M-31 Firefox, scale plane replica

Hey there,
I plan to do all the footwork on getting codes so that the colors can be mixed up and this guide will be used to know where to place these various shades. That is the thought process I planned to use on this anyway..think that will work? sure hope so.
Best,
Will

little update.
Finally finished my cad patterns for it and cut the nozzel wrap today...looks pretty wild ehh.

nf1saw.jpg

nf1vlx.jpg

Howdy all,
well i had a chance to work on the Firefox masters today, basically, I grafted a new nose onto the old one. now I'm happy with it. all i need to do now is fair in the shape with evercoat, and she's set. I'll do this tomorrow. Here's a few pics to show progress. I'm still shooting to get this done in the next month.
Best,
Will

seysqp.jpg

seysuh.jpg

seyt1s.jpg

seytt5.jpg

seyvbd.jpg

seyvpj.jpg

Hello all,
Here is a couple more pics with all facets except those to "fill". Now I just need to even up the edges and smooth, then using Evercoats' Featherfill, I'll fair all this evenly into the fuselage on the sides and top. Normally I wouldn't show this step in the build process, but thought everyone might get a kick out of it. One of my biggest pet peeves with the all the Firefox models out there, is the nose. It has never been done to spec. The nose facets and shape contours you see here are correct. to thw 63" "Hero" Firefox or as close as I can get em based on my reference of the filiming miniature. I think you will agree this "looks" correct. Please enjoy the progress pics.
Best,
Will

sgmomf.jpg

sgmr79.jpg

sgmrm8.jpg

sgmquq.jpg

Howdy,
Another little update,
I faired in the facets now she looks sharp, and she is...lol. I gotta watch those edges now. shes looking right though, just a bit of glazing putty should do the trick to get her all finished in the nose area, then on to the rear engine shrouds. Here's a few pics...enjoy.
Best,
Will

sm500l.jpg

sm52rl.jpg

sm50r5.jpg

sm52cg.jpg

sm52eu.jpg

sm52lt.jpg

Niiice.
I agree the most obvious shortcoming in other interpretations of the 31 is the nose - Looks like you've taken care of that.
In other business, seeing as you are so close to finishing these babies up, you now what i'm gonna ask next...

"close to finishing"? Not if I know Will. I've heard that, Perfection takes a life time. The interior, that your using for a place mat in one of your pics, looks unReal. I can't wait to see one of these birds up close & personal, looks like the real deal, Will. Keep her comin'. -m/m

Here's a little more progress on the Masters.
I'm tyring to make sure everything is movie accurate or as close as possible, so I've reworked a few things that weren't quite right.
1. reworked the ventral intakes angle, much better now.
2. reworked the vertical stabilizer master, though I have two, I've decided to make one great master pattern and mold it to ensure it matches
3. cutting off the wing tips and repositioning them and angling them to 20 degrees like the studio drawings illistrate.
4. Turkey feathers for engine nozzels( pic just added of a test of this pattern).

This is hopefully going to Wonderfest...well it will one way or another. I want to bring this and my Krull Glaive replica.
The plane will either a built up kit (my extreme hope) or I'll be taking along the masters to show.
This is being mastered, hopefully hollow cast, and muti-media. It will have possbily, photoetched details, though now I'm leaning toward photoetch parts that I will use to make finished resins of. Little toggles, switches, buttons hopefully will be fully realized.

Anyway, on to the new pics with more coming shortly. I still have a slight mod to do on the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer master. then finish up final details for exterior ie. scribing panels....
Enjoy the pics.
William
Ps. also did a test on a panel scribing technique using Greg Jiens famous tape trick..not too shabby for only 20 minutes start to finish. this is only a test.

szvsxd.jpg

swr90h.jpg

swr9de.jpg

swr9ly.jpg

swrb50.jpg

swrbee.jpg

swrc5h.jpg

sxiyh1.jpg

sxiyx5.jpg

sxj0bc.jpg

sxj585.jpg

symqh0.jpg

symqn6.jpg

Howdy,
I tested the tape trick for doing panel lines again, this time taking a bit more care....guess you can see the difference....first pic shows the tape applied and primered, while the second pic shows end result with a light sanding then buffing as I like to do to get glass smooth surfaces. The shine get's removed before mold of course, then it's a uniform flat finish. note these pics are close up as i wanted to show if infact it would or wouldnt work well what does everyone think? again this is only a test, not my real master pattern. This one is a cast nose of my 1/36 scale studio model buck.
Anyway, Enjoy these pics
Best,
William

t4yds3.jpg

t4ye6b.jpg

The tape trick is that you tape off areas and panel lines. Prime/paint over them. When you remove the tape it leaves indented lines, panels, etc.

Mark

ok got the angle back on the wing tips lessened the width of the fins that separate the tips from the main wing area, not sure what to call them and just finished my new rear defense pod master. There are 6 of these, so I'm going to mold it and cast it for the master. I like it so now it's time for scribe work. this should be fun.

Best,
William

t9y41t.jpg

t9y4jr.jpg

t9y6jd.jpg

Got a little more work done on the masters.
this time, I reworked the wing assembly and the tail drone/chute unit...they are much better now
William

vh9s0y.jpg

vh9my8.jpg

well, worked some more on the plane...now all masks are done as well as the wing tip fences
. These masks, once primered a few coats, will be sanded to relieve the edges of primer , then removed. then new details, same as the blanks show, will be added...though they will then be inset as they should be... starting the panel line drafting now.......soooooo,on to tha pics
Enjoy,
Will

xky4ux.jpg

xky5hj.jpg

xky7a9.jpg

xky7wz.jpg

xkya8x.jpg

xkyb7t.jpg

xkyc01.jpg

You've got talent just bursting from the seams.

It's great to see the progress pics and gives a whole new perspective on the work done to create a custom studio-scale model.

Keep up the good work.

Bruce

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back