My "The Greatest American Hero" reboot script (That I've been promising to post for a while now)

NakedMoleRat

Master Member
My love for TGAH has been strong since day one. As a writer, I've written books. A YA series, Sherlock Holmes, and a new children's book. I have written scripts for internet series, but nothing mainstream.

I'm hoping to connect with Disney and get a chance to pitch this someday. I think it would be a great D+ series.

This is a rough draft, it has not gone through the 1st edit/revision yet.

I hope that I'm on the right track. Feedback (for my fragile psyche) is welcome.

The Greatest American Hero​

FADE IN:

TITLE CARD: LOS ANGELES – PRESENT DAY

INT. KITCHEN – DAY

HERO’S HOUSE:

Scan the room to see a manageable mess. Half a pot of coffee sits in the coffee maker. Stacks of papers and loose papers scattered across the dining room table next to an open bag of chips with crumbs all around. Dirty dishes are stacked on the counter next to the sink. A toaster sits with a single slice of toast popped up from it.

Enter hero, Drew Williams, middle-aged, white, in his late thirties to early forties, he runs in. He is sliding a brown, well-worn leather coat over his shoulders and shrugs on into place. He looks at his watch and frowns, runs over to the toaster, grabs the slice, bites it, and begins to eat it, dry. He looks at his watch again, anxiety is growing.

DREW​

Avery, it’s time for us to go! We’re already running late and you have a test this morning.

AVERY V.O.​

Just a minute!

DREW​

No, no more minutes, now, please!

Avery Williams comes into the room. She is a bi-racial, (white and black), medium-skin-toned teenage girl, 14 – 15 years old. Her hair is straightened and just past her shoulders. She is slim and athletic. She is wearing superhero-themed clothing, a T-shirt, a ball cap and a backpack are all themed for superheros.

AVERY​

Are you finally ready to go?

DREW​

Come on!

He starts to cross the room, and passes Avery.

AVERY​

You weren’t waiting on me, were you?

DREW​

Let’s go!

TRANSITION TO:

EXT. DRIVEWAY – DAY

Drew and Avery run across the driveway and into their car. It’s a modest sedan, nothing fancy about it. They jump in, and Avery still has her backpack on as they strap in.

The car backs out of the driveway and heads off down the street.

INT. CAR CAB – DAY

Drew is turning through radio stations, looking for music. The song “Believe it or not” is playing and Drew smiles, and leans back for the drive to Avery’s school.

AVERY​

Seriously! Dad, this song is so old… and lame.

DREW​

The 80’s were the …

AVERY​

[Cutting him off]

The 80’s was the best decade for music, movies, TV dramedies, fashion, and hairdo’s, I know!

DREW​

You forgot sweatbands.

AVERY​

Seriously? They didn’t even have any good superhero shows on back then.

DREW​

There was that one show…

Avery turns the radio off.

Avery​

So, are you taking Saturday off?

DREW​

I’m sorry Boo, I forgot all about it.

AVERY​

You…FORGOT!

DREW​

Yes, I’m sorry. There has been a lot going on at the store, with Mary on maternity leave I have to cover her shifts myself now.

AVERY​

Dad, this is the biggest event at the comic shop of…the…year. Stanley Ju is going to be there, IN PERSON to sign the cover of his new comic.

DREW​

I know, but I can’t leave Rhonda at the store by herself…

AVERY​

[Cutting him off]

Then hire a temp for the day. If I miss this, I will never, ever, EVER allow you to sleep without fear again!

DREW​

What does that mean?

TRANSITION TO:

INT. AVERY’S FINGERS

She is holding her index finger and thumb, framing Drew’s head between them. She pinches her fingers several times.

AVERY​

Pinch, pinch, PINCH!

DREW​

I’m just throwing this out there, do you think that maybe your superhero obsession is a little too much!

AVERY​

[Feigning shock]

Please tell me that I was adopted!

DREW​

You weren’t, I got the test results!

AVERY​

[Long sigh]

Okay, I’m trying to be reasonable here, but it’s only fair to warn you that if you make me miss this I will run away and join the Russian circus.

DREW​

Will you be able to get me comps?

AVERY​

DAD!

Drew starts laughing.

DREW​

I’ll get it covered.

The car pulls up to the curb at her school. She leans over and kisses him on the cheek.

AVERY​

Love you, daddy!

