ESB Kobold Clamp - Too Weathered? Opinions sought

jchristman

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

I'm looking for opinions on my ESB Graflex conversion. First, some context:.

I had some issues getting the rivets to set cleanly when I first attached this clamp, so I drilled them out and redid them; and still had issues. I've riveted things in the past with no problem, so I think the holes are a little oblong, making it really difficult for the rivet gun to snap clean. In the process of removing the old rivets I managed to scratch up the kobold pretty nasty, so I figured I'd lean into it and heavily weather it.

What's everyone's thoughts on the outcome? I like weathered props, but to me this is falling on the sloppy/just crappy side of the spectrum. I know if I wasn't concerned about getting the current rivets removed; and afraid of having problems replacing them, I'd just get a new kobold from Roy and redo it. That's coloring my opinion for sure. Does it totally look like garbage?

Also - anyone have ideas on getting around the rivet problem (what I suspect are slightly too large holes)? I was thinking of backing the rivets with stainless washers, but accessing the back of the rivets in the bottom of the Graflex tube and aligning it all is going to be a chore.

WEB-20160606 untitled shoot-1010914.jpgWEB-20160606 untitled shoot-1010915.jpgWEB-20160606 untitled shoot-1010917.jpg

The more I think about this, the more I realize it's always going to bother me, so I've pretty well decided it needs to be replaced.

I don't think washers are workable. However, I'm thinking if I cut a small length of 1/16" aluminum bar to back the holes with (from the inside of the tube) and drill two correctly spaced 4mm holes,that should overcome any issues with the existing holes - even if I end up having to drill one slightly oversize to extract the current rivets.

i edited this cus I read your post then forgot what you said! You can try gluing some washers in place to renew the hole, but you will maybe need longer rivets if its a thick washer. I think the kobold looks mostly fine anyway. Some weird machine like marks on it though, did you use a dremel? I had a worse problem, I used too much strength wth the rivet setter and it pulled my bottom cap out in a convex way. Was a pain in the ass to bend it back flat

I think it looks great. I had the same problems with the rivets. The holes were too big. I tried to use washers and some kind of metal plate but I could never get it on right. I ended up making fake rivets out of hex screws.

I think it looks great. I had the same problems with the rivets. The holes were too big. I tried to use washers and some kind of metal plate but I could never get it on right. I ended up making fake rivets out of hex screws.

You know that's not a bad idea...Just round off the hex screw sockets.

morti - You're talking about the circular scratches; the ones I made pulling out the old rivet. They are what bug me too,

matty - that's exactly what I'm afraid of. Great solution with the hex-screws, I'll keep that in mind.

james - Thanks! no not 100% mint Graflex. I do like some weathering on most my props any way.

Thanks guys. You've allayed my concerns somewhat. Roy is out of Kobolds anyway, so I'll live with it a while and see how I feel.

Yes. thats some true weathering - and it has character its yours - so i say congrats on doing a fine weathering job!

That almost looks like a vintage and used Kobold clamp ... and trust me I have seen worse clamps still attached to a real Kobold flash ... so move along ... move along :wacko

Chaim

OK, I feel much better after getting the Sym-Cha seal of approval :thumbsup

"Vintage and used" is exactly the look I want, moreso than "That guy doesn't know how to use a rivet gun".

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back