M-31 Firefox, scale plane replica

:) Come on, Big Pimp'n, finish that thing........ Looking forward to having one displayed in my bar (called Frank's Place).
A few of my favorite lines from the movie: "This is some machine.", "So fast you can't believe it" and "You know how to make things hard for me Gant, you really, really do.".

:D I know. Just ribbin' you a little. Taking your time always makes it right. Can't wait to see the finished item. Looking great.

just a teeny update.
been working on da nose wasn't happy with it, so remaking it. Straight flat panels are necessary, so this is what i'm doing. I've made flate plate templates that will be used to form the plates from .015 styrene. as this is very thin, I've reinforced the back sides with carbon fiber strip. seems to be the answer to keeping flat straight plates, working quite well. I'll take more pics soon
William

Hi there,
I'm finalizing the nose area, then smoothing to scribe...first finishing up my Krull Glaive to help fund finishing the Firefox.

Many years ago I got to visit Apogee while they were working on the Firefox. They were gluing and rubbing down aliminum foill on it the day I was there.

I've wanted a model of one ever since. If there is a list someplace, please put me on it.

BrianM

Will,
Faboo. I can't wait to see that B A D Bird take wing. Will, did someone on these pages call you a tease? (Too True.)
Show 'em a scan of your 7 ft. Nautilus. That might sooth these savage beasts, untill you get your Mig 31 flyin'. Mikel/Modeleer

Take a look at this. this is how I will achieve the same colors as the ones used in the film. This is only a test , but I believe I have the correct color and detail so far..Enjoy, and yes that is the filming miniature above the drawing...pretty cool huh.
William

kdri8x.jpg

Every time you give us a little bit more it just compounds th excitement. With all the love and attention you've poured into this project, it surely will be the most accurate replica out there. Do I take it that illo is a painting guide of sorts? Hopefully it will accompany the kit when its offered?

Yes, this a painting guide to match the filming "Hero" as close as possible. All views will be done like this to show all the panel variations. I undedrstand that certain paint stores can just scan the photo and get the true paint color..kewl
William

Will,
Regarding photo references for Studio Scale Accurate colors & painting.
(Lest the readers here at RPF interpret a statement at face value)

Yes, some paint stores can match colors in photographs,
Butt (and it's a BIG one) as we discussed,
all the variables need to be taken into account.
Remember how the First thing I had asked you was:
Can you see Any light sources in your reference photos?

Your reply was: YES, both Sunlight through a window and hanging Florescent lights. These 2 light sources Will affect the outcome of any & all colors that gets reproduced using a photo. This in-turn could affect intended Studio Scale Accuracy.

my point is: BEWARE of photo references, regarding Faithful reproductions of colors.

A last note, most film models are painted shades Darker than required because of Over-lighting used in filming. Most display Studio Scale models should be painted a shade or 2 lighter (add white) to represent how they appear on film, unless it is intended to represent the actual "Hero" prop (as is Will's intent).

Mikel / Modeleer

This M-31 model project (and You) ROCK. Keep her Flying. m/m

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back