Avery jumps out and runs up to two other girls. She throws an arm around each of them and the three walk off to the entrance.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. CORNER MARKET – DAY

This is Drew’s store, he’s the owner. It’s a small family-run store, with groceries and household items. Nothing fancy but it’s his. He parks in a spot in front and walks in.

TRANSITION TO:

INT. CORNER MARKET – DAY

Rhonda is working behind the counter. She is a young woman in her late teens or early twenties. Heavy makeup, hair pulled back, trendy clothing. She is on her phone, texting, and or posting on social media. Customers are lining up and she is oblivious.

Drew sees this and is frustrated.

DREW​

Rhonda!

She does not hear him, being so involved in her phone.

DREW​

RHONDA!

She looks up, startled. She notices the customers and puts her phone down, finally ringing them up.

As she begins to take care of them one at a time, Drew surveys the store, picking items off of the shelf and examining their expiration dates, and putting them back on the shelf. After the customers have been taken care of, Drew approaches the counter, clearly frustrated but reserved.

DREW​

You were on your phone again.

RHONDA​

Yea?

DREW​

How many times have I asked you to stay off of your phone while you’re at work?

She shrugs her shoulders.

RHONDA​

Lost count.

DREW​

So then, why don’t you listen?

RHONDA​

Don’t want to.

DREW​

[SIGHS]

Why don’t I just fire you?

RHONDA​

Because you used to date my mom.

DREW​

How is she doing?

RHONDA​

She still thinks you’re boring.

Drew smirks and looks away at the corner of the store. He is drawn to Mrs. Thomas, an old, thin woman, widow. She is in the pet food aisle. She is looking intently at several cans, reading the labels of each of them, and weighing her options.

DREW​

I didn’t know that Mrs. Thomas has a cat.

RHONDA​

She doesn’t.

DREW​

Then why is she looking at cat food?

RHONDA​

It’s the end of the month. Her social security check won’t be in for another four or five days.

Drew frowns, horrified. He looks off into the distance, he is working something out in his mind. A smile slowly spreads over his face. He leaves the counter and approaches Mrs. Thomas.

DREW​

Good morning, Mrs. Thomas. How are you doing today.

She looks up and smiles. She has kind eyes.

MRS. THOMAS​

I’m doing well, Drew. How are you?

DREW​

I have a problem and I was wondering if you might be able to help me with it.

MRS. THOMAS​

[Perplexed]

What is it?

DREW​

I made a mistake in ordering my deli meat this week. I ordered way more than I needed and it’s likely to go bad before I can sell it all.

She listens to him.

DREW​

I don’t want it to go to waste, so I am having to sell it at two dollars a pound just to be able to unload it.

MRS. THOMAS​

[Excited]

Really?

DREW​

I’m afraid so. I’m not sure if you were planning to buy any today, but it would really help me out of you would.

MRS. THOMAS​

What kind?

DREW​

All of it, roast beef, ham, turkey, chicken breast, pastrami.

MRS. THOMAS​

[Doing math in her head]

Could I get three pounds of each?

DREW​

Bless you, Mrs. Thomas. That will really save me.

TRANSITION TO:

INT. COUNTER – DAY

Drew is wrapping up the order and Rhonda rings her up.

MRS. THOMAS​

Thank you, Drew.

DREW​

You’re welcome, Mrs. Thomas.

She leaves the store in great spirits.

RHONDA​

You know that you just lost three dollars a pound on that, right?

DREW​

Mrs. Thomas babysat me when I was little. She not eating cat food as long as I can help it.

Rhonda’s phone is still sitting on the counter. He picks it up and sticks it n his pocket.

DREW​

I’m going to the office. I'd like you to straighten out the displays, dust, and organize the shelves, please.

Rhonda salutes and grabs the duster. Drew walks out and she sets it down and pulls another device from her pocket, begins tapping away on it.

TRANSITION TO:

STORE OFFICE - DAY

Drew walks in and over to his desk. It is as messy as his table at home. He sits down and grabs a sandwich and begins to eat. He turns the TV on. He begins flipping through channels, watching news reports.

CHANNEL 1​

Reports of civil unrest rise as law-makers are unable to compromise on…

CHANNEL 2​

The death toll rises after a 7.8 earthquake levels an Indonesian village…

CHANNEL 3​

The attacker killed three people during the siege…

CHANNEL 4​

A hit and run left a man in critical condition and his wife dead…

CHANNEL 5​

Pakistani terrorists kill 72 innocent villagers in insurgent attack…

CHANNEL 6​

Crime boss McCallister once again evades justice as courts are unable to…

Drew turns the TV off and drops the remote on his desk. He is troubled by all of the bad news. He rubs his eye sockets with his knuckles, no longer in the mood to eat.

