Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I did not read Catalyst (mostly because I dislike Chuck Wendig’s writing, and it irks me that he’s been handed most of the books surrounding the new movies so far), and I didn’t feel that we needed any more backstory for Jyn and her parents.
Over the course of the movie, we got what we needed out of that:

• Galen was an Imperial officer.
  • Galen left/retired, likely at the urging of his wife.
  • Krennick blamed for the loss of a valuable asset (hence why he was so “pleased” to see Lyra alive).
If they’d tried to shoehorn in much more than they did, it would have bogged down the story.

Galen was never an imperial officer.
In Catalyst (which takes place during and after the Clone Wars) he's a civilian scientist (crystallography) working on renewable energy. The planet their (republic) facility is located on falls to the Separatists and he gets imprisoned.

Meanwhile, Sidious/Chancelor Palpatine convinces a secret committee of republican experts that the DS plans, which have fallen into their hands, indicate that the Separatists are building that thing, and that the Republic needs to engage in an arms race with them. The only thing missing from the plans is a suitable weapon system.

Krennic, from the "Corps of Engineers" thinks of his "college friend" Galen Erso, and manages to break him out of capture. Knowing the Ersos are pacifists (even during the Clone Wars they didn't help either side) he spins a web of lies around Galen and makes him work for a "civilian" project involving Kyber crystals. It's about renewable energies.
Meanwhile, you learn a lot about the construction of the DS near Geonosis, the Geonosian involvement and how the Empire stripmines entire planets for ressources.

Saw Gerrera makes an appearance as well and it's him who smuggles the Ersos out of Coruscant once they discover Krennic has been weaponizing Galen's research in secret.

All things told, I consider Catalyst one if the better books from the franchise, as it bridges the PT, the cartoons and the OT pretty well. It's not "reqired reading" for Rogue One, but highly recommended.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thank you for the explanation. Short, but pointless.

Well instead of being this scout commando you want it to be . the explanation could supposed to be the soldier captured a regular scout trooper helmet and painted it black so in battle his team mates might not believe he is the enemy and kill him.
Long with a point .
There repainting a helmet or droid every other episode on rebels so its plausible

I understand this doesn't help you get a scout commando suit or helmet replica to wear and apologize for that .

Last edited:
Reading through the comments I am surprised by some that suggest Vader appears too strong and powerful at the end !!!!??????
I'd suggest watching the openning of ANH again where Vader happily dangles a hapless Rebel six inches from the floor by his neck with one arm for a while, before playfully crushing his wind pipe with his finger tips and then forcefully chucks him against the wall. In the fight with Obi wan it looks like he is playing with him for a while, trying to judge how strong or weak with the Force Obiwan has become. He didn't hesitate to cut him in half the moment the opportunity presented itself though did he!

I think someone in this thread was asking about the Geonosis - spoiler about them from the Rogue One visual dictionary

Confirmed the planet was sterilized and the population killed to keep the DS a secret

If the Empire could do that, they had de facto planet killing tech already. Why a DS? Just d!ck swinging?

If the Empire could do that, they had de facto planet killing tech already. Why a DS? Just d!ck swinging?
It could possibly be a variant of the bio-weapon engineered to wipe out the Clone Soldiers , which is why the Empire eventually has all Stormtroopers.
Or it most likely is the fact that the Genosians ,as hive dwellers, were simply easier to kill off like bee colonies are, either through bombardment or poisonous substances. As the workers are drones, once the leadership ie the Queen is killed off the colony collapses. I'll give Catalyst this is,it did really successfully fill in some of what happens in the period before R1.

Both of his legs are mechanical.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, maybe I'll give it a read when the price comes down a little. The point stands, however: You don't HAVE to have read the book to get what you need out of the little bit of backstory that was shown. :)

Catalyst is far from required reading but what it really informs is the history between these two men and more so in the animosity Krennic feels towards Lyra. It really makes their inititial confrontation in R1 where Krennic says Lyra has always been a problem have a lot of meaning.

- - - Updated - - -

I think someone in this thread was asking about the Geonosis - spoiler about them from the Rogue One visual dictionary

Confirmed the planet was sterilized and the population killed to keep the DS a secret

This was actually heavily teased in an episode of Rebels. And a new episode upcoming fearuring Saw is called "Ghost of Geonosis" so it sounds like we will learn the whole story.

Last edited:
Just seen it a second time. Both me and my son loved it even more this time. The small flaws don't really bother anymore. Thanks to Gareth for taking us back to the ANH era. It's a place I've long missed. My son who is 9 already wants to go again. We saw EPVII 5 times together. Great father and son bonding. I'm so glad he's like me. I tell you,taking kids to these movies really helps you appreciate them a whole lot more. Oh and they played the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailer and we both grinned from ear to ear. Great time to be a father. :)

Ben

Got to see it last night, LOVED it! Not going to do a review, pretty much all has been said (so please, after 24 pages we don't need your review either).

Favorite call-back was the Stormtrooper saying the old BT-15 was finally being replaced. THAT was a pretty obscure one, there. Who else caught that one?

Got to see it last night, LOVED it! Not going to do a review, pretty much all has been said (so please, after 24 pages we don't need your review either).

Favorite call-back was the Stormtrooper saying the old BT-15 was finally being replaced. THAT was a pretty obscure one, there. Who else caught that one?

My wife who is not that tuned into this stuff looked at me because we always made fun of "stormtrooper small talk".

I caught that on the beach. ANH they talked about the BT-16's which made the BT-15 line funnier.

Just the thought of Jyn's small arc throughout the film - from when she was a child to her end on a beach staring at the approaching fires of the Death Star, never being heralded, perhaps never even recognized, by the rebellion but with her faith restored in her father and in the embrace of a comrade, I still get choked up. That scene makes the film for me.

Jyn just might have become my favorite hero of the franchise.

I'm thinking that maybe Dr. Evazan and Ponda Boba (you just watch yourself!) Are like the Forest Gump of the SW universe. They just happen to be there when historic events are going down.

Maybe they will become a running gag in these new anthology films? LOL. They can add "I have the death sentence in x+1 systems) in each apperance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back