FM/Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon Full Power Engine Glow

Supercoolin

Well it took 12 high power 3W LED's to get that super bright white glow of when the engines are at full power. When I first put it all together and powered it up, I had no idea just how much heat would be displaced by the little 3W LED's. Quickly I learned as they burned out after a couple of seconds. I had to cut up CPU heat sinks, make heat transfer plates and heat transfer tubes, all heat transfer epoxied together, and then add a little 40mm fan, but now they can be powered 30-40 minutes before the whole model shell warms up. I have it set up with relays go from blue to flickering blue to full power blue/white. There are eight 5mm ultra blue, eight 5mm ultra blue flickering, sixteen 5mm ultra white and twelve 3W ultra bright LED's for the engine effects.

IMG_1567.JPG
Heat Sinks and Electronics (relays hidden under light well)
IMG_1569.JPG
Picture doesn't show the blue that well, there are flickering blue led's for when the engine fail to start.
IMG_1565.JPG
FULL POWER -- (lots of heat!!)

Looks really good! I need to find a small light set up for the Bandai falcon whenever I finally get around to building it.

Do you have pictures of the build up of the engine light section? Did you use clear resin bits or did you use just a frosted lens?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back