Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Ah yes, the dynamic duo of Toxic Masculinity and Misogyny - brought to you by Oppressive Patriarchy™. ​So glad I'm *****.

edit, ok can't say the 'Q' word, even when reclaiming it for myself. Well then, I'll just have to say I'm LGBTQ

Vader wasn't conflicted until the very end...not exactly a pattern there. He was a stone cold killer through all of ANH and ESB. It was only when Luke began to tell him that he could sense the good in him--and really when it came to it and the Emperor was killing his own son in front of him--that Vader showed any conflict. He kept telling the Emperor (and us) that there "Is NO conflict".

Maul was no more extreme than any other Sith... it's what the Sith do: magnify only the Dark Side. Honestly, we got ZERO character development for Maul. He only spoke one line of dialog. We know he was good with a saber, but that's about it.

Context... compared to Kylo Ren. Maul was extreme, compared to Kylo. Vader was conflicted, once, Kylo was not.
I just meant what Josh saw was all wrong and those were things seen in other "dark siders".

Actually Maul spoke several ;) and it would be great to see him back... in action.

I just really don't get why people think this.

All through the movie they showed that he was conflicted...that he was struggling to extinguish the Light inside himself--that he was actively trying to become something that deep inside he knew he was not.

Lor San Tekka said as much in the first moments of the film...that he (Kylo) could not deny the truth of whom he was. THAT is what was established.

I guess lots of people weren't paying attention to that.. or the fact that J.J. Abrams told us months before TFA's release that Kylo Ren was not a traditional moustache twirling baddie...he "didn't have his act all together" and so on.

The point is, we KNEW this going in, and they showed it to us all throughout. So why did so many people still come out surprised that he wasn't the ultimate badass?

Yes, I know what we were told. To me, though, the first shot you see of him is holy @#$^ he did what?!?! (stopping the blaster bolt). Then it goes to things like ripping info out of peoples heads - then it goes to temper tantrums because things don't go his way? I'm open to revisting the opinion after 8 and 9 are out. Could be one of those things that comes off better in the long run. I saw, at best a super powerful loose cannon.

Maybe it has to do with the lack of known motivation. We've got no clue why he's rejected his former life and gone evil. And it seems he's not entirely sure. It would problably have more weight with the whole backstory there. Vader, maul, the emperor, and dooku to an extent - they were just put to us a pure evil. OK. It's harder to grasp the work in process bad guy when you have no idea why he's headed down that path. To kill your father like that, you'd think there's a giant massive reason for it. We've got nothing so far.

Kylo is "complicated, conflicted bad guy" by committee. There is nothing there but the manufactured hype surrounding him. To drive home the point, the character tells you what it is, in the movie. It isn't a character, it's a void of a character that makes the entire movie ring hollow. The series doesn't even need him. He could have never made it off of the ice planet/base and they could fill in the holes as to why he was the way he was, later.

I think the next Starkiller base should have a "Safe Space" area built for Kylo Ren and alike
"Kylo, we've set up this space in the storage hold and filled it with useless rubbish for you to destroy the next time you get angry, because...well, those control panels are getting expensive. Besides, one of these days you're bound to damage one that controls the ship or something, and then we're all screwed." :D

"Kylo, we've set up this space in the storage hold and filled it with useless rubbish for you to destroy the next time you get angry, because...well, those control panels are getting expensive. Besides, one of these days you're bound to damage one that controls the ship or something, and then we're all screwed." :D

:lol :lol

Oh, boy...

“The Force Awakens” doesn’t just refer to Rey. It refers to Kylo Ren too. “This was not just ‘The Force Awakens’ in a young woman,” says the documentary. “It’s the dark side of The Force awakening in the villain.”

That's it. I'm out of here.

Except that if Ben/Ren was just awakened, he'd like not be doing things vader or the emperor never did in the first 2 minutes of the movie...I think it's pretty established that while he may be a bad guy in process - he's been using the force for a good while now. I suppose, too, 'awakens' could mean no one using it for 20 years and BenRen and others picking it up 10ish years ago.

I'll also say i thought they said something to that effect well before the movie was out. That, aside from luke, no one had been doing jedi/sith stuff the until fairly recently and people were forgetting the force even existed, fallen off into the myth/legend category.

To me, the force 'awakens' - at least after viewing - meant two things. 1. The force just awakened in Rey (not BenRen) and 2. It was awakening in the galaxy along the lines of coming back into public view. Post viewing, i never thought of it applied to BenRen. Seems luke had taught him at a fairly young age (10-15 at least).

why do you have a problem with that? i can totally see how they were showing us that both Ben and Rey were awakening to their powers.

How exactly did Ben's powers awaken? In the first act of the film, he's using the Force to stop blaster beams, mind rape prisoners and push/pull people with the intent of causing harm. Saying that his dark side powers awoke in this film is nonsense because he's been using these powers for dark purposes the whole bloody time. If they tried to convey there was an awakening in him, they blew it. He was a jerk from beginning to end.

Take it down a notch, Jeyl... nobody is getting excited. we're sharing ideas.

I was reacting to your outburst of: "That's it.. I'm out of here!" by saying that i could see what they meant with that statement...more or less that if it was their intent to have us view the story through that lens. Not that they literally scripted it so that we *must* have tons of on screen evidence that Kylo Ren had "Just Now" awakened to the Force. It's more like as cboath said the Force is awakening in the galaxy...and this in turn had stirred up things in Kylo Ren...what with him not being the only active force user around anymore.

Sometimes you just sound like you're getting so hot under the collar... it's almost like you are having your own Kylo tantrum. :p

As much as the original trilogy was about the redemption of a villain, with Vader once again coming back to the light side, this trilogy will be the rise of a villain and how Ren needs to shed the remaining light within so that he can be the "Vader" he wants to be. So to me it makes perfect sense that while he has been able the master the physical and mental control of the force, he is still struggling with his emotional control.

There were a few key scenes where this was shown quite clearly.

it's almost like you are having your own Kylo tantrum. :p

I don't think that's a good comparison since my computer is still in one piece.

It's more like as cboath said the Force is awakening in the galaxy...and this in turn had stirred up things in Kylo Ren...what with him not being the only active force user around anymore.

I just don't see how being stirred up about not being the only active force user around implies that his dark side has awakened. He didn't need to deal with Force users to show his dark side. Saying that the Dark Side awakened in Kylo Ren during this movie is like saying there is a fire long after the house has already burned down.

he is still struggling with his emotional control. There were a few key scenes where this was shown quite clearly.

Normally when a character struggles with themselves emotionally it would have moments of regret or doubts of the path they've chosen. There are no moments where Kylo questions his own actions or contemplated whether his current path may be the wrong one. He wants to be the bad guy and he's actually doing a good job at it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back