Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I'm thinking that maybe Dr. Evazan and Ponda Boba (you just watch yourself!) Are like the Forest Gump of the SW universe. They just happen to be there when historic events are going down.

Maybe they will become a running gag in these new anthology films? LOL. They can add "I have the death sentence in x+1 systems) in each apperance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
... or Leonard Zelig.

I have yet to read Catalyst and I never once felt lost or uninformed while watching this movie.

Well and that's the thing, like I've said from the beginning. You DON'T HAVE TO READ CATALYST to enjoy Rogue One. But what Catalyst does do for Rogue One is: A) Gives you a deeper background of Krennick and the Erso's relationship. How Krennick felt Lyra was always in the way or too much of a conscience for Galen who really was blind to what Krennick was having him working on. Galen thought Krennick had him working on his renewable power source for energy, where Krennick was actually taking Galen's research and weaponizing it for use on the Death Star. B) It helps tie in the PT by having the Geonosians working as a labor force on the Death Star and how Palpatine got the Senate to go along with the construction by saying that they stole the plans from the Sepratists and that the Seps were already building their own (which I think becomes the Death Star 2 from ROTJ) C) Catalyst also helps explain the relationship between Krennick and Tarkin and how Krennick kept trying to weasel more rank and a higher status, "Because he was he one that got Galen to work on it, and he was the only one who could keep Galen working on it." D) It gives you more of a background on Saw's relationship with the Erso's and how he smuggled them off Coruscant and helped get them into hiding. Which is why when Krennick shows up at the beginning of RO, Lyra calls Saw right away, and Saw is the one to find Jyn and basically raise her until she was 16 and he didn't want her getting killed as the rebellion really picked up steam. E) Most importantly though is you find out a lot about the Kyber Crystals and what role they play in the Death Star, and at one point in the book Krennick brings the Erso's a briefcase full of little Kyber Crystals and Lyra whispers to Galen that those crystals are all from fallen Jedi's Lightsabers, and that moment in the story, it really kind of gets you emotionally, the thought of all those Jedi being slaughtered and their lightsabers being looted.

So no, Catalyst isn't REQUIRED reading, but it does help fill in a lot of backstory where you're watching the movie and go "oh yeah, that makes sense."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind one bit that there is some good non movie media that is giving us more background on events in the SW universe. (This is not addressed to anybody just a general observation)

Got to see it last night, LOVED it! Not going to do a review, pretty much all has been said (so please, after 24 pages we don't need your review either).

Oh, go to hell, Laspector.

Guys and girls, don't listen to him. Keep your reviews coming! Even if many of your thoughts on the film have been posted by other members here, so what? Everyone's review is unique, and I know I'm not the only one who enjoys reading them.

I'll be posting mine after I've seen it a second time, sometime in the next couple weeks. I saw it opening day, but I'd like to see it once more to clarify my thoughts on a couple of things, before sitting down to write my review.

A lot of members are busy and haven't even seen it yet, or have seen it but (like me) want to see it again before reviewing, or have seen it but haven't had time to post their reviews--so to suggest no one else should post a review, a mere 5 days after the film hit theaters, is asinine.

The Wook

Well instead of being this scout commando you want it to be . the explanation could supposed to be the soldier captured a regular scout trooper helmet and painted it black so in battle his team mates might not believe he is the enemy and kill him.
Long with a point .
There repainting a helmet or droid every other episode on rebels so its plausible

I understand this doesn't help you get a scout commando suit or helmet replica to wear and apologize for that .

I didn't think it was a scout commando. Where did I say that it was a scout commando?

I just thought it was just a merc with a stolen helmet. But I wanted to know more about the character.

This guy pretty on point with how I feel...

http://scriptshadow.net/film-review-rogue-one/

AND he pointed out the one thing that was missing that I couldn't put my finger on... an expectation I had for the movie that didn't happen.

When the trailer hit with Jyn in what I thought was tie fighter gear, I figured they were IN the Death Star... that Jyn and them smuggled aboard... that she may escape ON a Tie Fighter, or they stole the one that appeared in the other trailer, got that pilots flight suit and flew THAT to the Death Star.

It occurred to me this morning, that would be a GREAT idea for a "Rogue Two" movie a couple of years away.

Bring Gareth back to do it and tell the story of how the Bothans stole the info for the second Death Star.

It occurred to me this morning, that would be a GREAT idea for a "Rogue Two" movie a couple of years away.

Bring Gareth back to do it and tell the story of how the Bothans stole the info for the second Death Star.

I've heard that before... but then I've also heard if you look up what a Bothan looks like you won't want to see that movie!

Of course I've never looked it up... and it may not be cannon anymore anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out I agree with these guys 100%...

Not suprised. I think I have the exact same tastes in movies as Mike... except I'm not into Star Trek.

The first few minutes of this are hilarious by the way.... When they start listing off what's awesome. ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaaaaanyway...

