Building the Falcon

Still going... only 1/3 of the rear engine deck remains to be weathered on the upper hull. Should have the top wrapped up this week. Until then, I've posted a weathering/streak tutorial for my technique on the blog. Here's a pick of the finished tutorial section:

fm_weather_tut_05.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(QuartZ @ Feb 20 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1422906[/snapback]</div>
Blackbirdcd: are you suggesting that I have brain damage for recognizing and wanting to fix the rather obvious inaccuracies of the FM kit? Because that's how your post reads to me.

We are simply supplying people who read this thread with factual information regarding some of the many areas where the FM kit could be improved. Whether or not you personally feel they matter to you is up to you to decide. Those who do care about the finer points of accuracy may find the information interesting and perhaps...gasp...important.

Also, just because the old MPC kit was horribly inaccurate does not mean that the vastly improved FM kit is without flaws.

-Dana
[/b]

Seems to me that...the FM kit is not a clone of the filming miniature...there for it is literally impossible to be exactly the same.
So what....if your having fun doing it...thats all that matters isnt it? Just makes sence to me.

Awesome work your doing on her. cant wait to see the end product.

Whether or not the FM Facon is 100% or not, this looks like it'll be a fine buildup. The blog, especially the paint tutorial aspect, will prove invaluable when I build my MPC/Ertyl kit (the horror!). If anything can redeem it, it'll be as fine a paint job as is on this bird.

Great job on the buidup, and thanks for documenting your efforts as inspiration for the rest of us.

Oh, I just saw an auction on Ebay claiming this kit is out of production (and unavailable?). Is that true, or is it just some ploy to drive up bids?

That is looking sweet Dana!!!! Excellent job!!!

Dave :)

Whether or not the FM Facon is 100% or not, this looks like it'll be a fine buildup. The blog, especially the paint tutorial aspect, will prove invaluable when I build my MPC/Ertyl kit (the horror!). If anything can redeem it, it'll be as fine a paint job as is on this bird.

Great job on the buidup, and thanks for documenting your efforts as inspiration for the rest of us.

Oh, I just saw an auction on Ebay claiming this kit is out of production (and unavailable?). Is that true, or is it just some ploy to drive up bids?

*Sigh*. . . I just had to look at this thread again. When will I learn.
I got my Falcon down from the shelf yesterday afternoon and reworked some of the weathering on the upper hull. I'm all into it now thanks to these blog entries!! :unsure :lol

fm_hull_progress_14.jpg

I finished the upper hull and sidewalls this weekend (with the exception of the jawbox interior that will get done this week). I've just been so busy working like a lunatic at work that I could not get anything done of the falcon for the past 2 months. It was really refreshing to make progress on the kit since I was thinking about while I was crunching at work (which makes work that much harder..hehe). Enjoy the pic and as always, check out my blog for a few more photos and some details.

-Dana

Thank you for the kind words you guys. I love being able to share the effort with everyone on here so hopeful it's entertaining to follow and has a payoff. I mean some of you have been following this project for over a year now! That's right, this journey was started at the end of May 2006!

PH, that was without a flash, taken on the concrete floor of the garage (my favorite place to photograph the ship because of the neutral tone) I don't use a flash, but I do know what time of day and what place is the best to photograph this model. :) In this case, it's my garage floor, in the shade with the door open, around 9:00 am

I delve into the process of building the replacement dish for the FM falcon kit from scratch in my latest blog update.
fm_dish_assembly_04.jpg

I'm almost done and will get to molding it soon.

New blog update with a bunch of photos of the finished radar dish master all assembled. Go check it out.

Here's a tease:
fm_dish_assembly_06.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back