the time of watching it, that Brie Larson (21 Jump street remake, The League) played Rachel as Abed love interest. She will also be back tonight for another episode since its on her IMDB page. I guess we'll find out if she'll become a recurring character, break up with Abed, or they'll do a we still talk about her but the audience doesn't see her thing. I can see Abed making a third wall reference about that.

Last edited:
This was probably posted already, but I didn't realize at the time of watching it, that Brie Larson (21 Jump street remake, The League) played Rachel as Abed love interest. She will also be back tonight for another episode since its on her IMDB page. I guess we'll find out if she'll become a recurring character, break up with Abed, or they'll do a we still talk about her but the audience doesn't see her thing. I can see Abed making a third wall reference about that.
Dude I didn't realize it was Brie Larson until this week either, and I MET her. Aggh. :facepalm

Brie's pretty damn awesome, I hope there's a lot more of her character on the show. People might also know her from the United States of Tara and Scott Pilgrim VS The World, where she played Envy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude I didn't realize it was Brie Larson until this week either, and I MET her. Aggh. :facepalm

Brie's pretty damn awesome, I hope there's a lot more of her character on the show. People might also know her from the United States of Tara and Scott Pilgrim VS The World, where she played Envy.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: Black Sheep - FULL music video - YouTube

She was Evny!? I love that scene and that song! The whole time I was watching that video I kept thinking she was wearing a wig now that I've seen her with differn't hair color / style. Haha you now have a little acting story of the time you met Brie Larson and didn't know it was her. ps I love reading your little journey being on the show.

She was Evny!? I love that scene and that song! The whole time I was watching that video I kept thinking she was wearing a wig now that I've seen her with differn't hair color / style.
Yup. The lady's a chameleon.

Haha you now have a little acting story of the time you met Brie Larson and didn't know it was her. ps I love reading your little journey being on the show.

Hahahaha, thanks! Happy to share. Apparently I've a bad habit of not quite recognizing people in person. I once walked over to ask Aubrey Plaza if anyone had told her she looked a lot like Aubrey Plaza. I realized my idiocy when I was halfway across the room and turned around like I had forgotten something.:rolleyes

I once walked over to ask Aubrey Plaza if anyone had told her she looked a lot like Aubrey Plaza. I realized my idiocy when I was halfway across the room and turned around like I had forgotten something.:rolleyes
I've met plenty of famous people and didn't recognize them at first, not just actors. I literally bumped into R Lee Ermey on the set of one of his History Channel shows and didn't recognize him because of how he was dressed. As soon as he said something, it was obvious. Thank God I didn't say anything to betray that (especially as I there to be on the show, on camera as a 'talking head' expert type on a subject he was covering. He was a really nice guy!)
I also had Apollo 15 astronaut Al Worden sit down right next to me in a theater event once and I first noticed the astronaut pin on his jacket and only then I realized, "Holy crap, I'm sitting next to an astronaut" before I realized who the guy was!
I also literally bumped into Matthew Broderick several years back. Almost knocked the poor guy right over, I never saw him until we impacted and I didn't recognize him until I lended him a hand for him to get off the ground. I'm not a massive person, but he's just that small...

I've met plenty of famous people and didn't recognize them at first, not just actors. I literally bumped into R Lee Ermey on the set of one of his History Channel shows and didn't recognize him because of how he was dressed. As soon as he said something, it was obvious. Thank God I didn't say anything to betray that (especially as I there to be on the show, on camera as a 'talking head' expert type on a subject he was covering. He was a really nice guy!)
I also had Apollo 15 astronaut Al Worden sit down right next to me in a theater event once and I first noticed the astronaut pin on his jacket and only then I realized, "Holy crap, I'm sitting next to an astronaut" before I realized who the guy was!
I also literally bumped into Matthew Broderick several years back. Almost knocked the poor guy right over, I never saw him until we impacted and I didn't recognize him until I lended him a hand for him to get off the ground. I'm not a massive person, but he's just that small...

Hahahahaha, that's Awesome! And really cool that you got interviewed for expertise in a field they were covering. I know a guy who's been brought on as an archery consultant for the History channel a few different times, and he.says it's always a surreal experience.
It's crazy how different your memories of a public figure through photo shoots and films can be from the.actual impression they make in person. I did the same thing with Nathan Fillion once, where I was right next to him and didn't realize until he spoke. Embarrassing in the moment, but kind of reassuring in hindsight. Considering people as people first, and all that.

Last edited:
I gotta admit, I liked the puppet episode last night. That's the kind of stuff I expect from this show!

Yes, they really seemed to find their stride with that one. It was surprisingly moving, and I laughed plenty. THAT'S what Community used to do all the time: surprise me.

I didn't realize that Community Colleges in Colorado (where the show is supposed to take place, although they play very lose with that reality) do have 4-year degrees.
It was surprisingly moving, and I laughed plenty. THAT'S what Community used to do all the time: surprise me.
When I saw the puppets sitting there, I knew this was going to be a return to the show we all know and love.
Even the song they sang before getting into the balloon was very catchy. The puppets were well designed as well (especially the Jeff and Abed ones). They did use these same puppets before in this season, right? Like at the end of an episode? I can't go back and watch the on-demand episodes to check without a fast forward function...

Watching this, I started to wonder how Jim Rash likes playing this outrageous character. He must either love or hate it.

It was embarrassing to watch at work with the looks of others thinking I was watching a childrens show. But, re-watching it at home I got to catch a ton of jokes I missed the first time around. Who was the guy living in the forest? It looked like Jason Alexander but it wasn't him.

Also I the Jeff puppet was pretty glorious.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back