DREW​

Whatever happened to Ozzie and Harriet?

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. STORE – LATE EVENING

After work. Drew locks up the store and heads to his car. It is dark outside and the parking lot light post is flickering. Drew heads to his car, keys in one hand, phone in the other. He is in conversation with Avery.

DREW​

Sorry that I’m coming home so late. Want me to pick up something to eat?

AVERY [VO]​

Nope, I made dinner already, just come home.

DREW​

Thanks, Boo, I love you.

AVERY [VO]​

Love you too. Are you taking me to the comic shop Saturday?

DREW​

I would not dare disappoint you!

AVERY [VO]​

Smart man! Get home safely, daddy.

Drew disconnects and puts the phone in his pocket. He starts to put the keys in the lock and then something weird happens. A bright spot of light suddenly appears next to him. He walks away from the car and begins to look around. The spot of light moves and then slowly begins to circle around him. It picks up speed, faster and faster until it becomes a solid ring of light around him. Suddenly another light from above him glares into being. He looks up, shielding his eyes with his arm against the glare. A solid beam of light comes down from above and floods him, drowning out the darkness. He stands there, covering his eyes. The lights in the store all go out. The parking lot lights go out. The area is completely dark. The only light is from what is going on. Just as suddenly the entire light is gone. It blinks out in a second, without any lingering effects. A wind blows down from above, rustling leaves and trash in the parking lot and then all is still. Just as quickly as it began it is over. Drew walks around the parking lot looking around, up to the sky, etc. He looks back at the store and the lights suddenly come back on, followed by the parking lot lights. Confused and exhausted, he gets in his car to leave.

DISSOLVE TO: NEXT DAY

INT. DREW’S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – DAY

Drew is in his house, late morning. He is looking at the news on his tablet, likely trying to look up what happened last night. The phone rings. His ex-wife Pam, Avery’s mother, is calling. She's African American, a few years his junior.

DREW​

Good morning, Pam. What can I do for you?

PAM [VO]​

I’m calling about Avery.

DREW​

What about her?

PAM [VO]​

Saturday? She really wants to go to that signing at the comic shop.

DREW​

I’m going to take her.

PAM [VO]​

Alex is willing to take her there.

DREW​

Excuse me?

PAM [VO]​

As it turns out, Alex knows the artist. It seems he’s done work for him.

DREW​

So?

PAM [VO]​

So, he can get Avery a personal meet and greet with Ju and get her some other swag that she’ll love.

DREW​

Tell your rich boyfriend that I appreciate the fact that the artist is on his arsenal of “look who I know” group of others that his empire has in his pocket, but…

PAM [VO]​

[CUTTING HIM OFF]

Don’t be petty. Yes, he’s rich and very well-connected with all of the important city leaders, but don’t make this about you. This is about your daughter and
giving her the best possible experience that she can have.

DREW​

This is my weekend! It’s bad enough that he gives her every latest gadget and toy available! Don’t take away my time with her too.

PAM [VO]​

He’s already called Avery and told her that he can bring her and what she can get if she goes with us.

DREW​

I don’t appreciate that.

PAM [VO]​

Again, this is not about you! I told her to call me later today and let me know if she wants to come with us instead.

Pam hangs up. Drew is frustrated, and disturbed. He is pulled out of his funk as Avery comes into the room.

AVERY​

Dad, so, about Saturday…

DREW​

[Anticipating the worst]

Yes?

AVERY​

Did you get it off? I’m really looking forward to going with you.

DREW​

[Tearing up]

Nothing will get in the way of me bringing you there.

She kisses him on the cheek.

AVERY​

Thanks, daddy. Cindy’s mom is picking me up for school today.

With that, she runs out of the room and out the door. Drew smiles and nods his head.

DISSOLVE TO:

Grocery store. Drew walks in as a delivery man is there with a hand truck with boxes loaded on it. He has a small device for him to sign accepting delivery. Drew signs it and the driver puts the boxes off of the hand truck and leaves. Rhonda is there behind the counter, on her phone.

DREW​

Can you help me put these on the shelves?

