New Revell Imperial Star Destroyer kit?

C'mon... I have a lot of fond memories of the old SD. Like the old Falcon a LOT of us cut our scratch building and lighting teeth on those guys. Carefully built and painted it looks "decent" from a distance :D

Jedi Dade

I spent about two years rebuilding mine- replaced the sidewalls, bridge, superstructure, ventral landing bays... About the only original parts left wer the main hulls and superstructure 'roofs'. Sadly that build up was loaned to a friend and destroyed.

To be honest, that Ertl was a bit better than the TOS-Galactica pool toy from that same era, but they didn't even try to make the parts right. If they had just invested some effort in the masters they could have produced a nice kit with exactly the same number of parts, but their idea of detail was to put some raised lines on a flat surface...

I was railing against Revell 10 years ago when all the Dragons, Trumpeters, and Accurate Miniatures suddenly disappeared from Hobby Lobby's shelves, replaced almost exclusively with ****TY Revell kits.
The last Revell I bought was a 1:32 F4-U Corsair, about 17 years ago, that went in the garbage before it was half finished.
Ask me about the amazingly detailed cockpit. Go ahead... ASK ME! :darnkids
I swore to myself then that I'd never buy another Revell as long as I lived.

Then comes news that Revell bought the Millennium Falcon from Fine Molds.
I thought "Great! Now I can finally afford an FM Falcon!"
What does Revell do? They decide to charge the same damn price FM was charging! WTH, Revell???
That was the last straw for me.
To see them now marketing toys as models doesn't come as any surprise to me.
Revell is the Budweiser of model kit manufacturers. They're hacks. I hate them.
It's nice to know that my seething RAGE for this utterly USELESS business is in good company here. :)

I can't tell when some of you "guys" are being serious or not...'rage' and 'hate' would be wasted energy if you truly feel that way, Axlotl - though I can relate. Revell & I have a long history of disappointment! And mostly with their "marketing" practices.

I must note that the 1:32 scale kit you purchased was "cut" a *long* time ago. If it was of recent production, then the parts are from a seriously tired tool, resulting in many issues like flash, molding seams, large push-pin marks and compromised parts fit. But then, it didn't cost as much as a Trumpeter kit either (nor should it - Revell should be selling some of these old 're-pops' at extreme discounts, if at all...)

However, in mild defense of Revell, it is a business that is having to survive in an extremely tough market, so I expect they are going to "pump" every possible revenue stream as hard as they can. To be fair, they do produce some very nice 'new tool' stuff as well as keeping some (lots?) of 'vintage' kits sporatically available. For example, Revell produced a very nice kit of the Spirit of St. Louis, a beautiful Stearman and a handsome Lockheed Ventura (all 1/48 scale) as well as, by all reports, other new and quite good armor & auto subjects in other scales. So Revell can do an excellent job - if only they could quit making some real bone-headed marketing mistakes, like replacing an outstanding new & original tooling of a 1/48 scale Dehavilland Mosquito with the same scale, extremely tired and rather inaccurate ex-Monogram, 1960's vintage kit (!?). Only possible explanation is they failed to properly market the new kit as, well a NEW kit, so many saw it as just another re-pop to avoid. Hence poor sales performance, the marketing whizes noticed and decided the new kit was too expensive and lacked 'features', like the many optional parts, of the old kit. So, Mossie back-pedal 40+ years! Or perhaps the new tools were lost in a typhoon? Wish I knew, it is inexplicable (like selling an equally old kit to compete with a new Trumpeter kit...)

I truly think the word 'reputation' does not exist in the Revell corporate office since they routinely do things that maims it.

But as you noted, they frustrate us by their seeming lack of focus & poor commitment to the core business of producing high quality scale models. Unlike Tamiya, which pulls down a majority of their corporate business from products other than plastic models, Revell is a injection-molded plastic model company. Granted, it is part of a larger corporate entity, which may be the part-reason for their unreliable product standards overall, but then what model company these days doesn't suffer from similar issues with oversight? The terrible truth is, however, Revell may be "right" from their viewpoint if the Star Wars line is doing well (the apparent performance of the kits on the LHS shelves indicates otherwise, but who knows what online sales are doing...) and so they may continue.

We would like to continue supporting our model manufacturers but it is difficult when we're getting slap-bottom on a routine basis. Especially when we know they can do better and others are doing just that!

All this said, I expect many will get the SD kit and turn it into something wonderful, since that is what we do - or we "bin it" [One of my favorite quotes, by my buddy D. Garcia: "This kit one where I shook the box and then threw it away..."]

Hang in there - and remember, any day modeling is always better than cutting the grass.

R/ Robert

I love the last paragraph, Robert! That should be in your sig from now on. :)

I can't take credit for that, it was coined originally by Roland Audet (RIP), a friend in our local modeling club. A good friend, a great dad and an outstanding grandpa, he loved modeling since a tike and hated cutting the lawn for perhaps longer. :^)

R/ Robert

Hello Folks, interesting thread. Please allow me to introduce myself. I worked in the visual effects industry for fifteen years, stage (BlueManGroup) for four years, and aerospace for six years. I still build models as a hobby and reading this thread inspired me to join the RPF.

