Sam from Trick 'r Treat

Bigturc

Sr Member
Hey guys,

Well, I figured after 2 consecutive years of Star Wars costumes (Stormtrooper and Biker Scout) I'd be more original .. but yet .. I had no idea what to do. A buddy from work who works on the side for Sideshow as a sculptor showed me the new '09-'10 catalog and I stumbled upon the 12" Sam which I had no idea what it was ..

After some sniffing around the net, I read about the movie .. then did a little search here but didn't find much in term of do it yourself .. so I figured, hey, might as well show my WIP here! Looked for refs yesterday .. and then today, I was off to tissue stores ...

So there you go .. I plan on checking the movie soon .. but it the meantime, here's where I am after a day of shopping to get the material...

Orange/rust polar tissue
Pajama pattern for adult x-large
Tissue for head (no idea how it's called in english)
2 big buttons
Rope for hand stitching on head
Big rope for neck

My WIP will be here...
http://www.pbase.com/bigturc/sam

Here's a compilation of the best refs I found on the net .. I wish I would know how the back is done...
http://www.pbase.com/bigturc/sam_ref

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Hey .. I also need to brainstorm on the head part ..

I figured I'd get a big balloon, cover it with glue and paper to get a shape and apply the head material over it ..

I also thought about doing a metal wire frame .. but I'm not so convinced about this ...

Also, to prevent the head from bubbling around .. perhaps I'll get a construction hat and wire it to the round shape .. what do you think?

Any other ideas?

PS Almost forgot to note .. instead of being 4'2" .. I'm more 6'3" .. that shall be interesting!!:love

Well instead of forming it over something, why not try to create the shape with boning or something along those lines?

I am going to build this costume for my son, who stands at 4' 5" for now. I was planning on making this mask in layers, burlap on the top, buckram (a stiff fabric used in hat making, and something soft on the inside, like cotton flannel or even silk, you just do not want to have burlap rubbing against your face all night trust me. In the layers, you can add in either boning (used in corset making) or wires to help shape the head.

I guess you could also use starch as well to maintain the round shape.

EDIT: Why did I not think of this before... Plastic Canvas can be used to create the round shape and then the burlap can be layered ontop. I know Plastic Canvas can be formed into a round shape since I am currently using a Plastic Canvas "skull" for another costume I am working on. Plus Plastic Canvas is cheap.

Now for the back, I believe you are referring to flap on the rear right? :lol I plan to create a false panel and stitch it in place as one of my last steps in creating the PJ's. I just have to figure out how to make the attached feet and make them durable enough to walk around outside in. I'm hoping that my son gets a couple of wearings out of this costume.

Now I'm trying to find a decent lollipop, hell it can even be made of plastic, for my son to carry around with him.

Last edited:
That's cool, but you can't really see any pictures without registering (which I did).

I wonder if there's a pattern online for the pajamas or mask.

The only patterns for PJ's like this one I ever see are in toddler sizes. I know a company called The Green Pepper used to make an adult size, but not sure if they still offer that patten anymore. At least they no longer offer it on their site. This is a simple item to sew up that you can do it without a pattern. Just get some paper as big as the person who is going to wear the costume and have someone else trace them. One panel of fabric for the front, one panel of fabric for the back. Add on the feet and a zipper/velcro on the back. This costume, after watching the movie again, does not seem to have a front seam down the middle. At least this is how I'll be making my son's costume.

Anyone have luck locating the lollipop however?

Buttons have been done .. I thought about filling the middle holes .. but I'll keep those to fix the button for real .. the outer holes will be used as decoration only for the bigger ropes.

I'll primer them in black tomorrow then mate clear them after

Let me know your thoughts if any!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I got some materials put together for mine last night. Buttons could be trickier than I originally thought though. The feet are something I need to take a closer look at. Patterns cost a lot more than I thought they would, and finding the right size is a real pain.

Yeah, I saw some similar ones yesterday at the fabric store but they were all around 16 bucks.

Kinda sucks, the person that I have do my sewing said she wouldn't do this for me because its for Halloween. She's a pretty strict Jehovah's Witness...ugh No offense to her, but this sucks, lol, she's an expert seamstress!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back