studio-scale ..Enterprise - C *** 5th update page 3 ***

wasili

Sr Member
Hello Folks,

While i'm finishing up the last bits of my tintin moonrocket, i have been working on a nice studio-scale project in my spare time......

The Enterprise - C.

As some of you might know, blueprints of the C were published in a Trek calendar in 2002. These were drawn by Gary Kerr, who has been researching Trek ships for a long time.

I contacted Gary a while ago, and asked his permission to use his blueprints for making a studio scale replica of the C. He kindly agreed, and provided me with a lot of new insights into the original filming miniature, accompanied by new updated blueprints based on tracings of the original filming miniature and spare parts made for production.

The blueprints that were printed in the calendar were but a work-in-progress, but the publisher simply published them. There are a lot of differences from the calendar-blueprints, nearly no part of the calendar is correct, even though they're impressive as is.

The C is an interesting model in that it was build very quick (like most TV miniatures), but compared to other Trek starships, the primary and secondary hull were vacvormed plastic. Not layup fibreglass. Though not visible on screen, the original is very very wonky. The other sad thing is that the model was changed drastically to appear as different starships. All sharp shots of the model (including the Christies auction ones) are therefore not of the C.

I'll be updating the thread as i go along. I'm quite excited as this is my first starship model. I've been upgrading my cnc to machine 3d objects, so the basic shapes will be a product from this process.

One other thing. The idea is to offer a limited number of copies of the C. I haven't decided yet if those will be as build ups, or kits only.

Oh, and it's 41,5" (105cm) long, more than 26" (66cm wide) :)

Let's begin.....

Cheers,

Wasili

the calendar blueprint:
Wasili-GaryKerrEntCblueprint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: studio-scale .. Enterprise - C

The first parts of the nacelle master. Starboard and port nacelles are identical, so only one is made.

Still have to do the inside and center part, and the rear section.

Wasili-EnterpriseC-01.jpg

The start of the secondary hull. I've "glued" blocks of chemiwood/renshape/cibatool together, with pu resin. I'm starting to prefer this method over superglue. It's faster (larger area), more gapfilling, far less smelly, and a hell of a lot more healthy. The block is the basis for the machined hull.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-EnterpriseC-02.jpg

Last edited:
Re: studio-scale ..Enterprise - C

Outstanding project! I'll be watching this and enjoying every bit of it. Love the "C"!

How exatly is the original wonky?

Outstanding project! I'll be watching this and enjoying every bit of it. Love the "C"!

How exatly is the original wonky?

All centerlines are off, and not just a bit. The saucer is hanging to one side, the nacelles are hanging backwards, and both pointing at a different direction. Left/right has some issues too.

The wonky thingies never showed up on screen, and that's what they were made for anyway.

Nonetheless i have to point out that i admire Greg Jein's work a lot, and am amazed at some of the killer deadlines they had for coming up with a filming miniature. Master patterns / castings / armature / electronics / painting, and all in less than a few weeks.

Wasili

Love this ship. Perfect gap-filler between Excelsior and Galaxy.
Watching with interest!

I love the "C"! :cry

Sounds like you've done the research. No need for me to go on whining about the "Zukhov" and other travesties. :lol

Looking forward to seeing more! :thumbsup

k

Looks nice.. thanks for sharing :cool:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:

Ooo, I like the C too, even though I'm not really much of a fan of most Trek ships. Will watch this with much interest!

Thanx guys !!

Next update..

I made the ...uhmm....aft ring of the front bussard collector superstructure, better known as another ring thingie on the nacelle....

Wasili-EnterpriseC-03.jpg

Machining the sec. hull took quite some time. Here's pics of the starboard side.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-EnterpriseC-04.jpg

Wasili-EnterpriseC-05.jpg

Wasili-EnterpriseC-06.jpg

Wasili-EnterpriseC-07.jpg

Re: studio-scale ..Enterprise - C *** 2nd update P.1 ***

If you're going to limit the kits, please put me on the list. I will buy one guaranteed if it turns out as nice it looks like it will. Thanks for doing such a cool ship.

Clay

Wow. Looking great! The C is a really balanced design. Can't wait to see more!

All centerlines are off, and not just a bit. The saucer is hanging to one side, the nacelles are hanging backwards, and both pointing at a different direction. Left/right has some issues too.

The wonky thingies never showed up on screen, and that's what they were made for anyway.

Nonetheless i have to point out that i admire Greg Jein's work a lot, and am amazed at some of the killer deadlines they had for coming up with a filming miniature. Master patterns / castings / armature / electronics / painting, and all in less than a few weeks.

So the wonkiness was built in when it was still new? Not ue to damage or wear over the years?

So the wonkiness was built in when it was still new? Not ue to damage or wear over the years?

It was there already from the start. You can see it clearly in the shots published in "Star Trek Mechanics". They are also online at st-bilder.de, but i noticed they're doing their site maintenance at the moment.

I'm going for non-wonky. For example, the saucer is supposed to sit straight on the neck. Not off by a couple degrees, tipping down at the front and to one side. I think that was a combination of material use, severe lack of time, and other factors. I have not really looked into the armature (or potential lack of it in places) that was build for the C, but that could explain some things.

I realize the exact copying of all the flaws is tempting, and i certainly was at first. But she's gonna be very very close...... :)

Wasili

It was there already from the start. You can see it clearly in the shots published in "Star Trek Mechanics". They are also online at st-bilder.de, but i noticed they're doing their site maintenance at the moment.

I'm going for non-wonky. For example, the saucer is supposed to sit straight on the neck. Not off by a couple degrees, tipping down at the front and to one side. I think that was a combination of material use, severe lack of time, and other factors. I have not really looked into the armature (or potential lack of it in places) that was build for the C, but that could explain some things.

I realize the exact copying of all the flaws is tempting, and i certainly was at first. But she's gonna be very very close...... :)

Wasili

Good approach to your model...

3rd update....

Machined the port sec. hull. All the radii in the neck will be added afterwards, including the transitions from the neck to the body. As with the starboard sec hull, i omitted the recessed area in the neck, and will make it as a seperate part.

Wasili-EnterpriseC-12.jpg

My kid has been helping me out with blueprints as well, as can be seen in the top left corner of the following pic :). Although he prefers the Trek XI E. :confused

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili
Wasili-EnterpriseC-13.jpg

Re: studio-scale ..Enterprise - C *** 3rd update page 2 ***

Looks great!

Can you tell us what harware and software you are using to create these fantastic parts?

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Looks great!

Can you tell us what harware and software you are using to create these fantastic parts?

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Hey Steve,

I do my 2d CAD in AutoCAD, my subsequent 3d modelling in Rhino 3D (importing the 2d plans as a start). I've been using AutoCAD for 17 years now, so i'm way faster doing 2d in AutoCAD than 2d in Rhino, although i'm getting better at it.

Export as .stl.

Import into Deskproto, which is a postprocessor software for calculating G-codes/toolpaths.

Machining with a StepFour Basic 540 cnc-mill, with V4 software (including g-code import plugin).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Wasili

Watching the episode again and looking for the lack of symmetry, it shows up pretty plainly. I've also noticed the E-D suffers from some wonkiness when shown from some angles in some episodes, but it's not as prevalent...

Btw, one other project i did recently with the cnc, was the new masterpatterns for the Firefly - Mal's 47a replica gun. I modelled all the pieces in the same way as the Ent-C pieces, with the big difference that the 47a pieces were machined at a higher resolution and with a smaller dia bit.

[shameless plug] Oh, and i offer cnc services too :cool[/shameless plug]

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-Firefly47apattern-01.jpg

Wasili-Firefly47apattern-02.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back