RHONDA​

Going to give me overtime?

DREW​

Going to keep you from the unemployment line.

Rhonda sighs and puts her phone in her pocket. She grabs a box and heads to a shelf to put the items on it.

Drew looks through the boxes and frowns.

DREW​

Are the bananas in your box?

RHONDA​

No.

DREW​

They are not here. They were supposed to be here in this order.

RHONDA​

Looks like you got hosed!

DREW​

I only have a few bananas left! There aren’t enough to last till next week’s delivery.

RHONDA​

Oh, the horror!

DREW​

People depend on me to have what they need. Mrs. Johnson usually comes in this time of the week to get a couple of pounds to make her banana bread.

RHONDA​

Give her some zucchini and have her try a new recipe.

DREW​

I need to get the bananas.

RHONDA​

Wait, do you feel that?

Drew looks up, confused.

DREW​

Feel what?

RHONDA

Tidal waves are off the charts! The moon must have slipped out of orbit over a lack of bananas!

DREW​

You do know, Rhonda, that there is more to the world than just you and what you like?

RHONDA​

Nope, that’s just an ugly rumor! Let’s put that one to rest right now.

DREW​

I need to call the delivery service and get those bananas.

The phone rings. Drew walks behind the counter and picks it up. On the other end is a metallic voice, not sure if it’s a man, woman, or an automated voice.

DREW​

Hello.

VOICE [VO]​

You have a package waiting for you.

DREW​

Is this about my bananas?

VOICE [VO]​

Your package will available tonight. If you do not pick it up tonight, it will be taken away and you will not be able to have the chance again.

DREW​

For bananas?

VOICE [VO]​

An address is being sent to your cell phone. Come this evening at eight PM and pick the package up.

DREW​

I would rather come and get the bananas earlier, if possible.

VOICE [VO]​

If our instructions are not followed exactly, then you will have lost this opportunity.

DREW​

Okay. I have enough to get through the day, I guess. I’ll pick it up tonight then. Thank you.

The phone goes silent and just as it does, his cell phone alerts. He pulls it from his pocket and looks at it. He shrugs his shoulders.

DREW​

That’s a weird place to pick up bananas.

RHONDA​

Can I go home early?

Drew puts his phone back in his pocket and turns to her.

DREW​

No!

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. INDUSTRIAL AREA – NIGHT

Drew’s car is driving down an industrial part of town. The street looks abandoned and barely lit.

TRANSITION TO:

INT. DREW’S CAR – NIGHT

He looks at his phone and compares the address to a building a few feet away. He looks at it a couple of more times and shrugs his shoulders.

TRANSITION TO:

EXT. PARKING LOT – NIGHT

Drew gets out of the car and looks again at the building. The area is desolate and abandoned. He looks at the building. It is an industrial building, used to be used for manufacturing, or something like that. He is apprehensive but curiosity is stronger than worry. He heads to the building.

TRANSITION TO:

INT. WAREHOUSE BUILDING – NIGHT

Drew walks in, the building is dark and empty.

DREW​

Hello?

He walks further in, still no sign of activity.

DREW​

This is the address I was supposed to come to, right?

He goes a bit further, and rounds a corner. The building is still dark.

DREW​

I’m supposed to pick up my bananas.

He continues deeper, and rounds another corner.

DREW​

So…the bananas are here somewhere?

He makes his last turn and sees a pedestal in the middle of the room. A single light is shining on it from overhead. On the pedestal is a box, illuminated by the light.

He walks cautiously over to it. The box is not too large, about 12 inches square. The outside is very, very glossy black with some strange wording (alien language) on it.

DREW​

Is, um, is anyone here?

He reaches for the box, and hesitates.

DREW​

Ok, so, I’ll just take my bananas and head out.

He waits for any kind of answer, several seconds go by. He finally decides to take the box. He reaches out and takes it. It starts to glow a very, very, almost imperceptible red. He looks at it, shakes it slightly, and turns.

DREW​

OK, thanks for the bananas.

[He waits a few seconds]

I’ll uh, I’ll be going now.

He turns, and the light from above turns off. He’s weirded out by this and heads out. We retrace his steps as he works his way out of the building and leaves.

TRANSITION TO:

INT. DREW’S CAR – NIGHT.

P.O.V. from the passenger seat as Drew gets in and sets the box down next to him. He drives off.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. DREW’S HOUSE – NIGHT

Drew walks in and sets the box down on the kitchen table. He looks at his watch and frowns.

