New Revell Imperial Star Destroyer kit?

Am I the only one that finds it a bit weird that they are claiming the model is based on the production files, when it clearly shows some differences to the Star Destroyer from the trailer?

To be fair, as Richard Baker said, Bandai's 1/144 falcon was also based on digital assets at the time and they wound up with mirrored side walls which was inaccurate to the movie

i.e. The files they were given when they start production on these kits may not have been what the final on screen subjects wound up being. The Millennium Falcon changed details over the course of production and you can even see differences in what was seen in the trailer vs the final movie for example. They started production on these a while ago.

Another possibility is they created a hybrid on purpose. Much like trying to resolve the differences between the 5 ft Falcon and the 32" falcon. You pick and choose which parts to incorporate and wind up with hybrids of the two

Last edited:
Hmmm, ILM does have an older model. I think it was created for the Star Tours update and was further utilized in promotion/merch afterwards.

I don't think I could build that fast unless a couple of gallons of coffee were involved...

I guess that's because you are an old-school builder*. They are re-inventing the hobby. High detail? Nah! Accuracy? Why should I care? It has lights and sounds! And I can smash it against a wall, and it will look just as good as before!

* no offense meant

I was railing against Revell 10 years ago when all the Dragons, Trumpeters, and Accurate Miniatures suddenly disappeared from Hobby Lobby's shelves, replaced almost exclusively with ****TY Revell kits.
The last Revell I bought was a 1:32 F4-U Corsair, about 17 years ago, that went in the garbage before it was half finished.
Ask me about the amazingly detailed cockpit. Go ahead... ASK ME! :darnkids
I swore to myself then that I'd never buy another Revell as long as I lived.

Then comes news that Revell bought the Millennium Falcon from Fine Molds.
I thought "Great! Now I can finally afford an FM Falcon!"
What does Revell do? They decide to charge the same damn price FM was charging! WTH, Revell???
That was the last straw for me.
To see them now marketing toys as models doesn't come as any surprise to me.
Revell is the Budweiser of model kit manufacturers. They're hacks. I hate them.
It's nice to know that my seething RAGE for this utterly USELESS business is in good company here. :)

Inside Out 2015 Disney Pixar Anger Exploding.jpg

To be honest, a burning hole in the ground would be a step up from the original Ertl Star Destroyer kit.

I would consider the Bandai kits to be 'hyper-realistic replicas'- they have a level of detail which I did not think possible.

I would consider the Bandai kits to be 'hyper-realistic replicas'- they have a level of detail which I did not think possible.

Remember when we first found out that Bandai was getting the SW lic. a few years ago, and everyone moaned because they were only doing "snap togethers"? We thought they were going to suck? Now they are the "hyper realistic replicas" we desire!!!!

I do remember the horror when we found out that FineMolds- the gold standard in Star Wars models, was losing the franchise.
Now we have the best of both worlds- you can still buy them for high prices from Revell and you can also have more accurate models from Bandai which are cheaper.

To be honest, a burning hole in the ground would be a step up from the original Ertl Star Destroyer kit.

C'mon... I have a lot of fond memories of the old SD. Like the old Falcon a LOT of us cut our scratch building and lighting teeth on those guys. Carefully built and painted it looks "decent" from a distance :D

Jedi Dade

I do remember the horror when we found out that FineMolds- the gold standard in Star Wars models, was losing the franchise.
Now we have the best of both worlds- you can still buy them for high prices from Revell and you can also have more accurate models from Bandai which are cheaper.

Not to mention we're also getting a lot more kits and some things that never had a kit before.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back