Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

original.jpg

The thing about SW is it gets repeat business. I went and saw this twice. I haven't went to see the same movie in a theater twice since the 80s.

In fact, I'm trying really hard to remember ANY movie I actually saw twice in the theater since Return of the Jedi.

EDIT just remembered the only one since then--THE DOORS......but none since then until TFA

Yea, Avatar only got $2.7 billion because it was in theaters an inordinate amount of time, bolstered by the fact that, I believe, it got a re-release as well. In my book, that second release shouldn't count towards its e nal take. But the industry disagrees, so whatever.

I've seen it five times, so I've made my contribution.

Latest estimates are saying that TFA will most likely fall short of Avatar's world gross. The Chinese release would have to pull in Furious 7-type dollars (yen?), which did amazingly well over there... TFA pre-sales there have been "lukewarm," and the January movie schedule is crowded (they don't allow foreign movies during December).

I have seen TFA exactly once, and for no money. After that I felt, and still feel that I don't want to give Disney/Lucasfilm any more of my money ... except maybe for getting TFA on disc on April 5th only to see if it would be possible to make a descent fan-edit.
TFA marks also the end of my costuming with the 501st/Rebel Legion (because it would promote the Star Wars franchise), but I would probably help as supporter in photo stands etc. as I have done before.
I am upset that I can't get a refund for my ticket to Celebration Europe 3 in July. I'm still undecided what to do with the ticket.

I have never rewatched a movie just to see the movie again: it has always been a special occasion.
I have seen each prequel in theatres exactly twice. TPM: third day and in 3D. AOTC: opening night and last show, ROTS: opening night and as part of a marathon (the first two on DVD).
I'm not old enough to have seen the old movies when they were first shown. I was warned beforehand of the changes in the OT-SE, and that is why I chose to not see them in theatres.

The only other movies I have seen more than once in theatres are the Lord of the Rings movies: opening nights, TTT hosted by Andy Serkis, FotR while waiting in line for RotK, extended editions and a special movie marathon with all three ...

Last edited:
I've seen it five times, so I've made my contribution.

Latest estimates are saying that TFA will most likely fall short of Avatar's world gross. The Chinese release would have to pull in Furious 7-type dollars (yen?), which did amazingly well over there... TFA pre-sales there have been "lukewarm," and the January movie schedule is crowded (they don't allow foreign movies during December).

How the heck do you get insane sales numbers for Furious7 and not Star Wars7? That's crazy! Or maybe they're sick of manufacturing Star Wars products over there and is their way of speaking with their wallets, ha!

As I posted yesterday I saw the film for the 3rd time yesterday,...I noticed a strange edit,....during Han & Leia's conversation about Kylo, theres a shot of Leia, as she says "Do you want me to forget him?....cut...different shot of her,...tighter,...."I want him back".....

It looks different to the style of editing thats used

J

I must make an extra effort to see it at least 3 more times after reading your post. I was gonna see it 1 or 2 more times, but for you I will make it at least 3 more. I have seen it 6 times at this point.

Couple of things. Advance ticket sales in China is not a very good metric, it's not as widely used as it is here. I think TFA has a good chance of running towards $4-500M in China. Avatar's strength was longevity in theaters as people simply went for the visual experience. But it was a long film and that kept down the frequency of showings. Same with Titanic. Word of mouth continues to be very strong and IMAX has committed to the film through Feb. TFA has legs and I look forward to seeing how far they run.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-wars-won-t-break-box-office-record-is-china

The one place where “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” won’t break records is the world’s second-largest movie market -- China -- and without a big performance there the Walt Disney Co. film will struggle to overtake “Avatar” as the top-grossing picture of all time.

“The Force Awakens,” set to open Saturday in China, could gross as much as 1.5 billion yuan ($230 million) through its full run in mainland theaters, according to Nomura Holdings Co. This year’s “Furious 7” holds the record for the biggest international movie in China with $391.4 million in ticket sales, according to researcher Rentrak Corp.

The “Star Wars” franchise, one of Hollywood’s most valuable movie properties, isn’t as well known in China. That presents a marketing challenge for Disney, which paid $4 billion in 2012 for the series creator and plans to make four more “Star Wars” pictures. China, where ticket sales grew 48 percent to $6.75 billion last year, is set to become the biggest movie market in the world as soon as 2017.

“I’m skeptical it’ll hit with many new fans, given the film’s nostalgic tone and the comparatively muted reaction elsewhere in much of Asia,” said Jonathan Papish, an analyst at BoxOffice.com, which predicts $150 million to $200 million in China.

Richard Huang, an analyst at Nomura, expects “Star Wars” to roughly match the $228 million in Chinese box-office sales that “Jurassic World” generated last year.

“My concern is that the last one was 10 years ago and if people are not familiar with the American pop culture, they may not be aware of the movie,” Huang said in an interview.

If u list episodes 1-3 as any of your top 2 star wars films, then ur point is invalid. 4,5,6,7 are great movies. 1,2, and 3 are just pure s***. 1 should be deleted from history.

If u list episodes 1-3 as any of your top 2 star wars films, then ur point is invalid. 4,5,6,7 are great movies. 1,2, and 3 are just pure s***. 1 should be deleted from history.
I love that episode 7 is forcing people to re-look at the prequels and see the merit that is there.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...ven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

For all the things they got wrong, TFA got right. But that goes both ways

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Reading that article, I thought it was a joke. His comments about Williams' original score alone disqualify his ramblings for consideration as anything other than toilet paper. He gets paid to do that? Must be nice.

Yeah that New Yorker piece reads like an Onion article. Is it meant to be ironic? I keep thinking it's a gag.

Yeah, it almost reads as a lesson in sarcasm. If that isn't his intent, his derision of John William's OT score and praise for Ep. 2 in particular (the worst of the PT, imo) pretty much invalidated his opinion in my eyes...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back