DREW​

I must be crazy.

Drew leaves the room, turning off the lights as he goes.

Tight shot of the box. The alien letters come into clear focus and turn red. The box glows brightly…

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. DREW’S HOUSE – KITCHEN -DAY

Next morning. – Saturday.

Drew comes into the kitchen and begins to make breakfast. He gets the coffee going and looks in the fridge for something to eat. He notices the box again on the table.

DREW​

Never seen bananas packaged like that before.

He reaches out to touch it and just as his hand is about to make contact, Avery barges into to the room. She is dressed in a superhero costume. It looks like a high-end, homemade outfit. She has spent some money on it, but it’s not perfect.

AVERY​

You ready, dad?

Drew turns away from the box.

DREW​

Already? I just got up.

AVERY​

You did stumble in late last night. You and Rhonda’s mom are not back together, are you?

She shudders at saying it.

DREW​

No, I just had to go and pick up an order that wasn’t delivered to the store yesterday.

AVERY​

Great story, let’s go.

Drew points to the coffee starting to brew.

DREW​

I haven’t eaten yet.

AVERY​

And that’s why God made drive-throughs.

DREW​

But, I…

AVERY​

Dad, the lines are going to be insane the later we go. Please, if you love me, prove it! Let’s leave, please.

Drew smiles and they leave.

Tight shot on the box as they walk away. It begins to glow again.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. COMIC SHOP – DAY

We see a buzz of activity in the shop. In the far corner is the artist, Ju, sitting at a table. There is already an insanely long line waiting to be signed. Drew and Avery walk in. She sees the activity and is excited. Drew looks like he is dreading this, but is glad to be with his daughter. To Drew’s horror, by the counter are his ex-wife Pam and her boyfriend Alex, a white man who ‘looks’ rich and powerful. They see him and Avery and approach them.

PAM​

Avery, Drew. How are you guys?

AVERY​

Mom?

ALEX​

How are you doing, Drew?

DREW​

Alex! Didn’t expect to see you here.

ALEX​

Well, a first-edition comic, signed by the artist, seemed to be a solid enough investment that I decided to stop by and take a look.

DREW​

Sure.

PAM​

Don’t be like that.

[To Avery]

Baby girl, this is exciting!

AVERY​

Yeah, dad and I have been looking forward to it for some time now.

ALEX​

Well, that line is getting long, isn’t it? I just so happen to know both the shop owner and the artist, so what do you say we cut the line and go straight there?

He and Pam walk away. Avery looks at Drew with ‘I’m sorry’ eyes and takes his hand. They walk to the table. Stanly Ju is there with a pen in hand.

JU​

ALEX, this is your stepdaughter that I’ve heard about.?

ALEX​

Um, well, almost.

Drew looks at Pam’s hand, and sees a ring. She notices him looking and tucks her hand behind her back.

JU​

[To Avery]

Great costume!

AVERY​

[Spellbound]

Thanks!

Ju signs the comic and hands it to her. He then takes a sheet of paper and draws an original sketch, signs it, and hands it to her. She takes it and stares at it, blown away

AVERY​

Tha…thank you!

JU​

My pleasure. Stay heroic, hero.

They walk away from the table; Avery is blown away.

ALEX​

What do you say we all go out to lunch? My treat.

DREW​

I really don’t think…

PAM​
Sushi?

AVERY​

You know my one weakness.

Drew frowns, his Saturday with his daughter is now being shared.

ALEX​

Sushi it is.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. RESTAURANT – SUSHI AMOR – DAY

They are at a table, already well into the meal. Plates of sushi are laid out at various levels of consumption.

ALEX​

So, Drew, how is the store going?

DREW​

Great. I just had a big sale on lunch meat.

ALEX​

(Not trying to hold back his ironic attitude)
That’s great.

PAM​

That really is great. How have sales been otherwise?

DREW​

Good enough.

PAM​

It must be hard to compete with the big chain stores these days.

ALEX​

It’s hard to compete against anything that's bigger and better than you are. Wouldn’t you say that’s true, Drew?

DREW​

Only if competition is your goal.

AVERY​

So, mom, how has your clothing line been going?

PAM​

Since Alex invested in it, I have had doors opened to me that I never would have been able to knock on before.

AVERY​

That’s…great, mom.

