The Hero Moment

I completely agree with the train scene from spiderman 2.

For me, the more important heroic moments in superhero cinema are:

Superman saves Lois Lane from crashing helicopter off of the daily planet in the first superman
Spiderman stopping that train in spiderman 2
Captain america walking home with all those POW's in The first Avenger

Very few Heroes are heroic to me. A lot of them (Batman and Iron man) spend most of their time on bad guy damage control that they never become a symbol of greatness

rudy.jpg

I would call this a collective hero moment. A group of guys banding together to reward their team mate for his dedication and hard work, knowing that he deserves his place on the field for that alone. All willing to sacrifice their spot to make it happen.

Ripley, instead of just taking off in the dropship goes after Newt. She could have easily taken the easy way out and taken off and let the place go critical, but she said 'nope, going to save that little girl'

One of my favorite (real and movie) would be from Blackhawk Down. The two Delta snipers demanded to be dropped at one of the crash sites to try and protect it, knowing that they would probably be over run and killed. That's heroism.

Another would be from Babylon 5 where Cmdr. Ivanova, commanding the White Star fleet, engages the corrupt Earth Shadow-modified destroyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
How has this not been mentioned yet?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dT2eBWI2M

If you don't know the movie... You're missing out. Brad Bird at his best.

Damnit, I've been planning to post that all day, but packing and moving stuff into storage has kept me busy until now.

Oh well... another awesome hero moment.

In one perfect moment of clarity, our hero goes from getting his ass kicked heavily to flat out roflstomping the bad guy.

Makes me happy every time.

From my favorite machinima series Red vs. Blue. The setup here is that prior to this, Sarge found out that most of his military career, namely his time in Blood Gulch to this point, was all a setup by Project Freelancer to test out their agents to see if they were ready for the field. He pretty much had what TV Tropes refers to as a Heroic Blue Screen of Death, which is basically a temporary psychological break down. This right here to me is not only Sarge's Hero Moment, but it's also a rallying speech.

Really, really crap quality - but this moment in Django Unchained makes me feel alsorts of fist pump/heart burst/pride/awesomeness.

Capture1.PNG

The music builds with such perfection, the moment is emotional, righteous retribution. Awesome.

I almost forgot this beauty of a hero moment. From the classic Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn. After spending 48 hours being tormented, tortured, bruised, battered, cut up, losing his friends and his sister, and forced to chop his hand off, Ash Williams, who had been a victim of the evil force, finally cowboys up and finally decides to take the fight to the evil for the first time. Seeing him gear up and the way he holds himself up after cutting the barrel of the trusty double-barrel, the look in his eyes tells you that the hero is born, as he follows it with his iconic line.

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, I was watching The Two Towers tonight, and this moment, to me, is Aragorn's big moment of the film: When all hope is seemingly lost, when our protagonists are down and out and the odds are stacked incredibly against them, the doors swing wide open to reveal our hero, punctuated and underscored by Peter Jackson's cut to the close up, the swelling music, and the slow motion for dramatic effect:

ttt1.jpg

ttt2.jpg

ttt3.jpg

ttt4.jpg

SB

Oddly, this scene from the original Fright Night, one of the heroes digs deep and finds faith:

And although not technically a hero, the final assault run of the Battlestar Pegasus in "Exodus"...

I would say the anti hero moment that works perfectly is from Deep Blue Sea.

Samuel Jackson giving the hero speech about how they are going to work together and make it out of this mess.

Cue close up, music builds up, and the shark jumps out of the water!!!!

Works so well since we've been trained in movies for the hero speech.

Another good one is from E.T.

Eliott and the rest of the boys are on the run with E.T., trying to keep him out of the hands of the shadowy government scientists and agents.

They're running around town on BMX bikes, narrowly avoiding capture on numerous occasions and staying ahead of them by going off-road and taking shortcuts.

Then they get into the clear, thinking they're fine, when BAM! A bunch of government vehicles suddenly appear and block the road, the agents holding shotguns and willing to kill them all to recapture E.T. All seems lost, and Eliott braces for the inevitable.

Then E.T. does his thing to the tune of John Williams' amazing score.

I swear, this entire movie is one giant sobfest for me.

Another good one is from E.T.

Eliott and the rest of the boys are on the run with E.T., trying to keep him out of the hands of the shadowy government scientists and agents.

They're running around town on BMX bikes, narrowly avoiding capture on numerous occasions and staying ahead of them by going off-road and taking shortcuts.

Then they get into the clear, thinking they're fine, when BAM! A bunch of government vehicles suddenly appear and block the road, the agents holding shotguns and willing to kill them all to recapture E.T. All seems lost, and Eliott braces for the inevitable.

Then E.T. does his thing to the tune of John Williams' amazing score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6O2nSOMlI

I swear, this entire movie is one giant sobfest for me.

Captures exactly what I was getting at, perfectly. EMOTION IS LIFE

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back