Styrene R2-D2

He weighs in at 85 pounds. Which isn't exactly light but better than the several hundred pounds an aluminum droid can weigh.

Looks awesome! Great job.

I built my styrene R2 for about $400. I brought the dome and about half of the smaller parts and scratch built the rest and actually hand cut all the styrene panels.

I thought about powering it, but I only ever wanted to display it not take it out for shows etc.

R2 builders club is the best place to get started.

Okay, it took a bit to get him moving ... I'm a noob with RC. After weeks of trying to tweak and calibrate the controller and transmitter ... turns out I had two motor wires swapped. Anyway ... who cares, I have a moving R2!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a pair of lightweight legs....and I'm thinking of doing a styrene body...

I'm going back to re read the thread, but how much does your R2 weigh, and where did the parts come from?

85 lbs. Got parts from various sources I would assume.

I need a pair of lightweight legs....and I'm thinking of doing a styrene body...

I'm going back to re read the thread, but how much does your R2 weigh, and where did the parts come from?

Most of this is built from the excellent Dave Everett Styrene plans on the R2Builders group site, astromech.com. Many of the smaller parts were made from scratch by me. Others were bought from other R2 Builders Group members off the site. If you are going to by parts, I HIGHLY recommend you get them through a builder on the site. Anyone selling on the site his held to high standards of accuracy, so when you get the parts, they actually FIT where they are supposed to.

I cannot say enough about astromech.com and the community there.

So I finally had the guts to properly weather Artoo. I went for a subtle Tatooine look. A few layers of various acrylic washes did the job. What can I say? He instantly went from "plastic thing I made" to "rough-an-tumble astromech". The weathering REALLY makes him come alive. So glad I did it.

IMG_5288.JPGIMG_5287.JPGIMG_5286.JPGIMG_5285.JPGIMG_5284.JPGIMG_5289.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back