ALEX​

Which reminds me, Drew. I have been thinking about investing in grocery stores.

DREW​

Because only owning three-quarters of the city is not enough for you?

AVERY​

Dad.

ALEX​

It’s okay. I make no apology for being successful. I like being rich and able to provide for those I care about.

DREW​

So, you do care about others?

AVERY​

Dad…

Drew holds back.

PAM​

What do you say we table this one? All Alex wants is to assure that Avery is well cared for, for her future.

Alex stares down Drew.

ALEX​

I just worry that she’ll have enough. That’s all.

Drew stands up.

DREW​

I’ve had enough.

He tosses a napkin over his plate.

DREW​

Thank you for a lovely afternoon.

He walks away from the table. Avery glares at her mother and walks off after him.

TRANSITION TO:

EXT. OUTSIDE THE RESTAURANT – DAY

Drew and Avery are in the parking lot. Drew is frustrated and disappointed in himself for the display he just made. He is almost teared up in all of it. He turns to Avery.

DREW​

I’m sorry. I meant to make Saturday special for you, not…not this. I never meant to embarrass you.

Avery leans over and kisses him on the cheek.

AVERY​

Dad, you’re my hero!

He looks at her and smiles.

AVERY​

Let’s blow this joint. I have some new comics to read.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. DREW’S HOUSE – DAY

The camera is inside the house. The front door opens and Drew and Avery walk in. They head to the kitchen. They are in the middle of a conversation as they enter.

DREW​

That’s not nice, honey.

AVERY​

Seriously, Dad, Alex is a weird creep. I don’t know why Mom even stays with him.

DREW​

I can think of a few million reasons.

AVERY​

Sure, he’s rich, but he’s a jerk.

Drew walks to the coffee pot, still on, and thick coffee sludge is in the pot. He turns it off and takes it to the sink, begins rinsing it out. Avery notices the box on the table.

AVERY​

Dad. What’s this?

DREW​

What’s what?

AVERY​

This box on the table.

DREW​

Those are the bananas I picked up last night.

Avery tries to pull the lid off of the box. It won’t budge. She tries again and again, but it won’t move.

AVERY​

I don’t think these are bananas.

DREW​

Why do you say that?

AVERY​

Because bananas don’t come in glossy black boxes with alien writing on it.

DREW​

Alien writing, sure. You and your comic books.

Avery tries opening it again. She is tugging and tugging, grunting, to no avail. Drew walks over and sits down.

AVERY​

Whatever is in here, you’re not getting it. The stupid box is like Fort Knox, you can’t get in it. There must be a hidden key or something somewhere on it.

She slides the box across the table to Drew. He takes it and puts his hand on it. The box glows red and the lid releases with a hiss.

DREW​

Fort Knox?

Avery gets up and stands behind him.

TRANSITION TO:

Over Drew’s shoulder. He opens the lid of the box. Inside are two items. An electronic alien tablet, about four inches long and three-quarters of an inch thick. It is mostly a screen with a few buttons on the bottom and side. Next to it is what resembles a hockey puck. It’s about three-quarters the size of a hockey puck and a deep glossy red with slight black texturing lines, almost imperceptible. Avery reaches in and snatches up the device, turning it around and looking for an on button. It will not activate. She hands it to Drew.

AVERY​

The box liked you better than me, maybe this will too.

Drew holds it but nothing happens. It will not activate for him either. He reaches in and takes out the puck object [which will be revealed as the suit] and flips it a couple of times. He stands up and turns it over in his hands a few times. As if on instinct, he stands up straight and stretches out his arm with the suit puck flat in the palm of his hand. It glows for a second and then begins to unfold and spread out and across him. Starting with his hand, it covers it in red, which quickly crawls up his arm, over his shoulders, and spreads out to the other arm while simultaneously traveling down his torso and over his legs, to his feet. The suit starts to solidify as a dark red with a superhero texture in subtle black. The red on his hands solidifies into black gauntlets, he gets black boots and a black belt. A black cape grows from the back of the neckline and travels down its back into place. Lastly, a silver three-dimensional emblem [from the original series] solidifies into place on his chest.

Drew is in shock.

DREW​

What the?

AVERY​

Whoa! That’s awesome!

She reaches out to the table and picks up the device that they had looked at a minute ago. She hands it to Drew.

AVERY​

Maybe you have to have the suit on to make this work.