In regards to the CGI Tarkin:

Tarkin was an integral part of ANH. If they avoided having him in Rogue One entirely simply because Peter Cushing was dead, I'd be wondering exactly where he was, especially considering where the movie left off. It was important to establish him on the Death Star because he was on it the entire time in ANH. They needed him to set up his own petard so he could later be hoisted from it.

The most important thing about his appearance wasn't that he was there. It was that his appearance was extremely well done and HONORED his appearance in ANH.

The same establishing shots could also be deemed appropriate for Leia, Red Leader, and Gold Leader. They needed to be established as part of the Rebel Alliance so their later appearances could be justified.

The only difference between them and Tarkin is that two of them involved reused footage and the third was a digital recreation of a younger version of a living person.

Despite all my complaints on Rogue One, I found Tarkin GREAT.

When he first turned I think I had a minor brain spasm... I got punched with uncanny valley, but it quickly subsided and I was fully on board.

Tarkin may be the one thing I thought was great... I'm looking forward to seeing him in 2D to see if the lack of 3D dimness and perspective will make it better or worse.

Rogue One ending edited into ANH beginning. Wow, just wow.

https://vimeo.com/196357074

After watching that video I found two new things for the haters to complain about.

One: Where was that silverish looking 3PO unit in R1, we never saw it anywhere in the film. Shouldn't we have seen it on Yavin 4 hanging out with 3PO & R2?

Two: We never saw that old(er) Rebel trooper in R1 either, the only one that gets a close up in the boarding sequence. That's clearly another continuity fail. :D

15542246_10154276705404366_1565266159908451330_n.png

Just the thought of Jyn's small arc throughout the film - from when she was a child to her end on a beach staring at the approaching fires of the Death Star, never being heralded, perhaps never even recognized, by the rebellion but with her faith restored in her father and in the embrace of a comrade, I still get choked up. That scene makes the film for me.

Jyn just might have become my favorite hero of the franchise.

Are you kidding me? She stares blankly at the screen almost every time she is on it! I just dont get it. Enough to get choked up? Wow. I dont even know what to say.

I've been thinking now how so many people sacrificed to stop Vader, and kept him failing actually, yes good is stronger, Yoda was right, it just sometimes
takes a lot of good guys. Another thought is it's surprising really he was still
in tight with the Emperor after the Death Star's destruction. He failed over and over to get the plans, Tarkin was convinced he had it in the bag, he did not. He failed to defend the Death Star personally. Why was he so coddled by the Emperor"? LOL Even in ESB he was blowing it again and again. Can't catch the Falcon, can't capture Luke.
Hell Luke TURNS HIMSELF IN in ROTJ. I can see why the Robot Chicken version of the Emperor has such a poor opinion of him. LOL

Are you kidding me? She stares blankly at the screen almost every time she is on it! I just dont get it. Enough to get choked up? Wow. I dont even know what to say.

IMO her face shows a lot of emotion even when she is not speaking. There were quite a few times you could tell she was emotional by her eyes and the way her mouth and cheeks moved.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking now how so many people sacrificed to stop Vader, and kept him failing actually, yes good is stronger, Yoda was right, it just sometimes
takes a lot of good guys. Another thought is it's surprising really he was still
in tight with the Emperor after the Death Star's destruction. He failed over and over to get the plans, Tarkin was convinced he had it in the bag, he did not. He failed to defend the Death Star personally. Why was he so coddled by the Emperor"? LOL Even in ESB he was blowing it again and again. Can't catch the Falcon, can't capture Luke.
Hell Luke TURNS HIMSELF IN in ROTJ. I can see why the Robot Chicken version of the Emperor has such a poor opinion of him. LOL

You were probably kidding and probably off topic but the movies don't show the 15 years of him kicking everyone's arse after the clone wars and subjugating all those systems. If he beat theis group of rebels down we would not have the stories :)

(Check out the new canon Vader comics if you want to see how bad arse he si!)

Last edited:

I know you missed the TFA thread where a small handful of people refused to give up pointing out why anyone who has a positive comment were crazy but you are becoming that guy. :) You shared your thoughts, which is cool, but now you feel like you need to reply to people and convince them they are wrong.

FYI, a page in the VD notes that Vader's castle is on Mustafar by the Emperor's design. SO you could call it punishment... like putting him in a mask. Kind of makes more sense why those Royal Guards were there. They werent guarding the door, so that's not why. Maybe they are there to remind Vader that Palpy is watching, or to make sure he stays put.

Or they're just there to help him get dressed :lol

IMO her face shows a lot of emotion even when she is not speaking. There were quite a few times you could tell she was emotional by her eyes and the way her mouth and cheeks moved. (Facial features showing emotion is quite typical in movies)

- - - Updated - - -

You were probably kidding and probably off topic but the movies don't show the 15 years of him kicking everyone's arse after the clone wars and subjugating all those systems. If he beat theis group of rebels down we would not have the stories :)

(Check out the new canon Vader comics if you want to see how bad arse he si!)

Yeah I'm having a little fun with it, but I guess the Emperor was hot and bothered to replace him with Luke in ROTJ, might be a reason why.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back