Sharpening False Blades on Swords?

allosaur176

Sr Member
Hey guys...

I was looking at some of the replica swords I own, mainly LOTR, and I was wondering if anyone had attempted to sharpen them, and If so, what does it cost around and how do they look afterwards??

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure about the quality of the metal in replica swords but they may not be able to hold their edge or possibly ruin the way it looks

Hey guys...

I was looking at some of the replica swords I own, mainly LOTR, and I was wondering if anyone had attempted to sharpen them, and If so, what does it cost around and how do they look afterwards??

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't try it! Most replica swords aren't meant for that.

FB

ah swords, another side interest of mine! Finally the information in my head has some use?!?!

amongst sword enthusiasts, there is a term called 'wall hangers' ie swords meant for display only. Often, looks and low maintenance are the key issues

so, very often dsiplay swords are (1) made of stainless steel - ie does not require regular oiling, but makes getting an edge a real pain. U are likely to also scratch the plain flat shiny 'display' surface of the blade. (2) the tang of the blade is unlikely to be full, or even if its a full-tang, its likely to be insufficiently secured to allow safe swinging anyways.

Furthermore, stainless steel is too hard and brittle to make it an effective functional blade, making it likely to shatter or break if used to hack or slack, adding to the further danger to yourself and others around you.

If its a display sword - u need to ask urself, why are u sharpening it in the
1st place?

If u like fully functional swords, you are likely look for a blade made up of carbon steel. Softer, more flexible. Also holds an edge better. But then, carbon steel is very prone to rust and erosion, even the oils off ur hand from handling can damage it in the long run. It will also require regular oiling.

Bottom line is, you could put an edge to a display sword, but you would likely ruin its look, unlikely to make it functional anyway, and increase its potential dangerousness.

I think there were a set of LOTR swords.... IIRC made by 2nd Generation which were carbon steel and full tanged. Supposedly well made. Esp.ly Frodo's Sting.

Hope that helped.

Nate

But, They say "Cutlery" right on the box :p

Let us not forget 'The Home Shopping Network Tragedy'.
The guy who almost killed himself with a sword that broke, on the air.

..Where's that youtube video?..

Ohhh I wanna see that!!

I do have a couple of the UC swords like Arwen's and Sting that came sharp years ago, and if thay are all made from the same 440 Stainless Steel, I just figured that it was a good possibility that they could all be sharpened

Thanks for the info Nate..... (y)thumbsup

They are pretty much just wall hangers, but ya know, what if Zombies attack, and all that I am near is my replica sword collection?? :lol

heres the link to the video

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/buy-swords-online.html

its on a website to some good sword info as well mate

rofl aye I know - get a few gladius wall hangers; they make good bludgeons, being short, the brittleness of stainless steel doenst matter. Or if u really want to sharpen one up - look up WIndlass Lakonian, beautiful clover leaf design, carbon steel and full-tanged. Unfrotunately, WIndless' QA is not 100% and somethings blade sits a bit loose in the hilt.

http://www.windlass.com/products/greekswords.php

I am sure a nice blacksmith could mod it up to look like a nice Sting!

Nate

Last edited:
btw guys - I am not looking down on wall hangers, heaven knows I have a few myself :D

its just horses for course you know. display versus functional etc.
the link above actually has a nice 'sharpening' tutorial as well as an article on reasonably priced hack and slashers. Love the look of the falcata. But like everything esle in UK, its now banned :(

I am always fearful of zombpocalypse, and a good sharp sword seems just the trick for carving a path towards the pub.

I'm not sure if you could find someone professionally to sharpen a display sword, but you could always give it a go yourself, always a good skill to have and you get a nice whetstone too. Perhaps carry the whetstone around with you as you're hacking and slashing zombies to sharpen it up again once it loses the edge.

Display swords are still fairly pokey though, could poke your way to freedom.

It can be done.

I used to sharpen a whole lot of Marto's back when Highlander The Series first ran and I was working part-time at a high-end knife shop.

As a former bladesmith (and Journeyman member of the American Bladesmiths Society) I can tell you that ANY blade can be sharpened. HOWEVER, as has been said before, will it hold an edge? Will it be able to be swung around, chop hanging watermellons, decapitate zombies... the answer is, probably not safely.

As was mentioned, most display swords are not meant for anything other than display, and can be unsafe to use for much more than that. If it was not SOLD as a funtional sword, it probably isn't. One way to tell is price... that cool looking Samurai sword you paid 25 bucks for at the convention is NOT a funtional sword, no matter what the guy at the booth said. That cool looking Samurai sword you paid 500 bucks for from a bladesmith... yeah, it's real. Unfortunately, a lot of prop swords are really pricey. Basically, if it is a copy of a sword from a movie and it was NOT sold as a functional sword, it is unlikely that it can be safely used as a sword.

And, by the way, stainless steel is very definately used to make real swords --some very fine ones! It depends much more on the type of stainless (440 is VERY common blademaking stainless steel) and the method it was hardened. Most bladesmiths use high-carbon steel, true, but there are those out there who use stainless.

Yes, you can get your blade sharpened, but it is probably NOT a good idea!

If u like fully functional swords, you are likely look for a blade made up of carbon steel. Softer, more flexible. Also holds an edge better. But then, carbon steel is very prone to rust and erosion, even the oils off ur hand from handling can damage it in the long run. It will also require regular oiling.

Nate

I have a Falcata with full tang made out of high carbon steel
http://swordforum.com/swords/historical/falcata.html
It took me about a week of slow careful whestone use to get an edge on that sucker. Nate was right about the rust issue I must have missed a small section when I oiled the blade and a few days later I saw a fine dusting of rust forming. A quick clean off and re oil now my baby is fine.

Thanks for the info Nate..... (y)thumbsup

They are pretty much just wall hangers, but ya know, what if Zombies attack, and all that I am near is my replica sword collection?? :lol

Fear not, true believer, as you can still use them to drive them through the zombie's eye and continue on through the brain incapacitating said ghoul.

Zombie Survival Guide...recognize!

Jarue -I bow to your superior experience. mine is based purely as a amateur with an interest in swords. Do u forge for urself??? that would be a really nice skill to have and also a very impt person to be friends with for the coming Zombi-pocalypse!
Also I know wot u mean abt a nice katana. My wife is half Japanese, and the cost of having one made on request ... well lets just say I dont have one in my collection :D SOme nice forgers in UK though, but we are talking closer to $1000!!

I guess the stainless steel you mentioned is often called the high carbon content stainless steel isnt it? Generally get the idea that metallurgy to a bladesmith is like asking a star wars Fan which TK lid is the nicest :D - every one has an opinion!
But I guess it boils down to wot u are gonna do with the sword and compromises u wish to make with the metal used. Heaven knows, carbon steel isnt perfect either!

my comments were based on :

http://www.realarmorofgod.com/sword-materials.html - which does mention 440 stainless steel

and this one

http://www.swordforum.com/metallurgy/stainlesssuitable.html

Invicta - ooooh nice blade my friend? is that the WIndlass version? was trying to decide between the Windlass version, which was more historical accurate cos of the curve, or the Gen2 version, which was meant to be a better chopper, but had a straighter blader. New law got passed as I was procrastinating! go figure.

but as been said - it CAN be done.

heres a nice beginners guide:
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/sharpen-swords.html

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back