He holds it and the screen comes to life. A strange alien language is written on it, then it scrolls through a few languages, finally settling on English. The screen reads, ‘Instructions”.

AVERY​

Oh, this is so unfair!

DREW​

What are you talking about?

AVERY​

If anyone should have gotten a superhero suit it should have been me. You don’t know anything about being a superhero.

DREW​

I don’t know what this is, but I doubt it’s that.

AVERY​

Seriously, a clandestine pickup at an old warehouse complex, an alien box with a superhero suit in it, and you’re not convinced?

Drew cockes his head, tight focus on his ear. We hear tires screech and a woman scream. Instinct takes over and he leaves in a flash, streaks of light left in his wake.

TRANSITION TO:

EXT. NEIGHBORHOOD STREET – DAY.

A car is slamming on its breaks. The teenage driver was on their phone, not paying attention. A toddler is frozen in fear in the street in front of it. Its mother screams from the sidewalk. Drew is running at the speed of light, streaks coming off him. He runs past the car and scoops up the toddler just in time, coming to a stop and handing him to his mother. The woman’s tears have turned to joy. She thanks him profusely as neighbors begin to applaud. Avery is coming down the street, having just seen the very end. Drew is uncomfortable and runs back home. He picks up Avery on the way and carries her home.

TRANSITION TO:

INT. DREW’S HOME – BACK IN THE KITCHEN.

AVERY​

That was three blocks away. You got there in less than a second.

DREW​

How much did you see?

AVERY​

Nothing. I came in after you were

finished. What happened?

DREW​

I don’t know. I heard tires screeching, and a woman screaming, and I instinctively ran.

AVERY​

You know what this means?

DREW​

That you were right about this suit.

AVERY​

Oh, it means more than that.

DREW​

What’s that?

AVERY​

You need a teacher. Starting tomorrow we go out to the desert and start practicing!

DREW​

Practicing?

AVERY​

Yes, and you will henceforth refer to me as sensei.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. CALIFORNIA DESERT – DAY.

The car pulls up to a largely desolate spot, off of the main road and Drew and Avery get out. They walk for a while and see an outcropping of large rocks/hills. Avery points to them and they walk over to and behind them.

AVERY​

This looks like a good spot.

DREW​

As good as any.

He pulls the puck out of his pocket and it unfolds and covers him in the suit again. Avery finally realizes that he’s wearing two sets of clothing.

AVERY​

Is it uncomfortable?

DREW​

Is what uncomfortable?

AVERY​

Wearing two sets of clothes? You have your clothes on under the suit.

DREW​

Actually, I can’t even tell that. It feels like all I have on is the suit, and in fact, it’s quite comfortable.

He begins swinging his arms and squatting.

DREW​

Very comfortable.

AVERY​

Okay, America’s next flop model, get it together and focus.

She reaches into her backpack and pulls out the instruction manual. He takes it and it turns on, the screen glowing brightly against the sun.

DREW​

(Thumbing through)

Super speed, obviously. Super Strength, super hearing and sight…

(Pauses)

Bulletproof, that’s good to know. It says that some of the features of the suit are built-in and automatic, like being bulletproof. Some features require tapping a code into one of the gauntlets. Other features are more intuitive and can only be accessed after I bond with it.

AVERY​

Bond with it?

DREW​

That’s what it says.

AVERY​

What, you have to wear it to dinner and a movie?

He laughs and sets the instruction book down on a rock. He walks over to a boulder and makes a fist. He looks at his fist and then at the rock, back and forth for several moments. He is hesitating. Avery wants to nudge him into action but withholds herself. Drew closes his eyes, takes several deep breaths, and then opens them and looks at the rock. He punches hard and impacts with the boulder. We see in slow motion debris flying from the boulder and a crack form. He pulls his hand back amazed.

DREW​

I felt the impact, but no pain.

He wriggles his fingers and turns back to the boulder, now no concern on his face, just gleeful determination. He punches the boulder again and it splits in two with a deafening crack.

Avery jumps up from where she had been sitting.

AVERY​

No stinking way!

Drew walks over and picks up a large chunk of the boulder that he just shattered; the piece is easily fifty to a hundred pounds. He hoists it up with no effort and positions it in his right hand and hurtles it, sending it far off into the distance.

AVERY​

Massively cool super strength? Check! Now, let’s try something else, shall we?

Drew walks back over and picks up the instruction manual again. He looks through it and his eyes light up. Avery sees that and out of curiosity, she stands next to him, reading the manual over his shoulder.