Let me contribute this short tale. Far, far back, in the mists of ancient time, the mid-1970s, when I was just entering high school, I sat in the middle of the front row of seats in the Cine Capri. The Capri was a state-of-the-art movie theater in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was the place to be for any major cinematic event in the state of Arizona. It was certainly the place to be if you were fourteen years old, watching a huge, triangular spaceship coming over your head from the top of the screen and beginning to disappear in the distance- while still coming over the top.

Like the rest of you, I want that ship, and like the rest of you, I was disappointed as hell with the MPC offering. Several years ago, I received one of those kits as a gift from a well-meaning friend who found it at a garage sale. I decided to go ahead and build it, sup

Hello Folks, interesting thread. Please allow me to introduce myself. I worked in the visual effects industry for fifteen years, stage (BlueManGroup) for four years, and aerospace for six years. I still build models as a hobby and reading this thread inspired me to join the RPF.

Let me contribute this short tale. Far, far back, in the mists of ancient time, the mid-1970s, when I was just entering high school, I sat in the middle of the front row of seats in the Cine Capri. The Capri was a state-of-the-art movie theater in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was the place to be for any major cinematic event in the state of Arizona. It was certainly the place to be if you were fourteen years old, watching a huge, triangular spaceship coming over your head from the top of the screen and beginning to disappear in the distance- while still coming over the top.

Like the rest of you, I want that ship, and like the rest of you, I was disappointed as hell with the MPC offering. Several years ago, I received one of those kits as a gift from a well-meaning friend who found it at a garage sale. I decided to go ahead and build it, sup

....and? Please share if you have photos.

TazMan2000

20151124_200324.jpgIt looks like my very first post was cut off at the half-past. Anyway, pics are better. Here's the MPC kit mocked up for this shot with most of the detailing done.

View attachment 667135While I'm at it, here's a shot of the Republic Star Destroyer I'm modifying. I realize that some find mods and departures from canon distasteful, but not me. All these sci-fi franchises invite the imagination to wander around and innovate. Anyway, I imagine that with a fleet as large as that of the Empire, some ships might be used as test beds for new technologies and configurations. I want to show some design transition to the ISD we all know from the first film.View attachment 667136View attachment 667137I decided to create a dedicated cruiser design, instead of the general purpose warship which the RSD seems to be. I duplicated the architecture surrounding the main battery on the upper hull half and made elevated barbettes for both sides. This enables the guns to superfire, that is, guns can fire over the emplacement forward of it so ALL guns can fire directly forward at a si

- - - Updated - - -

Are my posts too long? I keep getting them cut off when I try to post them.

Make sure to click the 'remember me' check box when logging in, otherwise you might be losing your account info 'midstream'.

R/ Robert

I really hope Ban Dai releases that large scale Star Destroyer. I've picked up all of their 1/72 kits, some multiples, but that Star Destroyer would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks TazMan2000 and rbeach84 for the advice.

After looking at the photos of the new star destroyer on Revell's website, I have decided that rather than finish my MPC kit as originally planned, I can bash them together, their being almost exactly the same size. The hull halves are much better on the new kit and the superstructure, bridge area and engines are much better than what MPC did. My superdetailed side panels will make the model strongly resemble the Empire Strikes Back version which I prefer anyway. Some corrective surgery to get rid of the idiotic "landing gear" on the lower hull half, some custom work on the main guns usi

I have pre-ordered it. There are no signs of it in the shops and on Revell's home page at this moment in Germany. Expected release date is Oct 15th (according to amazon Germany). So I expect to get it at the end of this month.

Still getting sawed off at the knees. Hitting Remember me didn't do the trick. Anyway, the new Revell kit was scheduled to be released Sept.30th, 2016. On that date, they updated the relevant page on their website, changing the date to October 21st, 2016. We'll have to wait and see.

It just occurred to me that I can't just hit post after composing my message. I have to hit save first. I'll try that.

Thanks TazMan2000 and rbeach84 for the advice.

My superdetailed side panels will make the model strongly resemble the Empire Strikes Back version which I prefer anyway. Some corrective surgery to get rid of the idiotic "landing gear" on the lower hull half, some custom work on the main guns usi

Cool idea! I'm looking forward to seeing it. I plan to raise the side walls by 1 mm with sheet and install a trillion fibre optics. I was thinking about the energy supply, too. I came to the conclusion that it would be easiest to use the built-in battery compartment (you'll need a hole in the surface for the wires or a plug anyway, so why not use what is already there? ;) ). The rest of the light & sound module will have to go because it looks as if it blocks the way to the four smaller blue lights of the engine. Removing it will also give more space for the fibres. :)

And yep, just checked it again, Oct 21st it is. ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back