Gandalf the Grey staff (both versions) pic request for a run of staffs

kursosawa

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello to all, I am requesting pics of gandalf the grey's staff. these will be for a small run of resin cast staffs. (i wont be taking orders for at least 4 months on account of my schedule as well as that of my resident sculptor). If you dont feel comfortable posting pics here, please send them to songofchaoszero@msn.com and include RPF somwhere in the subject line. thanks to all!

Last edited:
Re: Gandalf the Grey staff (moria version) pic request for a run of staffs

*bump* no one is willing to share their pics? ive searched the net and sadly, decent pics of this staff few and far between

yep, saved those pics in the other thread. I started this thread so as not to derail Indyfan's thread too far off topic ^_^. Im really looking for pics of the back side of the staff if anyone has them

gandalfstafffg.jpg

RoTN8.jpg

Unfortunately there are no good pictures of the Moria staff (other than screen captures), I don't even remember if it was part of the LOTR museum tour items. Unlike Gandalf's first staff which was definitely part of the tour and therefore has lots of pics available (like the first pic in Beechy McFly's post.

that being the case, i think it might be worth it to sculpt 2 masters, the hobbiton and the moria versions, and which ever one garners more interest, will be made into a run FIRST. make no mistake about it folks, i will be doing a run of BOTH staffs. though they will more than likely be 2 months apart from each other. That being said, images for the first staff are welcome in this thread from here on in.

Would love to see images of the in progress work on this. I've been wanting to make one of these myself but just don't have the funds or talent to sculpt one myself. Nothing I would be happy with.

so i just bought the Fellowship of the ring 4 disc set yesterday...and in the gallery section of one of the bonus discs they have GREAT shots of both versions of gandalfs staff... and a great shot of the crystal with a ruler behind it to give you a size idea...

so can anyone tell me why there are two different staffs in the movie??? did i miss something in the movies or is this something explained in the books??? does he get the moria version from elrond in rivendel????

so can anyone tell me why there are two different staffs in the movie??? did i miss something in the movies or is this something explained in the books??? does he get the moria version from elrond in rivendel????

(spoilers, just in case :rolleyes)
I guess the first version of the staff was taken away from him by Saruman when they had that big fight in Orthanc. I imagine Gandalf just created a new one after he escaped (if he can, in fact, do that. I mean, he is a Wizard :p). Just like in the extended RotK, he got his nice white staff broken by the Witch-King, and yet got a new and identical one by the end of the film.

In the books, however, there is no mention of Gandalf the Grey getting a second staff after his imprisonment in Orthanc, nor does Gandalf the White ever get his staff broken when he encounters the Witch-King.

Strange stuff.

Last edited:
There are actually three versions of the staff. the first one seen in Hobbiton at the beginning of Fellowship, a second, more organing/tree-like staff that was seen only Isengard, lastly, the Moria version which is first seen in Rivendell. It should be noted that the Hobbiton and Isengard staffs are one and the same according to the story, but for some reason 2 props were used. In the book, while in the battle with the Balrog in Moria, there is mention of Gandalf's staff being brocken.

oh...duh! completely FORGOT about sauruman taking the staff and using it against him....oh boy...that means its time to watch it again...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back