Hoth Rebel Ion Cannon (finished)

el loco

Hey Guys,
a few Weeks ago i asked for some Referencepics of the ILM-Model, the result was not very satisfactory.
That Photo in the "Sculpting a Galaxy" Book and a Shot on that Lucasfilm-Archives Page are the most helpful.

I'm not sure if it's the exact Studio Scale, my guess is that the Size of that ball is about 8 Inch (20 cm), another Member here supported that (thanks ralphee !)

I wonder if anyone here ever building a Ion Cannon or plan it !

However, here are some Pics my build-up so far.

Thanks
Andre

1000897kr3.jpg

1000899md7.jpg

1000916gv3.jpg

1000917uz7.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Hoth Rebel Ion Cannon

Finally! Someone has taken the initiative to build this - bravo, it looks really really nice so far! And CLEAN. Not too many people value a clean build. Bravo!

looks great......what did you use to make the laser and and what did you use for the ball?

Great job Andre!
5 years ago I had built a smaller 4" diameter scale version but I never got around to finishing it for a project I had going. You've just inspired me to finally get back to it.

I can't wait to see your completed version.

Very nice. You did an amazing job forming the hull plating around the ball, that's not an easy thing to do. It looks flawless.

Andre

Dude you seriously rock lol, another little grail piece from TESB!
I have to say, thats looking amazing, and i agree with J and Rich, so darn neat.
I think you have even captured the look of the barrel spot on too!
I was looking at this on my Cell last night at work, and thought, how cool would a servo linked up to a controller board be for that barrel?
An RC car damper thrwon in the mix would even give you a damped recoil, but i do have crazy ideas lol.
Keep it coming Andre, after seeing your Red 2, im always eager to see more!

bests.....lee

I agree, those panel look fantastic. Care to share what you used for those and how you shaped them?

Looks like he vacc-formed a transparent plastic shell around part of the sphere, roughcut the panels to shape, taped them to the sphere, then used his pencil markings on the sphere as guides for fine cutting the panels. A clever solution.

SWEET! One of these days I am going to have to figure out how to vac-form stuff at home cheaply! It looks REALLY nice!

Jedi Dade

Thank you Guys :redface

The ball itself came from a Hobby-Shop, i think you can find it also in Decoration- or Floristshops.

Good eye Ivanhotep, but i don't really vacc-formed the Parts for the Armor, i cut out big Strips, melted it with a Heatgun and pull it over the ball with both hands.

Hey Lee, believe it or not, i also had that crazy idea to put a motor or something in it as a recoiling system :lol
That Scene in ESB is short but soooooo impressive !
Unfortunately i'm not a fan of functions or lights in models.

Next Step is the detailing on the Armor and the barrel.

Thanks
Andre

Andre

Yeah i think a motor would be too cool, but im not a fan of lights and gizmos TBH, well in some builds it works, but you kinda peak when youve turned them on a few times lol.
Nice idea though buddy, id love to see tht barrel recoil lol.
Not jumping the gun or anything, but what else do you have in the pipeline ESB wise, im already a big fan LOL.

lee

Any update on this? How is this coming along? From the progress so far, I am just very impressed.

-Bryan

Any update on this? How is this coming along? From the progress so far, I am just very impressed.

-Bryan
I'm curious too. I don't mean to derail the OP's thread but here's one that I did years ago but never got around to finishing it.

hoth_cannon.jpg

Just a plastic 4" sphere and heated styrene sheets mashed against the surface.

Very nice start on that Ion canon!!

I'm very interested on getting one of those, I dig that ball and it would look awesome beside my Snowspeeder!!! Can anyone PM me if there's a run going or any info on kits already available or for sale? Thanks guys!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back