AVERY​

Oh, you have GOT to try that one next.

DREW​

Agreed.

He stands up straight as Avery steps back. She is excited and so is he.

DREW​

Okay, here we go.

He is still holding on to the instruction book and we see him finger the side of his gauntlet on his left wrist and instantly vanishes from sight. Avery jumps up and down in delight.

TRANSITION TO:

EXT. CALIFORNIA DESERT – DAY

SAME LOCATION, ONLY GIANT

We discover that Drew has shrunk in size to that of a bug. Everything around him is now huge, grains of sand are the size of boulders. He looks up through massive channels of enlarged grains of sand. In the background, we hear Avery cheering. He looks around his area and smiles. He reads another item from the instruction manual and then sets it on a grain of sand/boulder next to him and steps back. He next taps another code into his gauntlet and his suit expands with air becoming a bulbous ball. He lets the air out just as he hears a deafening scream and shattering thud.

DREW​

Avery!

He taps his gauntlet again and enlarges back to standard size. Avery is about a hundred feet or so away on the ground cradling a skinned knee. He runs over to her. He picks her up in one hand and puts her on her feet.

DREW​

Honey, are you okay?

AVERY​

Yeah, I just tripped and skinned my knee on a rock. No big, barely broke the skin.

DREW​

Thank goodness! The sound of you shrieking and falling over at my tiny size was deafening!

AVERY​

So, what was it like?

DREW​

It was incredible! Grains of sand were the size of boulders. I also found a code to make the suit fill up with air. That will come in handy if we’re ever on a sinking ship!

AVERY​

That is awesome! What do we try next?

Drew instinctively reaches for the manual and realizes he’s lost it. He jumps up, panicked.

DREW​

Oh no!

AVERY​

What is it?

DREW​

Oh no, no, no, NO!

AVERY​

Dad! What is it?

DREW​

The instruction manual, I left it sitting on a grain of sand when I went back to normal size. I heard you scream and I just instinctively…

Avery’s eyes widen in terror.

AVERY​

No, you didn’t. You’re playing with me, right?

He shakes his head.

AVERY​

Okay, it’s okay. No need to panic. Just get small again and go pick it up.

DREW​

I was a hundred feet or more away than I am now. Not to mention I don’t remember the exact spot.

AVERY​

So?

DREW​

As I said, I was so small that a grain of sand was as big as the boulder I just broke. By comparison, I am now thousands of miles from where I was. I’ll never find it.

AVERY​

Dad, shrink down and use your super speed to comb the area. You have supervision too, right? So, use it to scope the area out.

DREW​

I don’t know how to use the super vision!

AVERY​

Just, try!

Drew nods his head and presses his gauntlet. He shrinks down and we see Avery sit and wait.

TRANSITION TO: LATER, AN HOUR OR SO

Drew finally gets full size again, he is several yards away from Avery. He super-speed runs over to her. She looks up at him, and he looks down and shakes his head, defeated. Avery reaches out her hand and he helps her up.

AVERY​

I’m so sorry dad!

DREW​

It’s not your fault. Please don’t blame yourself.

AVERY​

Right then, no worries.

DREW​

No worries? I have a super suit that I have no idea how to use!

AVERY​

But you do know the basics.

DREW​

What do you mean?

AVERY​

Some of the features, like being bulletproof, is built in, those will kick in when you need them. Others are instructions that you enter on your gauntlets. We may not find those so easily, but then again, we may. Others are intuitive and will respond to you when you bond with it. So, there’s only one thing for us to do.

Drew​

What’s that?

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. DREW’S HOUSE – KITCHEN

Drew is still in the suit, sitting at the kitchen table. Avery comes down with loads of graphic novels and comic books in her arms. So many that they are falling and she is leaving a trail. She makes it to the table and drops them in front of Drew. they spill everywhere. He looks at them and up at her.

AVERY​

Crash course in superhero-ing.

That's where I have it so far.

I'll introduce an FBI agent, a tall shapely blonde woman named Billie Maxwell. She is "That Maxwell's" daughter. She had grown up hearing about her dad's adventures with Ralph Hinkley and when she reads about all the new hero-ing going on, she finds him and they partner together to solve a crime that's been evading her forever, and Drew's ex-wife pam is dating the guy she's after but can't bring down.

I really hope that you like it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back