Neca Power Loader Modification (Complete!)

armamentfactory

Sr Member
Hi everybody,

I managed to get a hold of one of these, and thought it could use some "accurize-ing". Still trying to track down a correct version of Ripley to go with it.

IMG_7475_zpsddaynh0r.jpg

IMG_7476_zps3gb4j0ik.jpg

While it does a good job at being a Power Loader figure, it's got it's share of short-cuts, incorrect assembly & general inaccuracies.
The plan is to correct most of the errors without going into too much surgery - I want it to retain it's play-value.

These are most of the areas that will get the treatment.

Those hydraulic lines are a mess! Good excuse to pop in the DVD for piping reference.
IMG_7477_zpsnnc6bbst.jpg

The roll cage is the wrong shape & is protruding too far forward, plus the unsightly fabric net. (everything behind it too, but that's another story)
IMG_7492_zpsahwyylf1.jpg

IMG_7494_zpscqajvvej.jpg

The forearms were designed to be interchangeable for the left & right, so they have the keypad detail on both sides. The claws will need filling-in.
The control sticks are sculpted in an awkward shape - there's no way the figure can grab them.
IMG_7489_zpsl6bifdm6.jpg

IMG_7484_zpsg8p81x2o.jpg

The ankle pistons are facing the wrong way & don't have any pipes.
IMG_7485_zpsgccj1lv7.jpg

The hips are too far apart - not sure how I'll approach this area without compromising the structural integrity...
Also, deformation on the plastic.
IMG_7483_zpsrkmwhayk.jpg

Stage 1 is pretty much ripping things apart & test fitting stuff.

Replaced the net with a proper wire mesh for now. I'll do the cutting & reshaping after I do the math.
IMG_7497_zpsrybfebky.jpg

And cleaned up the hydraulic lines. A couple of lines are too short though, I'll have to replace all the tubes!
There's a pair of looped pipes on Loader 4, I think I have an idea how they fit, but the existing tubes are too short to confirm it (for now).
IMG_7499_zpsuqt3qvfc.jpg

Pretty much every Power Loader figure gets this part wrong - the tubes for the forearms are supposed to go over the shoulder joint.
IMG_7498_zpsde63psxz.jpg

So far so good, I still have a few more things to take apart.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Neca Power Loader Modification

The Roll cage sides on the original appear to be not parallel.
They look wider at the bottom...

powerloader.JPG

Sorry about the image quality

Jim

Subscribed ;)

Awesome! Thanks!

The Roll cage sides on the original appear to be not parallel.
They look wider at the bottom...

View attachment 664446

Sorry about the image quality

Jim

Yup, it's more prominent on the screen-used props & models.
The fixed cage has an angle at the bottom half now, but I think the figure's main body is wider than it should be, so the result is pretty subtle.

Thanks for the pic! more reference material is always useful, no matter the quality. :D

IIRC, Jason Eaton (MoffEaton) painted the prototype for NECA; he may be able to point you to other good reference photos.

Attached are some more I found online.

Attachments

• Cameron_loader.jpg
    Cameron_loader.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 338
  • powerloaderfull.jpg
    powerloaderfull.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 352
  • 1175594_641597045873632_1724604761_n.jpg
    1175594_641597045873632_1724604761_n.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 356

IIRC, Jason Eaton (MoffEaton) painted the prototype for NECA; he may be able to point you to other good reference photos.

Attached are some more I found online.

Cool, thanks! I believe these are the more accessible pics online, kinda wish the sets weren't so dark when they shot them.

Since you have it apart are you going to mod the light on top?

Yup, the plan was supposed to be a simple insert for the bulb & reflector. Then possibly installing an LED instead.
I'm not really sure how to make it light up and have the reflector spin.

We're back!

Here's what it looks like so far...
DSCI0069_LO_zpsgsff7ojv.jpg

DSCI0075_LO_zpsb3qhu3xb.jpg

DSCI0070_LO_zpsac3zqsqz.jpg

Just printed a pair of "rubber jacket thingies" for the shoulder actuators.
DSCI0061_LO_zpsjkerwjdu.jpg

Also got new control sticks printed, with the correct number of cables.
DSCI0064_LO_zpsfvs8bv7l.jpg

DSCI0077_LO_zpsi1lagjjz.jpg

Chopped & added wire to the antennas.
DSCI0065_LO_zpsj7bubilr.jpg

DSCI0067_LO_zpsw9n8mrl2.jpg

...then used the cut off bits to correct the pipe fittings on the elbow actuators.
DSCI0062_LO_zpszrareqpl.jpg

DSCI0066_LO_zpsx8hbi1ym.jpg

Corrected hydraulic line placement for the wrists/forearms.
DSCI0072_LO_zpsskkmf9p5.jpg

DSCI0074_LO_zps2hfpsgpb.jpg

...and here are the rest of the hydraulic lines.
DSCI0078_LO_zpszi9clcul.jpg

Awesome! I did not know that there are so many issues with it. So far NECA was known to have a knack for accuracy. :)

Awesome! I did not know that there are so many issues with it. So far NECA was known to have a knack for accuracy. :)

Thanks! I suppose most of the inaccuracies were from budget or manufacturing restrictions, but I don't understand how they got the shape of the control sticks so wrong.

Great upgrades! I have this set I just shortened the antennas and cleaned up the sloppy weathering job, makes a nice display piece in my small Aliens collection section.

Great upgrades! I have this set I just shortened the antennas and cleaned up the sloppy weathering job, makes a nice display piece in my small Aliens collection section.
Thanks! Yeah, the weathering definitely needs improvement - my copy has silver paint on the roll cage's "foam" padding! It's definitely the best Loader for its scale, even with the occasional inaccuracies.

Got screenshots of the 3D printables.

Control sticks & rubber jackets. This was an older screen grab - I had to cut down the grips a bit, still need to do the same for the 3D file.
P5000_STL_zpsg1qmn0zn.jpg

Claw fillers.
P5000_STL_2_zps3vgz9sry.jpg

Still waiting for the claw filler parts to get back from the printer.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back